• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) Rd 3 Force v Reds in Perth

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
Reds emphatic in returning to top form.

Game was in the balance though until Tupou came on to the ground. That changed the whole tempo and the Reds then were able to convert their dominance into points late in the game.

As others have said, McReight, Wilson and Uru were outstanding; Paisami very dangerous (looked to me that he played 12 in attack. Stewart might be the Reds No 12, but Paisami is the Wallaby No 12 until Kerevi returns). In the Force, Fines-Leleiwasa, FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner), Rodda and Kahui were very good.

JOC (James O'Connor) MOTM.
Good summary

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Godwin has never been a threat in attack but I always thought he was a solid defender but yes he was embarrassed last night. Shame kuridrani was passed his prime and didn’t work out

maybe we need to look at kuenzle and kahui together next week otherwise just give makara a crack at 13 and see what happens

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
My first post wasn't a whinge about the ref or anything like that. The better team won. But the time wasting by the Reds ruined the game imo. And a lot of others who watched it. It was very slow and stop start. Was an obvious tactic by the Reds. Maybe the week was that bad they were not conditioned the best. If that was one of the NZ games the NZ refs would have not let them to do. They hate the time wasting.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Shiggins, I'd give you some credit for chasing the whole time wasting thing if the game ended close, but it was 4 tries to 1.

Id be crankier at my back lines woeful communication especially from a seasoned back in Godwin.

With all the breaks you're complaining about, Godwin surely couldn't have been oxygen deprived to make all those poor decisions?

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
My first post wasn't a whinge about the ref or anything like that. The better team won. But the time wasting by the Reds ruined the game imo. And a lot of others who watched it. It was very slow and stop start. Was an obvious tactic by the Reds. Maybe the week was that bad they were not conditioned the best. If that was one of the NZ games the NZ refs would have not let them to do. They hate the time wasting.
I really didn’t think the breaks in play were that unusual - maybe a couple of longer ones, but players were receiving treatment for genuine issues. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)’s and McReight’s ankles, Petaia’s hamstring, Hamish Stewart (I think it was) seemingly getting badly winded after falling awkwardly, and the same for Jock Campbell after getting cleaned up late. Staying down for a bit of magic spray is one thing, but these all seemed genuine.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Shiggins, I'd give you some credit for chasing the whole time wasting thing if the game ended close, but it was 4 tries to 1.

Id be crankier at my back lines woeful communication especially from a seasoned back in Godwin.

With all the breaks you're complaining about, Godwin surely couldn't have been oxygen deprived to make all those poor decisions?
I think Godwin is getting a bad wrap here. From memory, all bar one time he turned in he had little choice or JOC (James O'Connor) would’ve gone through anyway. Certainly on McReights try he seemed to get left stranded and I don’t recall anyone else being in a position to tackle JOC (James O'Connor) on Stewart’s try either.

Maybe I need to watch again, but Godwin just seemed to be the guy who ended up exposed by failure in the wider Force system.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I really didn’t think the breaks in play were that unusual - maybe a couple of longer ones, but players were receiving treatment for genuine issues. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)’s and McReight’s ankles, Petaia’s hamstring, Hamish Stewart (I think it was) seemingly getting badly winded after falling awkwardly, and the same for Jock Campbell after getting cleaned up late. Staying down for a bit of magic spray is one thing, but these all seemed genuine.
Some looked questionable to me LeC. If Jordan had a hamstring problem, he probably wouldn't have stayed on. But Campbell especially looked to stay down to get the penalty.

Just on that set of incidents, I reckon it was judged that Godwin's tackle was late but not foul play, while Paisami's subsequent tackle was deemed foul play. Even though the Godwin infringement happened first, foul play takes precedence in terms of sanction.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Some looked questionable to me LeC. If Jordan had a hamstring problem, he probably wouldn't have stayed on.
I mean, it's well known that Petaia is extremely susceptible to hamstring cramps that he can play through with a bucketload of deep heat, and he definitely didn't look to be moving at 100% towards the end of the game.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)

He made some good ones. A couple of bad defence decisions and JOC (James O'Connor) is a world class player so nothing to be ashamed of. He is a good player. Just not JOC (James O'Connor) level

I'm not complaining about the result. I'm talking about as a specicle it was poor because of the time wasteing. the force should have made a bigger deal of it because the time wasteing was always when there was a card or when the force were on attack looking good. Watch some of the other games. That sort of behaviour is stamped out so fast. Even the bias commentators mentioned it.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Some looked questionable to me LeC. If Jordan had a hamstring problem, he probably wouldn't have stayed on. But Campbell especially looked to stay down to get the penalty.

Just on that set of incidents, I reckon it was judged that Godwin's tackle was late but not foul play, while Paisami's subsequent tackle was deemed foul play. Even though the Godwin infringement happened first, foul play takes precedence in terms of sanction.
Completely agree but can we all agree that that hit from paisami might be hit of the season ? Regardless of the card. He got it slightly wrong.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don't want to appear cynical but to my eyes Kalani appears out of his depth. At this stage of his experience at super rugby level, I feel he should be more competent in his role as a halfback. He's not there for his defense, but to set up the back line.
And in that he gets a low score from me.
Jeans is simply a better halfback as a conduit between the forwards & backs.

personally I think Thomas has a better pass and box kick, Jeans threw a few passes either above the head or behind the player and they had to stop their run. Jeans seems to be a bit better at decision making. However I temper that comment by pointing out that Jeans was behind a back going forward in the second half, which make it’s easier to choose options.

Last edited:

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It is clear that when any half way decent scrum hits us up with Tupou missing they sniff opportunity and lift a gear. Feel sorry for the back up, not just hitting Super level but a front row determined to win one over the Reds. Still the front row needs to do better without Tupou.

I'm seeing the ruck involvement from our second row now. Awesome. Ditto the front row.

I don't get the noise here over Kalani, the bloke went well.I do prefer Jeans, but Kalani is hitting his stride. Happy for the coach team to call the starters as they see fit. I thought the relationship between Kalani and JOC (James O'Connor) looked settled even though there hasn't been a lot of game time in it. The connection between JOC (James O'Connor) and Stewart is seriously developing. Stewart stepping into first receiver, or not, two largely non-natural fly halves have got the gig covered between them with a heavy dose of strategy and game play. And D. Loving it. That combination is working in spades.

I had felt Petaia needed to step up - request granted. Flook was comfortable doing more than just contributing. We have missed Paisami, great to see him back. But Jock! My god, if this keeps up then Rennie must surely be watching.

Of course the gold star goes to the back rowers. Most meters run is 1. McReight (14 runs 78m), 2. Wilson (16 runs 64m), 3. Jock (8 runs 45m).

Scrum was a sea change when Tupou came on, thank god for that.

Fantastic game - well played Force, grisly stuff. Bloody happy to be 3 from 3.

Last edited:

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Completely agree but can we all agree that that hit from paisami might be hit of the season ? Regardless of the card. He got it slightly wrong.
Yeh that is why I was saying paisami should be called rhe chiropractor after that famous Samoan who had the nickname for similar hits.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
He made some good ones. A couple of bad defence decisions and JOC (James O'Connor) is a world class player so nothing to be ashamed of. He is a good player. Just not JOC (James O'Connor) level

I'm not complaining about the result. I'm talking about as a specicle it was poor because of the time wasteing. the force should have made a bigger deal of it because the time wasteing was always when there was a card or when the force were on attack looking good. Watch some of the other games. That sort of behaviour is stamped out so fast. Even the bias commentators mentioned it.
I'm genuinely intrigued as to which players you thought weren't legit time outs?

Of the ones I can remember they all seemed legit. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) & McWright both ankle injuries. I was surprised McWright stayed on, hope he doesn't have Syndesmosis. Campbell was hit well late which he wasn't expecting, looked 100% legit injury time to me off a cheap shot from a bloke who made bad defensive reads all night. Hamish Stewart's hip looked legit if you watch the replay. I don't think he stayed down that long. Petaia has well known hamstring injuries and appeared to be struggling after that time out. Not sure why Thorne didn't replace him with fresh legs after that. I may be missing others but they're the ones which come to mind after watching it once.

Also if you take into account the week they had, plus playing the game at 9pm on their body clocks, then it makes sense to have more injuries without the normal buildup and prep to the game.

I do not think any of it was calculated or untoward. If anything the way the game went it showed that the Reds benefited more from a faster game with Force fading in the 2nd half.

Last edited: