• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) Rd 3 Force v Reds in Perth

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Maybe the real captain's curse is that O'Connor wronged some witch/warlock while exploring alternative therapies to spring back after covid and now he id cursed to always end up with the thing he didn't want (the captaincy), until he finds true love (wins the bledisloe)?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Force forwards taken to school. JOC (James O'Connor) with a master class. Kock Campbell is definitely heavy enough to be considered for the Wallabies.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
After a week plagued with injury and adversity, the Reds should be very happy with that. Queensland spirit shining through. From the smiles on their faces after the game, and the post-game from both Lukhan and JOC (James O'Connor), that one might’ve been a bit special.

Force put up a fight, but Reds were just too good. They’ve showed they can defend throughout this season, but this was the first game where their attack really got going (and their first dry game). Some standouts for me:

JOC (James O'Connor) gets captaincy unexpectedly thrusted onto him and has probably his best game since Super Rugby AU - coincidence? Man of the match performance.

Hamish Stewart is making his mark this year.

Harry Wilson was involved in absolutely everything. His extended preseason has seemingly paid off.

Fraser McReight made a pest of himself.

Uru really stood up in the ruck after the early mark for LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto).

Hunter, we’ve missed you.

Kalani, we haven’t missed you. Slow, indecisive, little control over the game. Tate (when available) and Jeans is the way forward.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Kalani, we haven’t missed you. Slow, indecisive, little control over the game. Tate (when available) and Jeans is the way forward.
I liked your post for everything but this, he wasn't great but he did have his moments, particularly defensively. He's doing a job while Tate's injured and he let Jeans come in to play with freedom by playing through the tense first half. Fair enough he should be behind the others when everyone is fit, but we need him right now, give the kid a chance.

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
The off season in Qld for Fraser and Harry has been a blessing in disguise. Hoping they could continue this level of form long term this year. Both will be good quality Wallabies if so. Sort of happy Wright was injured so we can watch Fraser at his best. JOC (James O'Connor) very good. Reds have a different mindset from last few years, they are going well and look a different and better side.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The yellow card to Fotuaika was ironically a turning point in the game. Bought Taniela on, changed the momentum in the scrums and the momentum of penalties.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The off season in Qld for Fraser and Harry has been a blessing in disguise. Hoping they could continue this level of form long term this year. Both will be good quality Wallabies if so. Sort of happy Wright was injured so we can watch Fraser at his best. JOC (James O'Connor) very good. Reds have a different mindset from last few years, they are going well and look a different and better side.
Love Wright & ASY (Angus Scott-Young), but I speculated before the season if McReight, Wilson & Uru wasn’t our most balanced backrow and they certainly worked well together tonight.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Bad luck to the Force fans, was hoping you would win. First game this year when it comes to the Aus sides I haven’t watched. Was too flat after our game

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Good, would be good for the rugby community there.
Was very intentional but a bit cryptic, so I'm not sure what. Maybe the super w final, although they've hinted at that being part of the super round in Melbourne previously.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I liked your post for everything but this, he wasn't great but he did have his moments, particularly defensively. He's doing a job while Tate's injured and he let Jeans come in to play with freedom by playing through the tense first half. Fair enough he should be behind the others when everyone is fit, but we need him right now, give the kid a chance.
Yeah that’s a fair point, I was a bit harsh. Kudos to him for playing that role, and you’re right in saying his defence was particularly solid, but there were a few occasions tonight where he seemed completely lost. There was also a stark difference in tempo and general organisation when Jeans came on.

I do genuinely hope we have a great battle between Jeans and Kalani for the 21 jersey - both have shown what they can do

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah that’s a fair point, I was a bit harsh. Kudos to him for playing that role, and you’re right in saying his defence was particularly solid, but there were a few occasions tonight where he seemed completely lost. There was also a stark difference in tempo and general organisation when Jeans came on.

I do genuinely hope we have a great battle between Jeans and Kalani for the 21 jersey - both have shown what they can do
Yeah, I'm not opposed to criticism of his game, but not a huge fan of the full load he cops. The guy is still very young and has come along way in the last year or 2.

Also as much as I like Jeans I don't think he's ready to start - his first few passes are very erratic and takes a bit of time to play himself into the game (understandably). That's much more workable coming off the bench when the flow of the game has already been established. Kalani may not be great but he is used to this level now and can play his way through a rocky start in the early minutes when he needs to.