• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2023

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Well done to Aggies . Comprehensively outplayed us . Didnt let our big boys dominate the game and moved us round to where they wanted to play . Smart coaching and some very smart players. Any yahooing , any drunkeness was well deserved and i'm sure the Farrar was the place to be saturday night!

For us , yep . Move on , reset and start again.
Sometimes a loss is the best thing to happen to a team.

ShortBall

Frank Row (1)
Any thoughts into how the SIRU team is gonna be shaped this year. I’m assuming a strong, tahs, aggies, city presence, with a one or two from tumut maybe Albury and Griffith.

ShortBall

Frank Row (1)
Reports from the grapevine, aggies 10 out for up to 4 weeks to add onto the string of backline injuries. Interesting to see if the bloke who steps up can handle the speed.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Just saw the SIRU rep teams. Griffith Blacks women’s team dominating the competition. Waratahs 11 players. Griffith 3.

Last edited:

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Just saw the SIRU rep teams. Griffith Blacks women’s team dominating the competition. Waratahs 11 players. Griffith 3.
I might be reading too much into it but do you think the change from a 40 minute game in SIRU to an 80 minute rep game would come into selection thoughts. Ie are who we are selecting conditioned enough to run out a game double the length. Just a thought

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Reasoning, regarding mens side of Blacks club. There is no great problem. The situation is just a consequence of living in a community which is based on work which can be temporary. A lot of our players work in the wineries, in poultry production with Steggles, seasonal farm work etc. Culture at the club is good. Some years are diamonds, some aren’t so good. We’ve got 3 mens teams that won’t forfeit games this year and a great womens team. We don’t have the player stability of some other clubs.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
A bit hard to fathom Mauler. Women’s comp. Griffith undefeated. Clear leaders. Wagga City 3 players. (same as Griffith) Griffith played them yesterday winning 39-0. Reddies 4 players. Griffith played Reddies a couple of weeks ago winning 65-0. Waratahs a whopping 11 players. When Griffith played Waratahs Griffith won 32-5. Did most of the Blacks team make themselves unavailable. If that’s not the case is anyone available to explain the selection of the rep team.
Important to remember it’s not an available/unavailable situation.
You must nominate and then the side is selected by the coaches and approved by the board.

Very rare that everyone nominates. Always heaps of people looking for a week off in June

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
So let’s get this straight Mauler. Coach and manager from the team that has 11 players selected (50%). Side is selected by coaches. The clearly dominant team (beating Waratahs 32-5) and undefeated this year has 3 players selected. Did most of the Griffith Womens team not nominate for selection? If not is anyone available to explain the selection of this team that is supposed to be representative of the SIRU zone?
I doubt anything I say will get you to put down the pitchfork mate so let’s just leave it.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
From what I can understand most of the Griffith Blacks Womens team didn't nominate to be part of the Representative program. I apologise for insinuations implied in previous comments.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
From what I can understand most of the Griffith Blacks Womens team didn't nominate to be part of the Representative program. I apologise for insinuations implied in previous comments.
good ownership big fella. its the hardest part of rep selecting. the ones you want aren't always the ones you get. we do rather well regardless i reckon

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Good luck to all the rep sides today.
bartv sports is covering the matches. Under 16s and up I believe.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
SIRU Rep team beaten by Monaro 18-12 at Goulburn- an 11 year run comes to an end
I never saw the final squad so it would be intersting to know the calibre of players that put their hands up for Rep. selection this year.
The SIRU women's team had a convincing 27-0 win over Monaro.
Well done to the SIRU women, great work.

My mail says that while SIRU lost the title, they’re still holding onto the cup…

Bubba 2.0

Stan Wickham (3)
And its back on ! Ironic that we had 5 byes last year in the 1's comp , this year just the 1 bye ! Sadly the girls are suffering from multiple byes now - it makes it bloody hard to keep continuity !

So my Kisses of death for week coming :

Albury v Tahs - id like to think Albury can push Tahs at home. I think tahs will just have too much for Albury . Tahs 15+

WAC v Deni - Uni holidays , various players out and I reckon TL is playing smoke and mirrors . Aggies will have way to much in back end for Deni . Deni will score points though - they got that in them in spades ! Aggies by 18+

Griffith v Tumut - this is a bit of a crunch game for Tumut . They need to win this and win it well to stay in that 4th spot . they drop this game and they have it real hard in staying in semis contention. Griffith could spring an upset here , but im still leaning Tumut but not by much ! Tumut 5+

City v Reddies - Reddies appear to be in a bit better place in last few weeks but its not going to cause an upset. City is missing Nepia Crowe but that wont change the situation hugely . Reddies will scrap but City by 13+

The Womens X's :

Griffith by quite some margin is all i can see happening against Tumut

City to squeak home v Reddies by 3

Bubba 2.0

Stan Wickham (3)
Also noticed Leeton got smashed in 2nd Grade yesterday by Ag College (on Uni holidays) - Where are the Phantoms heading as well ??
In no particular order City, Waratahs , Ag College and Tumut (definitely 4th) will play finals this year but we have to wait another 5 weeks for that to happen

I am not sure what the future holds for Reddies but the comp needs them to stay at least viable in SIRU . We drop to a 7 team comp in 1's and its not healthy at all. While as a coach its nice to rattle up a score , as a rugby man it does concern me that we have a comp where the top 3 is set 5 weeks out from semis . And realistically 4th is just about set . So Albury , Griffith and Deni can just start planning 2024 from here on.

Now this is interesting point about Leeton . I took the time to scroll through all their results and the pattern is this : smashed away , competitive at home . In the prior 5 seasons to 2023 , Leeton had pulled out of a senior grade during the season 3 times , fielded 3rd grade only once and second grade once. And while kudos to them for keeping the show going it does ask questions about their viability as well.

Maybe amalgamations are the answer ? Maybe a SIRU 1 grade comp centred on 3rd grade ? Do we look at radical overhauls of SIRU ?

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Seems like 90% of teachers in primary schools are female these days. Maybe Reddies are suffering because a big % of people enrolled in courses are female in that part of the uni.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
The majority of the typically chalk subjects at CSU are delivered online or via a mixed delivery model now while Ag College courses are typically face to face. Remote learning has had a big impact on Reddies.

Bubba 2.0

Stan Wickham (3)
I think finding a student player in Reddies ranks ( mens & womens ) these days would be quite unusual .

So whats the answer ? Do they pivot away from the Uni and present as a 3rd Wagga rugby club ? Do they head north into one grade land ? I cant answer any of that for them but i do know that the comp will be poorer with one less club.

What i do know is that there is lengthy minutes of time given to local aussie rules and rugby league competitions and that our code as a collective seems to come in a poor 4th when it comes to media presence at all levels. Maybe winning the RWC is the answer !