• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks v Wallabies - Sunday 2 October 1am AEST - Loftus Versfeld

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Test will be a sold out. AC will select Steyn & Paige for this one and will play high kick and charge, with the Bulls crowd going mad.

Cooper to have a good test, Wallabies by 50.

I'm having real trouble picking this one. And my heart is confused too. I love African rugby, and the Boks really really need this one. The fans really really need this one.

I dont like that the Lions experiment is probably over. Or that Lambie just slots in over Jantjies. Or Hougard over Flaff.

But I'm also thinking it's time for the Wallabies in a history breaker on the high veldt.

Cooper is not the key here. Or maybe a bit, kicking will be key (Hodge, maketh the time, maketh the man.) and our freaking line out. Was last game an abberation? Or are we ready for a cranky SA line out? Eztachest freaks out no opposition like he freaks out the Wallabies.

Reactions: mst

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
The previous meeting was sealed by the boot. 2 tries each and it was penalties that made the difference.

I think both teams are still yet to settle on a cohesive and fully fictional (let alone convincing) back-line or have a game plan that utilises the back-line.

It will be tight I think and the difference may simply be the home ground advantage and the boot of Steyn.

I don't think the public will let the Lions experiment die easily - and I hope they don't.

The Boks should win the lineout out battle and hold their own in the forwards. I think they also hold the edge on the wings.

My prediction is the Boks by 2.

As for going forward, the Lions game plan is the way forward for the Boks, especially with a roster consisting of Janties, Lambie, Pollard and Steyn; with others in the wings waiting.

As for the Jake White rumours - I fear it would be a step backwards!

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The big question for me, Matt, is how much will the Boks win the Line Out battle? Not whether they will.

Looking forward to see the actual team selections.

Reactions: mst

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
The big question for me, Matt, is how much will the Boks win the Line Out battle? Not whether they will.

Looking forward to see the actual team selections.

Team selections will be interesting but I am not sure how influential. The combinations available to both teams are relatively new or rusty.

Last game the Boks turned over 2 Wallabies lineout and won all of heir own. Mumm was in the team and he has really good lineout take stats so it was as good as it gets. Add in that Moors throws are not great atm, and no TPN so its a new Hooker I thing they will lose a few (2-5 if they are at their best), but most of all the lineout ball wont be easy clean ball off the top to use.

This game I think the scrum will be important unlike other games.

The wild card for me - if the Boks can get their winger in to the game it will blow it open!

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
From the smh (bench named on Friday)

Wallabies XV (1-15): Scott Sio, Stephen Moore, Sekope Kepu, Rob Simmons, Adam Coleman, Dean Mumm, Michael Hooper, Sean McMahon, Will Genia, Quade Cooper, Reece Hodge, Bernard Foley, Samu Kerevi, Dane Haylett-Petty, Israel Folau.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Read they are keeping the forwards intact for the sake of the lineout. Baring injury, where does that leave guys like douglas, fardy and timani for the next huge extended period of time? Because those other guys are considered the best lineout combo, will these guys be forever subjected to bench positions at best? I would have thought Fardy would be a shoe in to start to get a balanced backrow v springboks and I didn't think Simmons in his big comeback game was any better then Douglas in his below average games that got him dropped.

Seems to me the lineout is being put at the top of the importance pile, just wondering how much credence it will be given if other areas start to fall away.

Hate to think someone is purely in a team for a slightly better lineout option. IFor example, if Simmons goes back and has more games with no involvement, no impact, no aggression, will he be dropped or will cheika regard it as the lesser of two evils and support the lineout.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I thought Simmons was good that game and I think the stats agree.

With Pocock out I'd be surprised if we play the same pack. Regardless of who you bring in the balance changes and other selections need to offer different skills.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Can't say I'm thrilled with Chieka stuffing around with the locking pair again. Perhaps Douglas is injured? I know it's not a 9/10 or 10/12 combo but the combination between two locks is pretty important and one that takes a fair while to develop. Douglas didn't have his best run but Simmons isn't in top form either so I'd prefer he just stick with Douglas and Coleman and let them settle into it and build their combination.

The back row is also a little uninspiring. I am not a fan of Mumm but even by his standards I thought he was pretty bloody awful so would've prefered Fardy back or even McMahon to play 6 and someone like Timani to play 8.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
From the smh (bench named on Friday)

Wallabies XV (1-15): Scott Sio, Stephen Moore, Sekope Kepu, Rob Simmons, Adam Coleman, Dean Mumm, Michael Hooper, Sean McMahon, Will Genia, Quade Cooper, Reece Hodge, Bernard Foley, Samu Kerevi, Dane Haylett-Petty, Israel Folau.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Mediocre selection again
Chek not prepared to mix it up a bit so no doubt we will see the same type of performance.
Maybe the criticism is getting to him a bit and he's playing the safety card. I didn't think Cheika would do that but it seems to be happening,
Hate to say it but I think the team will struggle, whether they win or lose, to become the clear Number 2 rugby nation in the world.
Boks by 15:(

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Mediocre selection again
Chek not prepared to mix it up a bit so no doubt we will see the same type of performance.
Maybe the criticism is getting to him a bit and he's playing the safety card. I didn't think Cheika would do that but it seems to be happening,
Hate to say it but I think the team will struggle, whether they win or lose, to become the clear Number 2 rugby nation in the world.
Boks by 15:(

You think the team will struggle to become the clear number 2 team in the world after being pumped 3-0 by England and 2-0 by the allblacks?

Bit of an understatement.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Read they are keeping the forwards intact for the sake of the lineout. Baring injury, where does that leave guys like douglas, fardy and timani for the next huge extended period of time? Because those other guys are considered the best lineout combo, will these guys be forever subjected to bench positions at best? I would have thought Fardy would be a shoe in to start to get a balanced backrow v springboks and I didn't think Simmons in his big comeback game was any better then Douglas in his below average games that got him dropped.

Seems to me the lineout is being put at the top of the importance pile, just wondering how much credence it will be given if other areas start to fall away.

Hate to think someone is purely in a team for a slightly better lineout option. IFor example, if Simmons goes back and has more games with no involvement, no impact, no aggression, will he be dropped or will cheika regard it as the lesser of two evils and support the lineout.

I don't think Mumm is picked because he is better then Fardy in the line-out. They are about equal, but Mumm has performed better around the field and hasn't given away many penalties.

Simmons has also performed slightly better around the field then Douglas. Plus line-out is wat better - so that's a no brainer.

Fardy & Douglas surely will have chance to get back to form via training and coming off the bench. Both could easily force their way into the starting xv I'd imagine.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Ahh, the armchair selectors know best again ;).

If Tom Decent is right though, and there's no proof that he is, I'm actually relatively refreshed that Cheika's sticking with the same lineup excluding the forced change. Mumm didn't have a very good game last weekend, but he had been good prior and Fardy hasn't really staked a claim to get the spot back in his one NRC game. I get the balance issue and presumably McMahon and /or Hooper will be charged with higher breakdown involvement.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
You think the team will struggle to become the clear number 2 team in the world after being pumped 3-0 by England and 2-0 by the allblacks?

Bit of an understatement.

It's just wishful thinking (being number 2) but with the team selected and the dynamics I can't see it happening.

Maybe I set my wishes way too high but that's me and the way I was raised.

I think in the current environment, mediocrity is the best I can hope for.

Status
Not open for further replies.