• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks 2010 End Of Year Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
The Springbok selectors on Saturday named 39 players to attend a preliminary training camp as part of the preparation for the end of year tour.

The 15 backs and 24 forwards will gather in Johannesburg on Friday for a two-day camp.

Overseas based players were not considered for the camp.

Preliminary Springbok Training Group:

Backs: Gio Aplon (Vodacom Western Province), Bjorn Basson (GWK Griquas), Juan de Jongh, Jean de Villiers, Bryan Habana (all Vodacom Western Province), Francois Hougaard (Vodacom Blue Bulls), Adrian Jacobs (The Sharks), Elton Jantjies (Xerox Lions), Ricky Januarie (Vodacom Western Province), Zane Kirchner (Vodacom Blue Bulls), Patrick Lambie, Lwazi Mvovo (both The Sharks), Wynand Olivier (Vodacom Blue Bulls), JP Pietersen (The Sharks), Morne Steyn (Vodacom Blue Bulls).

Forwards: Willem Alberts (The Sharks), Bakkies Botha (Vodacom Blue Bulls), Schalk Burger (Vodacom Western Province), Bismarck du Plessis, Jannie du Plessis (both The Sharks), Dean Greyling (Vodacom Blue Bulls), Alistair Hargreaves (The Sharks), Ashley Johnson (Vodacom Free State Cheetahs), Ryan Kankowski (The Sharks), Werner Kruger, Victor Matfield (both Vodacom Blue Bulls), Gerhard Mostert, Tendai Mtawarira (both The Sharks), Coenie Oosthuizen (Vodacom Free State Cheetahs), Dewald Potgieter, Chiliboy Ralepelle, Danie Rossouw (all Vodacom Blue Bulls), Juan Smith, Adriaan Strauss (both Vodacom Free State Cheetahs), Pierre Spies, Deon StegmanN (both Vodacom Blue Bulls), CJ van der Linde (Vodacom Free State Cheetahs), Flip van der Merwe (Vodacom Blue Bulls), Duane Vermeulen (Vodacom Western Province).

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
Conrad Jantjes and Juandre Kruger the two missing from this huuuuggee group who should be there. And a legitimate scrumhalf to replace Januarie. Vermaak, McCleod, Pretorius, anyone but that fat useless quota.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Januarie really is terrible, isn't he? But what about game plan? Anything new for the NH tour? Or the same game plan that lost 5 games in the 3N?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Januarie really is terrible, isn't he? But what about game plan? Anything new for the NH tour? Or the same game plan that lost 5 games in the 3N?

Same coaches. Same deficiencies. Same game plan.

Januarie was actually not terrible in the last two weeks. Unfortunately he has played himself back into Test 22 contention in the CC.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Conrad Jantjes and Juandre Kruger the two missing from this huuuuggee group who should be there. And a legitimate scrumhalf to replace Januarie. Vermaak, McCleod, Pretorius, anyone but that fat useless quota.

Gerhard Mostert, a 4 who has polayed about 2 games all year, gets picked ahead of our most promising 5. Unless Kruger's injury is bad?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Gerhard Mostert, a 4 who has polayed about 2 games all year, gets picked ahead of our most promising 5. Unless Kruger's injury is bad?
Ja Mostert is a strange pick, so is AD Jacobs and Pie Vreter. Jantjes struggled all CC for form and finally hit it on saturday.

Anyway we need combos for the Iere if we want to beat them and we urgently need to change our gameplan to a ball in hand one. The Semis showed again thats the way to do it.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Lots of whining about F Louw not making it. Stegman is in the squad. Whether he makes it on tour remains to be seen. They have to take an openside. At least on the bench.

Anybooty want to specularapontificate over a possible first test team?

I would like to see:
15. Kirchner
14. JP
13. J de Jongh
12. JdV
11. Habana
10. Lambie
9. Hougaard
8. Duane V
7. Juan Smit (c)
6. Schalk
5. Rossouw
4. Botha
3. Jannie
2. Battleship
1. Coenie Ooshuizen

16. Chili
17. Beast
18. vd Merwe
19. Stegman
20. Matfield
21. Anobody but Januarie
22. Morne Steyn

Yeah I know it won't happen but one can dream.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
1. Coenie Ooshuizen

Please explain. I'm not being sarcastic, but I missed a few Currie Cup games and want to know about the bloke - or 'oke'.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
1. Coenie Ooshuizen

Please explain. I'm not being sarcastic, but I missed a few Currie Cup games and want to know about the bloke - or 'oke'.

He has been the best loosehead in the comp for my money. Very strong scrummager and very mobile for a big unit.

I think he is a better scrummager than Beast which is why I would choose him.

http://www.zimbio.com/Coenie+Oosthuizen

PS Paarl would suggest Wikus Blaauw is the go but he is not in the squad which is no surprise because he breaks too often.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Sounds like The Stormers won't release their players for the training camp. No surprise. They can't expect the Stormers and Sharks players to sit around cuddling each other when in a week's time they will be beating the shit out of each other.

More great Springbok planning.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Lots of whining about F Louw not making it. Stegman is in the squad. Whether he makes it on tour remains to be seen. They have to take an openside. At least on the bench.

Anybooty want to specularapontificate over a possible first test team?

I would like to see:
15. Kirchner
14. JP
13. J de Jongh
12. JdV
11. Habana
10. Lambie
9. Hougaard
8. Duane V
7. Juan Smit (c)
6. Schalk
5. Rossouw
4. Botha
3. Jannie
2. Battleship
1. Coenie Ooshuizen

16. Chili
17. Beast
18. vd Merwe
19. Stegman
20. Matfield
21. Anobody but Januarie
22. Morne Steyn

Yeah I know it won't happen but one can dream.
No Matfield?

Oom Lee, Coenie has been great all CC season but I'll pick Beast and put the youngster on the bench. I'll prefer Muskiet over Kirschner in 15. Kirschner maybe solid but I want to see us attack from 15 more often. Muskiet sure is in peak form at this moment.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Agree re APlon Paarl. I clean forgot about him. What a moron. He is in excellent form.

No Matfield. Use him sparingly. There are enough good jumpers in the lineout to win our own ball.

I have vd Merwe on the bench and Matfield. Mistake - replace vd Merwe with another back like Kirchner.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
He has been the best loosehead in the comp for my money. Very strong scrummager and very mobile for a big unit.

I followed that link and googled him also. He sounds like a pig-dog arsehole nutter of a prop.

Does he have an Aussie grandmother? Just curious. We can provide one if he doesn't have one. Maybe one of my old girlfriends. Let me know.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
After watching a lot of Currie Cups games on foxtel I'm surprised that the Boks don't play with a bit more width as most games I've seen have been very fast & physical with very little kicking.

Usually very high scoring matches played at a very high tempo, I personally think that the Currie cup seems faster & more physical than the ITM cup.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
After watching a lot of Currie Cups games on foxtel I'm surprised that the Boks don't play with a bit more width as most games I've seen have been very fast & physical with very little kicking.

Usually very high scoring matches played at a very high tempo, I personally think that the Currie cup seems faster & more physical than the ITM cup.
Ja you so right Boet. WP and the Sharks have made that mindset of their coaches. WP have in Willem a excellent kicker and have the trade of a deep standing Morne Steyn but the coaches (have to be Fleckie) seem to play the quick wide game at the start and will only switch to de Waals boot once they have put up a lead of over 14. The Sharks with Lampie in 10 plays with great success with ball in hand. Dont think Lampie can kick that well and brings on Petoors to seal it. We saaw some great defense from the Brutes , Sharks and WP this weekend.

Snor just have to copy this and we'll be OK.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I followed that link and googled him also. He sounds like a pig-dog arsehole nutter of a prop.

Does he have an Aussie grandmother? Just curious. We can provide one if he doesn't have one. Maybe one of my old girlfriends. Let me know.
Oom Lee never knew you had some Boere skelmpies.

Your Australian fatties at least scored for WP U21s in the semi against the Tin Ears. What a game this was 49-49 and WP going through with scoring more tries and Sadie scoring the leveler after the hooter.

SCORING SUMMARY
Western Province Free State
Conversion Gary Jacques Van Aswegen 5
Penalty Gary Jacques Van Aswegen 3
Try Johann Sadie 1
Try Nick Koster 1
Try Ozard Martin du Toit 1
Try Ruan-Henry Smith 1
Try Sidney Tobias 1
Try Stephan Greeff 1

Conversion Franna du Toit 4
Drop Goal Franna du Toit 1
Penalty Franna du Toit 6
Try Cameron Jacobs 2
Try Inus Micheal Kritzinger 1
Try Pieter Hermias Cornelius Labuschagne 1

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Someone buy the guy in the jumpsuit a beer.

The problem at national level is the idiot with the dead rat on his upper lip. I'll leave you guess who he is.

"Kick it Morne. It worked last year." End of coaching session.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
has stegman still been a penalty machine in the CC? from memory it seemed like he was good for at least a couple infringements every time the took the field for the bulls.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
has stegman still been a penalty machine in the CC? from memory it seemed like he was good for at least a couple infringements every time the took the field for the bulls.

Hard to tell. He has been out injured. He got penalised a lot in the Super 14 and copped a couple of yellow cards. In fact he was relegated to the bench late in the season. I was nervous about it during the S14 finals but he seemed to sort himself out.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Steggies pick is a great one and hope he get his change. I'd be disappointed if he dont get yellows and penalties, thats what he is suppose to get if he do his job and with a bit of experiense he'll get it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.