• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks v Wallabies - Sunday 2 October 1am AEST - Loftus Versfeld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I see a lot of advantages having experienced players helping close out games.

Of course, that is not always possible or practical - but lack of experience/composure at the death can be very influential in a close game.

I am not saying a change would be a bad thing in this case, all I am saying is sticking with consistancy can be explained rationally.

It really is a conundrum whether you put your absolutely best players on the field at the start or hold a couple/few back to "finish" the game.

If you don't start your best the game can be over by the time the finishers take the field and they make no difference to the final result.

However if the game is very close at the 60 minute mark the "finishers" might actually make the difference and win the game.

It's a tough question.

Dalai Ninja

Ward Prentice (10)
Can't say I'm thrilled with Chieka stuffing around with the locking pair again. Perhaps Douglas is injured? I know it's not a 9/10 or 10/12 combo but the combination between two locks is pretty important and one that takes a fair while to develop. Douglas didn't have his best run but Simmons isn't in top form either so I'd prefer he just stick with Douglas and Coleman and let them settle into it and build their combination.

The back row is also a little uninspiring. I am not a fan of Mumm but even by his standards I thought he was pretty bloody awful so would've prefered Fardy back or even McMahon to play 6 and someone like Timani to play 8.

Didn't Simmons and Coleman start the last test?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Start with your best, always.

The whole "finishers" thing is just semantics. Clever use of language.
I agree with your first statement, but with the rider that I feel some players are more suited to finishing if there is a comparable player available to start. At test level, I see TPN as an example.

I disagree with the second comment - although I am possibly misinterpereting it. I reckon plenty of players have won bench spots over other contenders based on their suitability at the death.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I see a lot of advantages having experienced players helping close out games.

Of course, that is not always possible or practical - but lack of experience/composure at the death can be very influential in a close game.

I am not saying a change would be a bad thing in this case, all I am saying is sticking with consistancy can be explained rationally.

and for a prop we are getting concerned over who gets 5-10 minutes more playing time

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Haha! That's my problem. They aren't late nights for me. It's more a case of, do I stop what I'm doing to watch the Rugby, or just have it on in the background?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I thought it was named today with bench to be announced tomorrow? Or was the SMH article, just the authors best guess? This was the post.

From the smh (bench named on Friday)

Wallabies XV (1-15): Scott Sio, Stephen Moore, Sekope Kepu, Rob Simmons, Adam Coleman, Dean Mumm, Michael Hooper, Sean McMahon, Will Genia, Quade Cooper, Reece Hodge, Bernard Foley, Samu Kerevi, Dane Haylett-Petty, Israel Folau.

EDIT: Can't find anything official that has a team list though so who knows.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
There hasn't been anything official announced but this AAP article is also being promoted on the ARU website:

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2016/09/28/23/53/hodge-one-of-the-best-kicks-i-have-seen-byrne

"Hodge has retained his spot on the left wing and will make his fourth appearance for Australia in Saturday's Rugby Championship clash against the Springboks at Loftus Versfeld (Sunday morning AEST)."

It's 9am in Joburg now so I expect it will be announced anytime soon.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I thought it was named today with bench to be announced tomorrow? Or was the SMH article, just the authors best guess? This was the post.

EDIT: Can't find anything official that has a team list though so who knows.

Think they were due at 1:00 pm Thursday. Jo'burg time.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
WALLABIES TEAM

1. Scott Sio
2. Stephen Moore (c)
3. Sekope Kepu
4. Adam Coleman
5. Rob Simmons
6. Dean Mumm
7. Michael Hooper
8. Sean McMahon
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Reece Hodge
12. Bernard Foley
13. Samu Kerevi
14. Dane Haylett-Petty
15. Israel Folau
RESERVES

(One to be omitted)
16. James Hanson
17. James Slipper
18. Tom Robertson
19. Kane Douglas
20. Scott Fardy
21. Lopeti Timani
22. Nick Phipps
23. Tevita Kuridrani
24. Sefa Naivalu

Alex Sharpe

Chris McKivat (8)
Mumm over Fardy again.
Did Michael Cheika catch Scott Fardy flirting with his wife? Because that is the only reason I can think of for cheika prefering Dean Mumm. It cannot be the lineout because Rob Simmons isn't getting picked for anything other than lineout management.
Surely Fardy offers more at the breakdown as well, which could be timely with Dave Pocock out

Status
Not open for further replies.