• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2023

Bubba 2.0

Stan Wickham (3)
Uh oh ! Someone’s been into the low carb beers and late night lamb sandwiches !

in short . No . We don’t pay our players . Never have . We do the same for our players that every other club does . Which would be hypocritical to accuse one club of and another is in the clear .

if I didn’t know better I’d say it was the ghost of Namtrak but we all know he’d not be the sort of bloke who do that sort of thing ?

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Can you expand on that Bubba. What do you do for your players that every other club does that would be hypocritical to mention. I don’t think it’s illegal to pay players in SIRU anyway.

Last edited:

Bubba 2.0

Stan Wickham (3)
Please . You’ve just turned that into some sort of attempted gotcha moment .
All this flurry of posting and calling outs has achieved is to provide entertainment for the Albury based chap that made the original baited post .

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Guys. Do we really want to go into this mudslinging trash again.
New member… maybe needs to chill out a touch.
We’re all here for rugby chat not to take potshots at clubs
Grow up

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Interesting topic. I just assumed financial assistance for players in SIRU was legal. Whether it be direct payment or something backhand like paying someone’s rent. From what Reasoning is implying it is not supposed to be happening. Could someone clarify the situation.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
That is interesting Reasoning. Obviously there are people who believe some clubs in this zone are providing financial assistance to certain players outside the mostly amateur guidelines you have set out above. If true the clubs involved should lose their points.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Uh oh ! Someone’s been into the low carb beers and late night lamb sandwiches !

in short . No . We don’t pay our players . Never have . We do the same for our players that every other club does . Which would be hypocritical to accuse one club of and another is in the clear .

if I didn’t know better I’d say it was the ghost of Namtrak but we all know he’d not be the sort of bloke who do that sort of thing ?
Hey Bubba, neither myself nor CoachMickR can take credit for this. Someone else has been inspired poke the bear I guess.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Hey Bubba, neither myself nor CoachMickR can take credit for this. Someone else has been inspired poke the bear I guess.
However, to be clear - personally I think clubs should be able to pay players. It would at least give us a chance to compete with the other codes locally. I think it’s anachronistic to pretend we are an amateur comp when every other Union I know of makes payments to players. Just embrace the fact that the cost of living forces players to make fiscal decisions around which sport they play. Even $200 a week would be a huge boost to young players. Take the Pacific Islanders in the comp at the moment. A majority of them are here on Migrant Work Visas and are obligated to pay 30% of their salary to a migrant agent - of course they would jump at a few hundred bucks a weekend.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Until Reasoning provided the guidelines I was unaware what they were. I’m also unaware what anachronistic means. Regardless of the sympathetic views Namtrak may have on the subject, if parameters exist each club must operate within them. If one club is providing financial assistance in SIRU either directly or indirectly to players, that club will have a distinct advantage in drawing individuals from professional sports like rugby league.

putitthroughthehands

Herbert Moran (7)
Until Reasoning provided the guidelines I was unaware what they were. I’m also unaware what anachronistic means. Regardless of the sympathetic views Namtrak may have on the subject, if parameters exist each club must operate within them. If one club is providing financial assistance in SIRU either directly or indirectly to players, that club will have a distinct advantage in drawing individuals from professional sports like rugby league.
I totally agree @paul bristow .

Rugby union is a game for gentlemen, not grubby league antics and ways. It loses pride in the town and junior clubs when people start to 'import' and 'pay players' and not display their successful development pathways. You could translate this to schoolboy rugby, similar to Riverview's rugby in that they don't import players whereas Newington, Kings and Scots do. Makes victory sweeter and overall a better rugby culture.

putitthroughthehands

Herbert Moran (7)
Time to leave the 'Can of Worms' Re; Player Payments - although some interesting comments were posted ??
This Saturday's Round of matches will complete the half way point of the season and there are actually 4 pretty good matches:
Ag College (3rd) v City (1st), Waratahs (2nd v Tumut (4th), Deniliquin (5th) v Albury (6th) and Griffith (7th) v CSU Reddies (8th).
Despite the matchups looking to be even contests on paper it is difficult not to see City, Waratahs, Deniliquin and definitely Griffith getting the points.
The current Ladder looks like this ;
City 29, Waratahs 25, Aggies 22, Tumut 21, Deniliquin 14, Albury 7, Griffith 4 and Reddies 0

If Albury are going to make the Finals this season they have to beat the Drovers in Deniliquin this Weekend ! because if they don't Griffith will leap frog them into 6th place with the expected thrashing of the hapless CSU Reddies this Saturday by the Blacks.
Well said @Reasoning . Interesting too see how this weekend plays out.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Ahhh, the old player payment discussion, this one comes around every now and then doesn't it :)

Every club is doing it in some capacity. Some are better than others, some offer different incentives etc etc etc.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Given a NRL player is moving to ARU on 1.6m per year it’s a bit hypocritical to continue our amateur status in rural areas. Lets just go professional. Same with match officials.

Bubba 2.0

Stan Wickham (3)
What do i reckon ? Heres how it plays out :

Deni v Albury : see this is actually a clutch game. Deni wins this , it almost near gurantees them squeezing into finals . I'd like to support my old mate house but i think Deni will be too much for them this saturday . Deni wins 15+

Griffith v Reddies - I can only see a Griffith win . Reddies have neither the numbers or depth to make that trip with any genuine chance of a win. Griffith by 15+

Tahs v Tumut - tumut needs to win these games but i fear they cannot. Tahs will be way to organised and clinical in the key elements of the game . As much as i want the bulls to win , Tahs 15 +

Aggies v City ; a very disrupted week for city but we do love us some chaos ! Aggies are super aggressive and driven through the ruck and breakdown. If we dont bring our A game we could be in trouble pretty quick. Size and brutality at the set piece will make the smaller aggies pack have to work harder. Whilst we will be pushed , City by 14.

Bubba 2.0

Stan Wickham (3)
Well done to Aggies . Comprehensively outplayed us . Didnt let our big boys dominate the game and moved us round to where they wanted to play . Smart coaching and some very smart players. Any yahooing , any drunkeness was well deserved and i'm sure the Farrar was the place to be saturday night!

For us , yep . Move on , reset and start again.