• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SRT-T R1: Crusaders v Brumbies

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
A couple more observations on Brumbies performances in the game.

Valetini continues his MOTM level performances; getting over FF (Folau Fainga'a), runs straight at defenders and doesn't win the contest, some poor tackling issues, not consistent with his throws; Tom Wright is an RPG - the way a few of the Reds fairly ordinary players are described as 'guns', Tom has to be awarded an RPG tag for his performances.

Luke Reimer looks good. Scott Sio still having problems in the scrums (at least in referees' eyes) but his play in general has improved lately. Nick Frost continues to impress. Noah is solid and even behind a losing pack is a level above Will Harrison and Donaldson imo. Still No 2 behind JOC (James O'Connor).
Banks and Simone also both very good last night.

Kata running it back straight and hard and making 30 odd metres doing so is way more effective than dinky little kicks that just hand possession back to counter attacking kings.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You mean the same crowd who would rather watch the same five teams play one another in a nine week comp? I'm amazed they haven't filled this thread with THey ShOUld StoP TeH Tt NExT WEEk

Oh they are, on the Where To & SRT-T threads for starters. As Dan54 replies to one of 'em, I'd hate to belong to the same Club as some of those fair-weather-only "fans".

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Oh they are, on the Where To & SRT-T threads for starters. As Dan54 replies to one of 'em, I'd hate to belong to the same Club as some of those fair-weather-only "fans".

The where-to crew are leaking into other threads, presumably because nobody's listening. Why anyone would ignore 1000 pages of the same three people chasing mediocrity like el Dorado is beyond me.

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
A couple more observations on Brumbies performances in the game.

Valetini continues his MOTM level performances; getting over FF (Folau Fainga'a), runs straight at defenders and doesn't win the contest, some poor tackling issues, not consistent with his throws; Tom Wright is an RPG - the way a few of the Reds fairly ordinary players are described as 'guns', Tom has to be awarded an RPG tag for his performances.

Luke Reimer looks good. Scott Sio still having problems in the scrums (at least in referees' eyes) but his play in general has improved lately. Nick Frost continues to impress. Noah is solid and even behind a losing pack is a level above Will Harrison and Donaldson imo. Still No 2 behind JOC (James O'Connor).

All correct, but I wanted to particularly highlight your FF (Folau Fainga'a) comment. I couldn’t agree more, but have felt that way for awhile. You guys are mad if Lonergan doesn’t start. Despite his age he’s already a far more developed player than FF (Folau Fainga'a). I’ve only seen Conal in bits and pieces - how do you guys rate him?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
All correct, but I wanted to particularly highlight your FF (Folau Fainga'a) comment. I couldn’t agree more, but have felt that way for awhile. You guys are mad if Lonergan doesn’t start. Despite his age he’s already a far more developed player than FF (Folau Fainga'a). I’ve only seen Conal in bits and pieces - how do you guys rate him?

Right now I would rate Connal as being a better all round player than Lonergan, but LL has far more potential I think to reach the top of his trade. It will also be interesting to keep an eye on Pollard's development in the next couple of years. Viewers who watched the Scoolboys/U18s a couple of years ago might recall Billy Pollard running almost 100m against the Junior All Blacks only to be caught just a metre or so from the tryline.

Reactions: mst

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

Personally, FF (Folau Fainga'a) frustrates the Mst's. He is very good (generally and technically in the scrum IMHO), but he is like a lazy but talented child. Just seems to always take the easy option and won't get stuck in but still gets the results. His tackling at times is a demonstration of that (the low potentially dangerous ones!) and I also think its why he is on the outer with the Wallabies.

I am not sure if that just him or is yet to be really pushed for selection. He is good and I would not bet rid of him but. Either way I would not be upset with Connal or Lonergan starts or we run with both of them. FF (Folau Fainga'a) needs to be pushed and I actually think next year with Connal and Lonergan fit FF (Folau Fainga'a) may get a really significant wake up call.

Re: Connal - very good player. I would describe him as a more experienced Lonergan if I as to give you a comparison. His scrummaging is solid and is improving strength wise, big but mobile, good ball skills and his work around the field is really good.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah Lonergan looks the goods to me, I've thought it since I saw him in the U20's. Dan, start him from this point onwards.

The Brumbies actually like to invest the time to develop the players to make sure they don't get burnt early. Some examples:

Connal got impatience and left the Brumbies set up which they were disappointed and frustrated with (although ahead of him in the queue was Moore, Bongo then FF (Folau Fainga'a)) but they called him back and he has grabbed his second chance.

Harry LLoyd is real talent and they were happy to let him go to the Force to get game time and bring him back when they had a spot in the roster.

Archer Holtz is coming along well. His one appearance really showed him where the benchmark is. I believe you will see him next season and will be much improved physically and technically.