• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks 2010 End Of Year Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Steggies pick is a great one and hope he get his change. I'd be disappointed if he dont get yellows and penalties, thats what he is suppose to get if he do his job and with a bit of experiense he'll get it right.

I would love to see at 8 Vermeulen first.

I think both of us are going to be disappointed. PdV is going to panic and play Spies/Juan/Schalk.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The CC final will be a decider between some of those loose forwards Duanne/FLouw/Schalk vs Kankowski/Alberts/Daniels.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I would love to see at 8 Vermeulen first.

I think both of us are going to be disappointed. PdV is going to panic and play Spies/Juan/Schalk.

Yeah he's a beast would love to have blokes like Vermeulen & Louw for the Wallabies, can't believe PDV dropped Francis Louw before the test in Brisbane when Pocock ran amok.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah he's a beast would love to have blokes like Vermeulen & Louw for the Wallabies, can't believe PDV dropped Francis Louw before the test in Brisbane when Pocock ran amok.

And now that haven't even got Louw in the squad. All because the Boks played a shit plan, got their arse kicked at the breakdown, and someone had to take the blame. If ever a player fot a raw deal then it's him.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I can't believe that nobody has mentioned the injury to Jacqe Fourie. We won't shed too many tears for the Boks given the absences we have had in 2010, but he's going to be missed by them. He's bloody hard to handle and probably more importantly: is the Boks middle linebacker on defence.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I can't believe that nobody has mentioned the injury to Jacqe Fourie. We won't shed too many tears for the Boks given the absences we have had in 2010, but he's going to be missed by them. He's bloody hard to handle and probably more importantly: is the Boks middle linebacker on defence.

Absolutely Lee but at least one Bok will get some rest...

The upside is that Juan de Jongh gets game time and we build some depth.

But Fourie is a beast and they fear him up North. He does turn Irish backs into the proverbial speedbump...ask O'GoneOverYa

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Think we notice it on the CC thread Oom Lee. Our top three midfielders all play for WP and like Blou qouted this will give JdJ his change in his best position. He and Jean have played now quite a bit CC as a combo and make a very good one. Wont class JdJ in Mossie's class at the moment but he sure is getting along nicely.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Absolutely Lee but at least one Bok will get some rest...

The upside is that Juan de Jongh gets game time and we build some depth.

But Fourie is a beast and they fear him up North. He does turn Irish backs into the proverbial speedbump...ask O'GoneOverYa

Well, we'll see if you manage to get a win against us in the NH, then. Been, ooh, eight years now and counting, hasn't it?

Of course, the poor ikkul tough Saffies can't play if it's cold because their poor ikkul handies get cold, apparently. Or something. Bless.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Well, we'll see if you manage to get a win against us in the NH, then. Been, ooh, eight years now and counting, hasn't it?

Of course, the poor ikkul tough Saffies can't play if it's cold because their poor ikkul handies get cold, apparently. Or something. Bless.

What's the story for your lot when they come down here?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)

Dunno if its the green jerseys or Oom Gert or Ds Trimble or the Munster Monster but theres something fishy and about time we set the record straight against that Gemmer Bleek Bene for a change. Specially before next year but I dont have much hope with only a week preparation after the WP and Guppies try and kill each other in the CC final.

Snor and kie better pick combos and change to a ball in hand approach otherwise its business as usual. This Bok suppporter still have high hopes my Ierse Boer!

Gaan jy kyk?

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Nee, Oom, ek kannie; met dié blerrie nuwe oude huis wat van 'n nuwe dak nodig het, is ek te arm om enigiets te doen nie. As ek 'n paar tjekke kry, miskiens, maar op die oomblik, sal ek nie daar wees nie. :(

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Nee, Oom, ek kannie; met dié blerrie nuwe oude huis wat van 'n nuwe dak nodig het, is ek te arm om enigiets te doen nie. As ek 'n paar tjekke kry, miskiens, maar op die oomblik, sal ek nie daar wees nie. :(
'n Boer maak 'n plan! Is myselwers bankkrot op die oomblik. Kry nie die kinners uit my sak nie.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

The Irish have had the wood over us in Ireland of late. No denying that. We have struggled in the last three games over there (2004, 2006, 2009). One of course with a little help from the ref but let's not go there again.

It has nothing to do with the cold. It's all about the total global rugby domination of the Irish. The fantastic record when travelling to the Southern Hemis...oh wait.

Maybe it is the cold? Not only are you good at rugby, you're also more clever than us! Fuck me.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Ireland have lost 5 on the trot, counting friendlies (Baa Baas and the Maori - provided any game against Maori could be classed as a friendly), but the Boks should not get too cocky against Ireland. They have a lot of form players.

I wouldn't rely on Ireland's form Down Under as an indication of how the Boks will do in Dublin; their own form Down Under, winning only 1 out of 6 in 3N wasn't that great either.

It's true that NH teams don't do as well in the SH, as SH teams do in the NH when they visit - (and if they happen to win one in the SH when an opponent misses a penalty right in front and not far out, the wanking starts) - but Ireland should not be taken lightly based on their form in June.

Like us, Ireland just has 4 pro teams and a small base of players but they have a much tougher programme than we do. If we had their schedule we would struggle to win a game on our EOYT tour too, because we would have even more players MIA than we do now.

As for their test against the Boks: yes, their first string TH lock (POC), scrummie (TOL), and maybe hooker (Flannery) will be missing, but the Boks are missing first string players too.

Some players seemed to have stepped up since they were here a few months ago. Buckley started at THP against Oz at SunCorp but he is looking more dominant in scrums these days. [Let's not mention LHP as Healey is not a great scrummager though dynamite around the park.] 10. Sexton has only been back a few weeks from injury but already he seems to have advanced to be a complete package.

12. D'Arcy didn't play on tour but is healthy now and back to his best, and 15. Kearney seems to have left his patchy form of last year behind him. Ireland are spoiled for choice on the wing. Bowe will be on one side of the park but who on the other?

The Ireland backrow was decimated for their tour and none who started at Suncorp will start against the Boks. The choice of the backrow will difficult because of too many healthy form players, including Leamy who was out for most of last year, and O'Brien, virtually unknown in this neck of the woods, but is an energiser bunny.

I'm looking forward to this game and reckon that Ireland have a good chance.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Lee:

I pick Ireland to beat us again. They grow an extra leg when they play us. The back row battle will play a huge role and I hope we pick the right combo (which is Schakl/Smit/Vermeulen for those conditions.)

The Boks are very unsettled and there is a lot of tension which will come to the surface very early in in the tour.

Uncertainty over game plan, front line players injured / rested doesn't help.

I see a shaky tour in the shaky Isles for us.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Wynand Olivier out for the season. Groin op.

No doubt Adi Jacobs will tour after 20 minutes of rugby in the last four months.... (he's fat and bald so someone can keep Januarie company at the buffet with J Smit not on tour.)

Doppies La Grange is the guy who should be the next cab off the rank.

I would rather see F Steyn at 12 than Adi in case JdV breaks down.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Incidentally, we're now down another LH. Horan broke his wrist in the gym, and is out for 5-6 weeks.

If there's any way we can re-badge Onse Wiantjie, I'm up for it. Feed him spuds instead of pap, we'll have him Irished up in no time.

Because Healy will be eaten up and shat out, quick smart. I've no fear of Buckley any more, but Healy - eish. Turns out it wasn't just a big seagull that that black cat that we ran over was eating...

Looking at the complete footage of last weekend's match, I'd have to say ROG, Stringer, Mushy and Leamy are on fire. Stringer and Leamy are starting to build a an Asterix-esque "Cunning midget and great big bruuuuuuttttte" axis we've not seen since the glory days of Stringer and Axel Foley.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

Thomond, You seem to speak Paarl very well. Can you become the official translator?

Status
Not open for further replies.