• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks v Wallabies, Loftus Versfeld, Sun 9th Jul 1.05am AEST

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
Rennie was building something with the team (and before the people get hysterical about the Italy game, remember it was a gamble playing our second strong team).

Jones is stuck in the 2019 box-kick/ kick everything era; thinking he had Farrell and George out there.

The honeymoon is definitely over for Eddie.

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
Vuni doesn't understand the game yet. He has really suffered from missing all those games with the Reds. Marika was similar when he first came across. Based on tonight's performance Petaia, Kellaway and Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) are all ahead of him. I do think Vuni is trying hard but just doesn't have the experience in Union.
I agree with this and think that eventually he will become a pretty handy rugby player. Unfortunately playing for the Wallabies in a World Cup year is not the time to do it.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well I watched this before AB's test, and was almightily impressed with the Boks. They were scarey good, and Wallabies seemed to not have an answer. Wallaby backs never got any decent ball to show what they capable of, so perhaps Eddie will have a little head scratching to do.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
A player has to try and catch the ball. The can't just hit it. It was clear that Vuni was not making any attempt to catch it and this has been a yellow card for a while.

But yeah...it was a pretty bad game
A player can bat the ball. They can’t do it forward. If you get in a passing channel and deliberately bat the ball towards your own goal line, it is fine.

If you do knock it forwards it then becomes relevant whether you were trying to catch it or just knock it down.

For the record - I’m not arguing that the ref was wrong in this instance. Vunivalu slapped it forward.

Last edited:

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
Disastrous result for RA and a few pretenders in that team who probably won’t play for Australia again under this coach.

Well done to South Africa - killed the Wallabies across the park.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I’m going to leave the coach out of this, as well as the garbage being thrown at our incumbent and best ever players. Flogging teams in Pretoria is SOP for the Boks, I don’t know why they play anywhere else. As for the experimental players:

16. Uelese - throws shit but at least that is something that can be fixed. He played well otherwise, start him against Argentina and then make a call
5. Skelton - bad choice for this game, also start him against Argentina
19. Arnold - if I didn’t know better I would have assumed it was his twin still on holidays in Ibiza or wherever
6. T Hooper - good player but this is not his year
12. Hodge - there to reap the benefits of altitude but it didn’t work. Put him on the plane to France but only because he can cover every position in the backline reliably, and probably flanker too
14. Vunivalu - no. Just no. Never again
23. C Gordon. Yes.

Last edited:

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
I can't help but wonder how the end of year tour would have gone last year under Rennie if he had access to Quade, Marika, Koro, Skelton, Arnold and the leniency Jones has been offered.
Two Koroibetes for Rennie? You are so generous

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
Quade was honestly fine. I think we are finally in a position where we have two quality fly halves in Gordon and QC (Quade Cooper) (Quade Cooper)- let’s use that luxury to ease Gordon into it with a couple of 20/ 30 minute cameos.
Too soon to count Gordon as a quality test fly-half for a try at 80 minutes in a slaughter. And I quite like the kid

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
12. Hodge - there to reap the benefits of altitude but it didn’t work. Put him on the plane to France but only because he can cover every position in the backline reliably, and probably flanker too
Hodge has been poor all the year, couldn't kick properly last night being his main attribute to get a call. For me he's done. I'd call Paisami and I'm not a big fan of Hunter

Put him on the plane to France

I strongly support this idea. Non-stop to Bayonne, please

Last edited:

HogansHeros

Bob Loudon (25)
Such a disappointing result, but far out people get hysterical on here.

Nothing really wrong with Frosts performance.
Skelton will start again next week, didnt make the impact that was expected, wasnt that awful tho.
T.Hooper thrown in the deep end, poor bloke, but made some silly defensive mistakes leading to 2 tries, taking him off was warranted.
Will be nice to have Toupo and Bell back.
Wright didnt get much of a chance to show himself, but still would like to see Kellaway, a level head, given a shot.
Hodge works great off the bench, will be nice to see Kerevi start.
With almost no possession, and an unsuccessful game plan, Cooper didnt get a chance to proove himself, but Gordon was exciting!
Can we please bring Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) back on the wing.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I just had a read back over this thread, and not sure I watched the same game as some of the posters. I am a neutral, so look at it a bit differnt I suppose, and also we didn't have Aussie commentators who sometimes may colour the match slightly differently.
I will say I not sure why anyone would rubbish Quade, he was 10 behind a well beaten pack, and I didn't see any great cock ups. Boks won that by beating up Wallaby pack comprehensively, end of story. Also thought the game was well reffed, from the sound we got in NZ he was incredibly clear in his instructions etc, and I didn't see either team get a run of anything against them. He may of missed one or two things as all refs do, but nothing that stood out to me. Ias I said I got up and watched it before AB/Puma test, and enjoyed game.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Some of the takes trying to make this a Rennie v Eddie situation are laughable. Neither coach would have won this game with this group of players. And by group I mean player’s available.

This was a rugby strong nation sending out their reserves against a once great rugby nation (missing a few players) and it really showed.

I was pretty vocal about this being disrespectful and being a Boks 2nd team and even I didn’t understand the depth they have across all those positions. I think NZ will struggle against them.

Eddie isn’t wrong that the Australian public love a winning team so he’s got a lot of media spinning over the next 6 months to keep this squad relevant.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It was a pretty poor performance. I’m not surprised of the mood on here. Nor that some are taking aim at their favourite targets and/or giving leave passes to their personal preferences. It has always been this way and always will be.

Our set piece, defence, discipline, kicking and ball control all poor. Everyone needs to be better.

A couple of players back from injury would help but that team was probably as close to having a full strength team as we are generally going to have in test rugby.

Jones reaction in team selection will be very interesting - but we mostly need this group of players that play much better.

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ok, just finished watching the game. Now to digest the fallout.

The approach Eddie wanted for this game was rather plan to see, but it became so consistently predictable that at no stage did the Bok's ever looked to be put under a lot of pressure in alignment or guessing at what was coming. It was too much kick and pray for me.

I think the most disappointing thing was some of our leaders and key players either executing poorly or making poor choices. The Nick White held up and forward passes come to mind. I'm also of the opinion that we can't be using Internationals to see if Vunivalu is up to it. My take, he's not there and we don't have time to get him there.

Some players showed their class. Skelton is a genuine point of difference and brings something we don't have at this level. Koroibeti continues to show his genuine world class status. I'm continually impressed by Frost who I think could evolve into a Wallaby great. But in most positions, man for man, you'd be picking one of the Bok's players based off this game.

So I guess the question is where to next. A different plan against the Pumas? Try to embed this more NH approach of a low possession, kicking game, with attack when you finally get into the right zone?

Last edited:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think someone asked here - not the first time we have had two penalty tries against us. That was 2010 v England in Perth

Reactions: TSR

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Some misguided and extremely questionable takes on this thread. I just watched the game and I can’t pinpoint anyone that was absolute garbage. Sometimes I wonder if I’m watching the same game or if half the people have any proper knowledge of how the game works in these threads.

Reality is we were just bashed in the collisions as a collective. We need big and abrasive in the forwards, I think that’s where Eddie’s thoughts will go. As a country we have really suffered in this department the last 20yrs as the game has professionalized because historically we have put little premium on this and our mentality on how the game should be played in some quarters doesn’t match winning rugby.

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)
Our set piece, defence, discipline, kicking and ball control all poor. Everyone needs to be better.
I actually thought our set piece with our run on side wasn't too bad. The lineout which I was suspect/concerned about with our selection choices operated much better than expected and the scrum was generally good until Kitshoff started playing shenanigans with AAA's. The kicking also wasn't particularly bad in the first half either. Uelese highlighted why he shouldn't be in an international team until he can throw straight. None of his throws looked particularly great.

Some poor kicks seemed to creep in when the Wallabies were starting to operate under pressure. You could tell a few times they maybe overcooked it a tad at altitude. The kick chase I thought was rather poor Korobeti aside. I never really felt like we were ever genuinely going to regather and players at this level are quality under a high ball, especially the Bok's who have been playing this style and in the NH for awhile now.