• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) Rd 3 Force v Reds in Perth

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Interesting to hear JOC (James O'Connor) post game say that the Reds strategy v the Tahs was literally to clear in the second phase.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Interesting to hear JOC (James O'Connor) post game say that the Reds strategy v the Tahs was literally to clear in the second phase.

What do you mean sorry? As in to kick at phase 2? Understandable given the conditions

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
What do you mean sorry? As in to kick at phase 2? Understandable given the conditions
Yeah - okay, firstly this was going to be a longer post but I had to start my park run. (My only regular exercise each week at the moment).

Agree - 100% understandable, but it was very cut and dried. Which I like because it shows a team who has capability to play different game styles to suit the match and execute them. I’d like to see us work harder on our discipline and our lineout continues to be a concern - although I guess that the injury disruptions and lack of ability to train this week would have a big bearing there.

I thought lots of the team were very good last night. Hard to pick a MOM. JOC (James O'Connor) laying on 4 tries is hard to top and the backrow and back 3 all very good. But Stewart’s game would be right up there I think. Petaia showed some of his class, but really does look like his hammy is going to go any minute.

PS - how good is our defence.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
You bloody beauty. JOC (James O'Connor) found his way, Paisami’s hits were on point, and the forwards were sublime in a pack. A shout out to Hamish Stewart, his defence and leadership are huge. For me he is the workhorse that deserves the 12 jersey every week. Flook just seems to be there when it counts, a big contributer to our points tally and valuable in every game.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeh I have to admit Flook proved me wrong. He was there to finish plays and did well. Jordy regressed I think. Which is a shame because I defended him over these first few weeks.

I think Vunivalu walks into the starting side when he’s fit. Wing is definitely an area the Reds have opportunities to improve, a strike winger will add a lot to our attacking options in the opposition half.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Great game, impressive work Reds. Force are literally a force to reckon with. I'll be back later to comment.

Off to the mud army.

Reactions: TSR

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeh I have to admit Flook proved me wrong. He was there to finish plays and did well. Jordy regressed I think. Which is a shame because I defended him over these first few weeks.

I think Vunivalu walks into the starting side when he’s fit. Wing is definitely an area the Reds have opportunities to improve, a strike winger will add a lot to our attacking options in the opposition half.
I thought Petaia looked good for most of the time he was on a side from the kick out on the full - but in the last 10 minutes or so he was out there he was clearly struggling. Just doesn’t seem to be able to keep his body right, which is a shame. Reminds me a lot of the issues Rob Horne & CFS had early in their career.

I’m not sure why people are so off Daugunu. I don’t think he was fantastic last week, but he wasn’t horrid either. The week before he wasn’t flashy but he actually had a very good work rate and got plenty done.

Having said that I think Flook is going very well. Not flashy, but works hard, seems to be quite powerful for his size and takes good options. I think the 12/13 of Stewart & Paisami was excellent yesterday - but Flook is doing everything he can to be in the starting side each week.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Seems like the Reds are clicking into gear, JOC (James O'Connor)’s play at 10 was very pleasing from a Wallaby perspective.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think Paisami’s return was key as well. The Reds backline has a consistent look about it, as mentioned players like Flook, Stewart and Campbell all solid without being flashy. That’s great when things are going your way and they can execute a game plan.

Definitely need someone like Paisami to add that punch though. Forwards were exceptional as well when they needed to step up.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Agree - Paisami adds some punch but is also continuing to mix his game up. Not always perfect but it gives variety to our attack and he’ll continue to improve.

Campbell seems to have added 15-20 metres to his kicking game. At least compared to what I remember. This is a bit of a game changer for me because one thing we have historically struggled with is to clear our end with our kicking game which has often led to us spending lengthy periods defending our line. We’ve defended extraordinarily well against the AU teams but it is Russian Roulette against the Kiwis.

On a related note, looking at possession/field possession stats for the Reds would have to be considered at least a bit misleading at the moment. They’ve been really good at taking their chances when they get in the other teams 22. So much so it seems like we are rarely down there.

With regards to the Force, I know a lot of Force fans will be disappointed as they would have really fancied their chances - but gee you’d have to be feeling pretty happy for the future. There is a nucleus of a really good super rugby team there and a lot of improvement left in them yet. I think they’ll end up mid field this year, but won’t be surprised if they push a bit further than that. But if they can keep this nucleus and grow on it they’ll be in a very good place in 2 years. Fines-Leleiwasa & Pasitoa look like they could develop into a really good pair and Lee-Warner & Rodda are already a very good locking pair.

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
That was a great win especially considering their horror trip to Perth, 14 hours being delayed in Brisbane then stopover in Adelaide, Thorn said last night. I think JOC (James O'Connor) said they only had one training run due to floods in Brisbane then the long trip. They showed good composure and as a number have said slowed the game down to suit their style and ensure they would not run of gas. Smart play.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
The biggest difference I could see in JOC (James O'Connor)’s game last night was his willingness to square up at the line . Plus the multiple options he had running lines off him as he moved forward at the line.

He got the better of Godwin a few times , but Godwin also had multiple threats coming at him. A lot of praise should go to the hard work of those off the ball that created the options. The backrow in particular were immense in this regard.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
JOC (James O'Connor) is a far better player than Godwin. It's a shame. Godwin was touted as being Australia's Next big thing once upon a time
Yes but that ship sailed long ago for Godwin. A suitable super rugby squad player but not much more, and that has been the case for some time.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Reds emphatic in returning to top form.

Game was in the balance though until Tupou came on to the ground. That changed the whole tempo and the Reds then were able to convert their dominance into points late in the game.

As others have said, McReight, Wilson and Uru were outstanding; Paisami very dangerous (looked to me that he played 12 in attack. Stewart might be the Reds No 12, but Paisami is the Wallaby No 12 until Kerevi returns). In the Force, Fines-Leleiwasa, FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner), Rodda and Kahui were very good.

JOC (James O'Connor) MOTM.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Yeah, I'm not opposed to criticism of his game, but not a huge fan of the full load he cops. The guy is still very young and has come along way in the last year or 2.

Also as much as I like Jeans I don't think he's ready to start - his first few passes are very erratic and takes a bit of time to play himself into the game (understandably). That's much more workable coming off the bench when the flow of the game has already been established. Kalani may not be great but he is used to this level now and can play his way through a rocky start in the early minutes when he needs to.
I don't want to appear cynical but to my eyes Kalani appears out of his depth. At this stage of his experience at super rugby level, I feel he should be more competent in his role as a halfback. He's not there for his defense, but to set up the back line.
And in that he gets a low score from me.
Jeans is simply a better halfback as a conduit between the forwards & backs.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don't want to appear cynical but to my eyes Kalani appears out of his depth. At this stage of his experience at super rugby level, I feel he should be more competent in his role as a halfback. He's not there for his defense, but to set up the back line.
And in that he gets a low score from me.
Jeans is simply a better halfback as a conduit between the forwards & backs.
Jeans is better but I thought Kalini was improved. I think they rather showed they have the depth to cover Tates absence in any case. Could be worse you could have Tuttle instead of kalini…as that comparison shows how lucky the reds are to have kalini instead of Tuttle imo.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Agree - Paisami adds some punch but is also continuing to mix his game up. Not always perfect but it gives variety to our attack and he’ll continue to improve.

Campbell seems to have added 15-20 metres to his kicking game. At least compared to what I remember. This is a bit of a game changer for me because one thing we have historically struggled with is to clear our end with our kicking game which has often led to us spending lengthy periods defending our line. We’ve defended extraordinarily well against the AU teams but it is Russian Roulette against the Kiwis.

On a related note, looking at possession/field possession stats for the Reds would have to be considered at least a bit misleading at the moment. They’ve been really good at taking their chances when they get in the other teams 22. So much so it seems like we are rarely down there.
Yeah our poor clearance is putting a lot of pressure on us right now and it's compounded by our excellent red zone attack - we convert position to points so quickly we don't really get a break from defending. I'm hoping having O'Connor, Paisami and Campbell all out there as kicking options will help but the execution needs to better. The pressure on our scrum is definitely not helping either, we've historically used the penalties we create there as another path out.

That said our attacking kicking game has been stellar - tries from it in every game so far and barely a mistake in it. As other teams start to notice that's really going to stress defences as they work to cover it. Not to mention Vunivalu will add even more threat there.

Top Bottom