• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

State of the Union (origin) discussion

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Without much thought it leaves me a little uncomfortable, SOO works because you're encouraged to hate each other but with this I'd rather not emphasise the divide. How do you hype this up? "Get ready to watch some skinny white lads get spanked!"

What I take away from this is that To'omua really sees himself as a 10 not a 12.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Without much thought it leaves me a little uncomfortable, SOO works because you're encouraged to hate each other but with this I'd rather not emphasise the divide. How do you hype this up? "Get ready to watch some skinny white lads get spanked!"

What I take away from this is that To'omua really sees himself as a 10 not a 12.

I think you should really look at what Non Pacifika team would look like.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think you should really look at what Non Pacifika team would look like.
Yep a front row of Slipper, Ready and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) isn’t really skinny white dudes, nor is a locking pair of Philip and Simmons or a backrow of Wilson, McReight and Swinton.

It would be two very even teams with obvious strength in depth in some areas and not so much in others.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

SOO did not work in the AFL, simply because there is, and can only be, one SOO by definition. The concept is taken. It was not planned to be as big as it has become, and that is the point we need to remember.

Our version, such as it is, will only work as an exhibition game - a display of running, skilful rugby at its best. The event that unites, not the event built on enmity, grudges, and division.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yep a front row of Slipper, Ready and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) isn’t really skinny white dudes, nor is a locking pair of Philip and Simmons or a backrow of Wilson, McReight and Swinton.

It would be two very even teams with obvious strength in depth in some areas and not so much in others.

That was a joke, I understand the two teams are probably evenly matched. I was saying I don't think we should be emphasising the difference and encouraging people to take sides. Imagine a Phil Gould introduction speech but instead of NSW v QLD it's different races.

As Wam says above it'd have to be an exhibition match and quite carefully done.

B

Bobby Sands

That was a joke, I understand the two teams are probably evenly matched. I was saying I don't think we should be emphasising the difference and encouraging people to take sides. Imagine a Phil Gould introduction speech but instead of NSW v QLD it's different races.

As Wam says above it'd have to be an exhibition match and quite carefully done.

I agree.

Let's get back to strict QLD and NSW.

It's exactly what the game needs. Maybe we can leave the planning drafts with the Waratahs given they have so much time up their sleeves?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Interesting option from the Saffers:

Rugby finally returns in South Africa with a schedule that includes 'schoolyard pick' Springboks showdown

12:32am, 17 September 2020

Rugby is finally set to return to South Africa after a series of fixtures were unveiled that includes World Cup-winning Springboks coach Rassie Erasmus going up against his successor Jacques Nienaber in Cape Town on October 3.

Billed as the Springbok Showdown, it is part of the SA Rugby plan to ignite an exciting four-month local season. Springbok assistant coaches Mzwandile Stick and Deon Davids will coach Springbok Green versus Gold teams, with the current director of rugby Erasmus and former defence coach Nienaber acting as the two team commissioners.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/rugb...includes-schoolyard-pick-springboks-showdown/

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
^^^ I had a similar idea for our SOTU teams whereby each coach picks their best 1-15 from the respective NSW & QLd offerings, and then the remaining 8-10 squad picks they can choose between the remaining origin offerings or unaligned players. Televise it and make a big deal of it, alternating picks between the coaches.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I actually really like it and recekon that it is an upgrade on State of the Union.

Would love to see Aus try something like that, either with existing coaches picking the teams, or past players - e.g. Sharpey's 23 vs. Gregan's 23

Be great to watch!