• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SRAU RD 10 - Force v Reds Friday 23rd April HBF Park

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Silly me. I am old fashioned enough to wonder what the point is in terms of developing Australian talent. If all it takes to win games is to have the deepest pockets, then we will never win, will we?

I guess it depends on whether you see Super Rugby teams as feeder clubs for the Wallabies or as an individual team that is there to win for it's fans.

As a Reds supporter I want them to win every week, if they can provide Wallabies then that is great, but they are playing to win, if you get an import to win games then the supporters will be happy.

I doubt many Force fans are upset at this season compared to last because they have imports.

Reactions: TSR

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The main issue is our best athletes are divided across three codes. If the likes of David Fifita and Josh Papalii were all being funnelled into one code we would be AB level. Simple as that.

Dunno man, hell of a lot kiwis in league.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The main issue is our best athletes are divided across three codes. If the likes of David Fifita and Josh Papalii were all being funnelled into one code we would be AB level. Simple as that.
Sure. But that’s not going to change. So we need to do more with less.

And whilst I don’t think when Darwin’s cohesiveness argument is necessarily the be all and end all for Australian rugby, having a smaller, tighter group of players is not an altogether bad thing. But it needs to be a quality comp. And there needs to be a funnel of players coming through to step into the gap left by departures.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It should have been a Red, the colour of the card should not be decided by whether someone gets spinal injuries.
I agree with your sentiment- I was simply meaning I don’t think that is what the rules say. Under the rules I believe the ref made the right call. I might be wrong.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
TK was a red card for sure.

I think the force can start building with Aussie players over the next few years and get back to to where we were when we got booted. With way more Aussies that can compete for wallaby spots. We got booted at the worst time. The force were finally starting to turn into a finals footy team

Reactions: dru

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Great game. Bad luck reds, not sure why this thread devolved into some discussion about money when we have a great game to talk about. I would have liked to have seen the reds steal it at the end, the scrum was the right call imo, we already had top spot so no point in taking the draw. The Force wanted this badly and I’m glad they’re in a semi final, who knows we might even see them in Brisbane.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Great game. Bad luck reds, not sure why this thread devolved into some discussion about money when we have a great game to talk about. I would have liked to have seen the reds steal it at the end, the scrum was the right call imo, we already had top spot so no point in taking the draw. The Force wanted this badly and I’m glad they’re in a semi final, who knows we might even see them in Brisbane.

No draws........... it would have gone into golden point extra time.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Just realised that. Why chance injuries etc in a longer match. If one of our key players gets injured in a non competitive game there goes the GF. Back the move to either win it or lose it there and then

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Card aside, I've been really impressed with Kuridrani's form this season. He's passing the ball better than I've ever seen, hitting hard in defence and just making smart plays.

It feels like he's 38 but he's only 30. Probably behind Ikitau and Paisami but we could do worse in a Wallaby squad.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Card aside, I've been really impressed with Kuridrani's form this season. He's passing the ball better than I've ever seen, hitting hard in defence and just making smart plays.

It feels like he's 38 but he's only 30. Probably behind Ikitau and Paisami but we could do worse in a Wallaby squad.
It's his defence, as usual, that impresses me most. Given Rennie seems to want to play a rush defence style game, could do worse than 12. Paisami 13. TK.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
From Sea of Blue member Sam Nunn waxing lyrical.....

Finals!

T’was the night before lockdown and all through the State
not a single employer made their workers work late.
On the eve of the ANZAC Day long weekend
COVID had struck, into lockdown again

Many rushed to the shops or took to their heels
To make it down south, out of Perth and of Peel.
But for over 6000 there was but one destination
to HBF Park, to watch in fascination.

as the Force fought again to stay in the race
and for the 1st time in history book a finals place.
Queensland were favourites, all set for glory
but that changed in an instant with that hit on Paisami.

Paisami scored and then Taniela Tupuo
and some callow souls thought “Oh, again, here we go”.
But Olowefela was past overdue
and took to his heels to show us what he could do.

Then Old Man Tevita showed us the Tevita of old
and the past met the future with a clash of bones.
A George Miller moment, whispered the breeze,
“Two men enter, one man leaves.”

It wasn’t obvious, at least not right away
but those with a nose felt something change.
Still trailing the score board, behind on every stat
there was a hint of something that brewed after that.

With a man in the bin for nearly half of the game
the Force stayed within striking again and again.
As Mike Tyson said, way back in the day
“Everyone has a plan until their punched in the face”.

And that’s just what the Force did, metaphorically.
Played direct and aggressive, with physicality.
They weren’t going down, not without a fight.
Wouldn’t die wondering, no, not tonight.

Its been a long time since a hat trick we’ve seen.
It was just like watching Nick’s highlight reel.
Both with an intercept, both with speed out and down
and both had to fight to get one to ground.

The fans are asking what game ranks along side it?
I guess Hodgo’s last game or against Panasonic?
Or the 1st win at Subi, all those years ago now.
But for me, last night was best. Last night takes the crown.

3 weeks. 3 wins. All from behind.
There’s something special in that, something hard to define.
Now off to Canberra, to finals footy!
Practice your place kicks Domingo Miotti!

Or Ian, or Jack or whoever’s on duty.
For all that I care it could be Sitaleki Timani!
But we’ll be with you, from a long way away,
from our arm chairs and lounge rooms in WA.

I hope you win, I really want you to.
Man what a story after all we’ve been through!
But win lose or draw you’ll put up a good fight.
You’ve made the finals. Thank you for last night.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
The WF is establishing a new tradition with a sing-along after the team song.
Marcel Brache is evidently the choir master who gets to choose the songs.
The Argentinians seemed a bit confused by the passion shown by the Aussies for JF's The Voice a couple of weeks ago.
Seems to be a trend of showing up in budgies (or less).
ps My wife's a strong supporter of this trend.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The discussion wasn’t about money. It was about the respective pros/cons of imports.

Personally I find it an interesting topic and the context was around the performance of Jordan Olowofela.

Seemed entirely appropriate to the thread from my perspective.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
TSR - all I can say is, the last time the Force entered into Super Rugby the Reds had a fair amount of talent head west. Thankfully, Daddy Twiggy spent his money else where.

Hopefully we'll see some more local players come through the ranks over West, or return from the Rebels.

Reactions: TSR

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
Congratulations to the Force. Just watched the game then and out enthused the Reds. It’s definitely disappointing as a Reds fan but great to see the Force on a roll and winning such a big game in front of their home crowd. I’m hoping it will prove to be a massive rocket for the Reds though so hopefully a big benefit can come from it and the Reds can really laser focus for the final.

On a related note, boy there was some perplexing calls both ways by Damon Murphy. He is just consistently off in his understanding and feel for a game. This is maybe a bit weird to say but I also thinks he lacks, I dunno, gravitas? Which I think affects communication with players and game flow.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Fantastic coverage in the West Australian on Saturday morning.
Only Covid's impact on the AFL Western Derby kept Rugby Union off the back page.

scan0002.jpg