• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2021

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Hey peeps, I’ve been pretty quiet on the footy front lately but just wanted to shout out to Dylan Pietsch’s effort in the Olympics, not the result we would have hoped for for him and the team, but what a bloody dream for a young fella from Leeton. Well done to Dylan, Troy and the family!

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Steamers back this week apparently. Good on them for having a dig. How long its feasible is the next question. With semis coming up and the sydney situation getting worse how does that stack up ? Cant see chairman dan backing down on bubbles and borders if sydney cant get it together !

City to win this week 13 + . Its the clubs 70th anniversary game and should be a big day.

Steamers to win in a tight one. Tahs to win in a tight one.

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
That was some certainly some interesting results in games played over the weekend . The Tumut Bulls would have drunk the Royal near dry on saturday night ! There was certainly a cheer from both sides at Connolly when that result was read out !
As for the City v Griffith game , it was a bloody good contest despite the blowout in margin at the backend. Griffith are the real deal. The forwards really have that punch now with latu at 8 . I was impressed with them . I think they can go all the way to the GF if they keep that style of play up.
Now, one of the dynamics of a scuffle is that its needs a catalyst and then a reaction. The on field banter and physicality was particulary high when Griffith scored both those tries in the first half. We are definitely not blameless , but the old rule of life is that it takes 2 to tango.

Looking forward to maybe going to Albury. Who knows what this next 5 days brings ?

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Well as many privately predicted , the comp has shrunk to 6 first grade teams for the balance of the season. Bummer of a way to end a season for the steamers and i do feel for the players and coaches. But the moment chairman dan took wagga out of the border bubble it was all over bar the shouting i think.

What does that mean ? Tumut get a crack - which to be fair they probably deserve. They look to have taken massive strides in the last 6 weeks . Being drawn to play both City and Tahs 3 times did not do them any favours either.

My five cents worth on this weekend ?

Grifiith to roll Tahs . They were impressive against us last week. I think they can do it.
Aggies v Reddies ? No idea ! I'll take reddies purely because they need a win in this tough year.

In a massive historic first the Wallabies will win at Eden park. You heard it here first !

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Well I got that badly wrong. The $5 i paid to see a crushing tahs defeat didnt quite pan out that way ! Tahs put on quite the rugby lesson for Griffith. 2nd half was a bit scrappier but when its 52 zip at half time it doesnt really matter ?

I am told Griffith had 8 changes from the week before though. Not sure why but thats definitely not helpful in a run to the GF.

Well done Reddies on getting the win. Not the most attractive game to watch but they got the job done. You hit a great drive on the 9th and thats what makes you come back they reckon !

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Its worth noting that Central west has awarded minor premiers in each grade the respective premierships. Now while that would benefit my club it certainly would be very hollow. So for that reason i am reluctant to follow that path. We have one asterisk ( allegedly) against us already.

Whilst I personally would love to see a result this year , its hard to see it actually happening going forward.

Athol

Peter Burge (5)
Whilst the Clubb I support will not be playing in Finals after the latest Lockdown extension I personally believe Bubba that City and the respective Minor Premiers of the other Grades should be declared 'PREMIERS' if the Finals cannot be played in time.
Why ? - well because the Competition Rounds were completed and City plus Hay (2nds), City (3rds) & Griffith (Womens) disd all the hard yards during the 16 Week Competition, Secondly, in the old days before Finals etc were thought of the Premiership was awarded to the Team with the most points at the end of the Home & Away season.Even look at the English Premier League and they still award the Premiership to the highest placed team after the H & A Matches - does anyone have a problem with that. Yes, I get the fact that upsets happen during Finals but this is not a normal season and SIRU for some reason don't want to look outside the square which C/West obviously must have done.
I really hope we do get some GFinals and City in 1st Grade repeat what they have already inflicted on Waratahs so far this year - only because they are Miles & Miles ahead of any team in this year's Competition. With Griffith now out of the running I reckon City will put 30+ on Waratahs if they play in a decider and that might even be by half time. Fingers Crossed Bubba u guys get a chance to play for the Premiership - you fully deserve one. This is my final post on this Forum - Generally only ever 2 or sometimes 3 people contributing- keep safe

Last edited:

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
And that was all she wrote.

If todays announcement wasnt the death knell of season 2021 then i'm not sure what else is?

A shame , and we ( City) would have loved to have won that premiership . I guess it will have an asterisk against it now !

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
And that was all she wrote.

If todays announcement wasnt the death knell of season 2021 then i'm not sure what else is?

A shame , and we ( City) would have loved to have won that premiership . I guess it will have an asterisk against it now !
It's a shame all round, but particularly for City. I would have liked to see the GF this year, 2021 was shaping up as such a good season early on, it's disappointing that it wasn't able to finish off in the same fashion.

I hope that City can keep the group of players they have in 2021 together for 2022, likewise for all the clubs. Let's hope 2022 is a full season of rugby from go to whoa!!

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Thanks Sam. Its a shame all round .
Looks like we will keep the bulk but also will be losing a few - which to be fair is normal. A few retirements have gone back 12 months as well ! It has been a great year for city , minor premiers in two grades as well as being (potential ) semi finalist in 2's and womens.

Sadly I will be in hiding as it seems I am wanted for the heinous crime of appearing in a team photo sans mask .

I also am willing to say that the no community sport edict is an unjust, unfair and and poorly thought out decision. If anyone in the rarefied halls of power can tell me what the difference between a gym class of 20 people is and a rugby training session with 20 people , i am all ears. I would be delighted to know ! Community sport is the lifeblood of our towns. The part that a club sport plays in people lives ( socially, mentally and physically ) is not to be underestimated and many would agree with that. I'd hesitate to say but you would suggest that Wagga City Rugby club ( or any Rugby club for that matter) does more for its members and fans than any race meeting or 5 person gathering ever did!

Hopefully we can get back to playing rugby . Maybe Albury might even agree to play us in 2022 !

namtrak

Tom Lawton (22)
Thanks for keeping this forum ticking over Sam, especially with the spate of posters threatening never to post a message again..... I thought SIRU did a grand job of managing the comp this year, hats off to Jack and the board - they hung in there as long as they could. As for playing Wagga City next year, lets hope that one pans out as I can't remember the last time they beat the Steamers in First Grade - would be going back a few years now.......

Bubba

Fred Wood (13)
Thanks for keeping this forum ticking over Sam, especially with the spate of posters threatening never to post a message again... I thought SIRU did a grand job of managing the comp this year, hats off to Jack and the board - they hung in there as long as they could. As for playing Wagga City next year, lets hope that one pans out as I can't remember the last time they beat the Steamers in First Grade - would be going back a few years now...
You're right Namtrak. I cant remember when we last beat Albury in First grade either. Like the Loch Ness monster, Steamers have only been sighted by a select few in 1's of late !

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I reckon it's time to call it quits on the 2021 thread, head on over to the 2022 thread folks :)

I hope everyone enjoys their off-season, gets on the beers, stays safe and socially distant or gets jabbed by Gladys, or doesn't, whatever Trevor just be cool. Ice cold. I want a beer. Maybe more than one actually. No definitely more than one, it's 26 degrees and sunny today, WTF am I posting on a Rugby Forum in this weather?

Link below for anyone keen on not posting for the 2022 Season ;):p:rolleyes: