• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stormers Vs Force, Rd 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Fuck oath you can - GET UP FORCE!

This is some wonderful, hard-nosed shit and while I'm conflicted that Foley couldn't do this with the Tahs, at least my second favourite team is putting their potential together.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Fuck oath you can - GET UP FORCE!

This is some wonderful, hard-nosed shit and while I'm conflicted that Foley couldn't do this with the Tahs, at least my second favourite team is putting their potential together.

Having the two worst SA teams on the road and not playing the Sharks has to be the best draw of all time! Enjoy it now, the planets won't align like this for another 250 years.

The Force can, and should, win this. Two wins in SA would make them favorites for a spot in the six I would guess. The NZ teams are about to start cannibalising each other.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Having the two worst SA teams on the road and not playing the Sharks has to be the best draw of all time! Enjoy it now, the planets won't align like this for another 250 years.

It's definitely lucky. I actually thought the Stormers would win the comp this year but they have been fucked over by injuries. The Cheetahs were good last year, but I didn't see that one lasting. Not quite enough substance or depth to them IMHO. Bit worried that the Force could be in a similar situation next year with a bit of bad luck to be honest. We've only won two of our games by more than 7 points.

M

Moono75

Bit worried that the Force could be in a similar situation next year with a bit of bad luck to be honest. We've only won two of our games by more than 7 points.

Just winning games is a hell of a lot better than just losing them as we all know. Sit back and enjoy the ride. Hopefully the Force continues to build it's list and an additional year of experience to the younger players will see the Force on a more sustainable performance path.

Nipper

Ward Prentice (10)
It's definitely lucky. I actually thought the Stormers would win the comp this year but they have been fucked over by injuries. The Cheetahs were good last year, but I didn't see that one lasting. Not quite enough substance or depth to them IMHO. Bit worried that the Force could be in a similar situation next year with a bit of bad luck to be honest. We've only won two of our games by more than 7 points.

I see where you're coming from, but consider this:

They've already been weathering their run of bad luck so far, after losing McMenimen, Alcock, Junior, Morahan and Alby -- yet they've still been able to put up some wins with them out. That would've crushed them in previous years. I probably shouldn't say this out loud, but I think the only injuries they would struggle to overcome at this point would be Hodgo or Sias (fingers crossed!).

With the defense and culture/attitude they've developed, they are now able to stay close in just about all their games (except for the first two), and have been able to conjure up that one special moment (or moments) to put them over the top for the win. Quite the opposite of past years.

But, jeez, it sure does look like the players are taking a beating playing defense like they do.

Hoolly Doolly

Fred Wood (13)
Stormers had a good half on the weekend and still have very abrasive and physical forwards which have a history of smashing us at the collision and tackle contest. Pretty sure we have the same ref as last game and cant help but feel he might already have a perception of the force breakdown work to our disadvantage.
Force the underdogs. Stormers by plenty!

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
That'll be announced tomorrow. I don't think he will. Surely he is easily the best 12 in South Africa. I reckon if there is any doubt (which clearly there is) and there is no chance the Stormers will make the finals (that ship sailed long ago) then HM will ask for him to be managed (read rested) for the test series.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
That's way too logical for South African rugby.

They will do the opposite of any logic.

Mind you the Stormers back line played its best rugby against the Bulls without him...

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Is JDV back for the Stormers. He makes a big difference to their team.

Might be easier to list who is actually available.

This is from the Stormers website:

- Flyhalf Demetri Catrakilis (broken nose) and wing Kobus van Wyk (wrist) will return to training tomorrow (Tuesday). Both will be considered for selection against the Force.
- Lock Michael Rhodes (general soreness) will return to training tomorrow and be assessed afterwards ahead of the clash against the Force.
- Fellow prop Oli Kebble will undergo a concussion test on Wednesday to ascertain his availability for the Force match.
- A call on the fitness of Brok Harris (cut eye-lid), Schalk Burger (back) and Jean de Villiers (AC Joint) will also be made on Wednesday.
- Prop Frans Malherbe (concussion) is still not available for selection and will again sit out this weekend.
- Scarra Ntubeni, as reported on Sunday evening, will be out of action for at least eight weeks after fracturing a metatarsal in his left foot against the Bulls this past weekend.
- The following squad players remain sidelined with injuries at present: Prop Steven Kitshoff (knee), hooker Tiaan Liebenberg (neck), locks Eben Etzebeth (foot), Jurie van Vuuren (shoulder), De Kock Steenkamp (groin), Rynhardt Elstadt (shoulder), Gerbrandt Grobler (shoulder) and Manuel Carizza (wrist), Sikhumbuzo Notshe (knee), scrumhalves Louis Schreuder (fractured thumb) and Godlen Masimla (wrist), Gary van Aswegen (groin), wing Sailosi Tagicakibau (calf muscle) and fullbacks Gio Aplon (elbow) and Ryno Eksteen (knee).

M

Moono75

I'm assuming from the Force FB page that Sias is OK for this game. Photo of him kicking at practice..........or is it him ;)

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Jesus, that's one hell of an injury list for the Stormers!

Yeah it's freakish and possibly the worst ever. Five locks out. That can't be good. Both first choice props, two hookers. It's nuts actually.

Their coaches suck but no team can cope with that amount of injuries.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Stormers

15. Jaco Taute
14. Kobus van Wyk
13. Juan de Jongh
12. Damian de Allende
11. Cheslin Kolbe
10. Peter Grant
9. Nic Groom
8. Duane Vermeulen (vice-captain)