• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stormers vs Sharks - Super Rugby R9 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Stormers:
15. Joe Pietersen, 14. Damian de Allende, 13. Juan de Jongh, 12. Jean de Villiers (captain), 11. Gio Aplon, 10. Gary van Aswegen, 9. Dewaldt Duvenage, 8. Duane Vermeulen, 7. Michael Rhodes, 6. Siya Kolisi, 5. Andries Bekker, 4. De Kock Steenkamp, 3. Frans Malherbe, 2. Deon Fourie, 1. Steven Kitshoff

Substitutes: 16. Martin Bezuidenhout, 17. Pat Cilliers, 18. Gerbrandt Grobler, 19. Nizaam Carr, 20. Louis Schreuder, 21. Kurt Coleman, 22. Cheslin Kolbe

Sharks:
15. Francois Steyn, 14. Sean Robinson, 13. Paul Jordaan, 12. Meyer Bosman, 11. JP Pietersen, 10. Patrick Lambie, 9. Cobus Reinach, 8. Keegan Daniel (captain), 7. Ryan Kankowski, 6. Marcell Coetzee, 5. Franco van der Merwe, 4. Pieter-Steph du Toit, 3. Jannie du Plessis, 2. Kyle Cooper, 1. Tendai Mtawarira

Substitutes: 16. Craig Burden, 17. Wiehahn Herbst, 18. Anton Bresler, 19. Jean Deysel, 20. Charl McLeod, 21. Riaan Viljoen, 22. Odwa Ndungane
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Super15/Sharks-bench-mongrel-the-key-20130410

Massive derby in the context of the SA Conference. The Sharks have been largely accumulating wins without playing too well, which is a good sign I guess. They need to start finding their form from the end of last season sooner rather than later though if they plan on achieving a similar or better final result than 2012!

The Stormers, if they lose another one at Newlands and to SA opposition, they can kiss their hopes of winning the conference goodbye!

Both teams missing key players through injury, but that cannot be used as an excuse in this competition.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
You're right Brisbok, I'll be watching both SA games closely this week, can't make up my mind about this one, so I think I'll just post after match who I think will win.;)

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Sharks will win. Stormers don't play like a team anymore. More like individuals all trying their own thing. Then injuries and running thin on replacements. We might need to import the Canadians again if the keeps on going on.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Stormers season looks over and will be over by the end of this weekend if they lose.

Wtf is going on in Cape Town? All that talent. Injuries are no excuse. Everyone has them.

Other than the Cheetahs playing well, SA rugby doesn't look great at the momennt.

Sharks are playing ugly rugby albeit they are winning, Stormers are dreadful and the Bulls are playing the worst rugby I have seen them play in many years.

Not a pretty picture. I hope the Sharls can lift it and get to their 2012 end of season form.

At this rate an SA team will not get a home semi and we all know that means they cannot win this comp.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Stormers season looks over and will be over by the end of this weekend if they lose.

Wtf is going on in Cape Town? All that talent. Injuries are no excuse. Everyone has them.

Other than the Cheetahs playing well, SA rugby doesn't look great at the momennt.

Sharks are playing ugly rugby albeit they are winning, Stormers are dreadful and the Bulls are playing the worst rugby I have seen them play in many years.

Not a pretty picture. I hope the Sharls can lift it and get to their 2012 end of season form.

At this rate an SA team will not get a home semi and we all know that means they cannot win this comp.
Rather ask what is going on in South African rugby. Why do one team have so much depth that they stuff a Varsity full of professionals to beat up amateurs when they could have loaned to other unions who might need them and to make sure the top 150 players are playing Super Rugby.

The honor of the Springbok jersey and be part of a selected few who has done it is gone. Any Tom Dick and Harry can/have/will get a cap. So that carrot is not as tasty as money anymore.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Gee, another game where the Sharks rely primarily on the boot of Lambie. What has happened to their attack?

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Gee, another game where the Sharks rely primarily on the boot of Lambie. What has happened to their attack?
In South Africa we have the notion to either praise the flyhalf when teams scores heaps of tries. Until the real pivots go back to France or decide to call it a day on his international career and go to Japan. Suddenly they notice that certain wonder 10's seem out of form and have no creative vision what so all.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
In South Africa we have the notion to either praise the flyhalf when teams scores heaps of tries......
I'll complete your sentence for you: ".......or blame the flyhalf when the team can't score tries!"

Is it Lambie's fault the forwards were struggling to get over the gain line all night? Is it Lambie's fault he started the season with a hopelessly out of form (and shape) F. Steyn on his outside later to be replaced by Bosman who has never created problems for ANY defence in Super Rugby?

The Sharks game has always relied on a dominant pack. If they are matched or bettered in the forwards, their attacking game is non-existant. Michalak is not the only difference between the Sharks of this season and the Sharks of 2012. Bismarck, Alberts, Whitehead missing and Steyn in terrible form.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Credit to the Stormers. Their defence was outstanding last night and they certainly had more desire to win than the Sharks. I think they have been written off far too early by many people. Yes, they have had a poor start. However, they have beaten both the top 2 teams - the Chiefs and the Brumbies.

They had a poor game against the Crusaders and they needed to win that one as you cannot afford to lose games at home if you want to win your conference. Their other losses have come against the Bulls at Loftus, the Sharks in Durban and a much improved Cheetahs side in Bloemfontein.

They have the bye next week, then they're off on tour where they face the Hurricanes, Blues, Waratahs and Rebels. Let's see where they're sitting after that.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
I'll complete your sentence for you: "...or blame the flyhalf when the team can't score tries!"

Is it Lambie's fault the forwards were struggling to get over the gain line all night? Is it Lambie's fault he started the season with a hopelessly out of form (and shape) F. Steyn on his outside later to be replaced by Bosman who has never created problems for ANY defence in Super Rugby?

The Sharks game has always relied on a dominant pack. If they are matched or bettered in the forwards, their attacking game is non-existant. Michalak is not the only difference between the Sharks of this season and the Sharks of 2012. Bismarck, Alberts, Whitehead missing and Steyn in terrible form.
I think you miss my point

Fourie Du Preez creating something out of nothing.
fdph.gif
fdp3.gif
fdp2.gif
fdp4.gif

Man of the match in that Crusaders semi?
Morne Steyn and his version of a flat pass
steyn.gif

I can go on and on and shows Steyn is just a boot. When FdP left he got exposed.

freddy.gif

Lambie last 3 games vs Stormers/WP all points by boot
Freddy the magic of flat ball

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
In South Africa we have the notion to either praise the flyhalf when teams scores heaps of tries. Until the real pivots go back to France or decide to call it a day on his international career and go to Japan. Suddenly they notice that certain wonder 10's seem out of form and have no creative vision what so all.

Are we sure Lambie doesn't have a very good all round game? I felt like he did. Where has it gone? He has a very good pass and I was always under the impression that he reads the game so well.

As for Fourie du Preez I agree with all the above and more. Everyone knew what they were supposed to to. At times it was as if he was coaching people around him in real time.

Frighteningly good player.

Steyn took a step back when Fourie wasn't directing things.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
I think you miss my point

freddy.gif

Lambie last 3 games vs Stormers/WP all points by boot
Freddy the magic of flat ball

Haha great example you picked with Freddie. He receives the ball, passes it to the next man along in the backline who steps off his left foot to beat the defender and score the try, but Michalak is the genius for the "flat pass" he threw. What vision! o_O

You're still ignoring my previous post. Lambie playing at 10 is not the only thing that's changed from the 2012 Sharks to the 2013 Sharks. To say that he is the sole reason why the Sharks are not scoring tries this year is ridiculous. Besides, it wasn't until the later rounds that the Sharks started to fire last year. At least save your judgement until the same point in the 2013 season.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Haha great example you picked with Freddie. He receives the ball, passes it to the next man along in the backline who steps off his left foot to beat the defender and score the try, but Michalak is the genius for the "flat pass" he threw. What vision! o_O

You're still ignoring my previous post. Lambie playing at 10 is not the only thing that's changed from the 2012 Sharks to the 2013 Sharks. To say that he is the sole reason why the Sharks are not scoring tries this year is ridiculous. Besides, it wasn't until the later rounds that the Sharks started to fire last year. At least save your judgement until the same point in the 2013 season.
My apoligies if it look likes I am ignoring it but I yhink I have answered your question. Although its my fault for not making it any clearer. It can't be Lambie's fault (hence people are praising 10's when they score tries statement I made in my first post) because he is and never will be the Sharks pivot. When Freddy wasn't there the Sharks used the 9 as the pivot.

Go look at last years Currie Cup final. You will see Lambie not the first receiver and occasionally on third or 4th phase ball. But it will be the 9 blindside skip flat ball to forward 9 ball to this 9 pass to this one. That is controlling the attack.

We were blessed with Fourie Du Preez people never really valued his worth and what he really did.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Are we sure Lambie doesn't have a very good all round game? I felt like he did. Where has it gone? He has a very good pass and I was always under the impression that he reads the game so well.

As for Fourie du Preez I agree with all the above and more. Everyone knew what they were supposed to to. At times it was as if he was coaching people around him in real time.

Frighteningly good player.

Steyn took a step back when Fourie wasn't directing things.
Sadly the South African rugby watching public listen to commentators. You know what Stransky said when Habana scored that try after that magic grubber from Du Preez? Great vision from Matfield!????? I mean really. He passed a wide pass out to the guys next to him who was standing wide. What vision is that? Well he is now the Bulls attack coach and FdP is eating raw fish in Japan.

As for Lambie. Lambie is not performing bad or anything. He is the usual Lambie. He do what he always does. But he is not their pivot and they like to play of the 9 when Freddie is not there.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
You have completely lost me. How this thread of a match between the Sharks and the Stormers over the weekend has turned into a discussion about Fourie du Preez having better vision than Victor Matfield and the South African rugby watching public being influenced by Joel Stransky's commentating I will never know.

Probably best we agree to disagree on whatever it was we were arguing about.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
You have completely lost me. How this thread of a match between the Sharks and the Stormers over the weekend has turned into a discussion about Fourie du Preez having better vision than Victor Matfield and the South African rugby watching public being influenced by Joel Stransky's commentating I will never know.

Probably best we agree to disagree on whatever it was we were arguing about.

Arguing. I thought its a discussion and my reply to you contain nothing about Matfield or Stransky whatsoever.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Great win for the Stormers. If you take a good look at the log, it look like the Sharks is the best, but they isnt. At the moment I think the Cheetahs is in the best position to top the SA conferense. They only need to nail their home games, have enough away bonusse in the bank. Sharks had an easy ride thus far with plenty of home games. In reality you need to win at home, Stormers and Sharks have dropped one and still lots of rugby to be played. The SA surprise packet is by far the Kings. They played really well thus far for a newbie team in the competition. Also like the look of our young stock coming through, Serfontein is a real monster in the making, soon Pollard will follow him and a new era for the Brutes on the rise. The Stormers will have some stock back when on tour and great to see the youngster fatties like Ginga and Malherbe slowly but surely coming to age, following Ysterbeths footsteps.

Status
Not open for further replies.