• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2021

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
On the rumour mill, it has been suggested to me that a University involved in Subbies rugby is none too happy with its current standing and has made an approach to a very local club about a merger. The merger would see the university sides amalgamated into the other club and a rebranding of sort.
The university is keen to work with the current structure of the other club and provide assistance with sponsorship and grounds.
This could be huge.

My bet would be UNSW and Randwick. It is an interesting situation with the Waratahs new base being at UNSW and i think John Morrison used to coach both UNSW and Randwick. Dont see how it benefits Randwick except with possibly the access to facilities (Playing and Admin)

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
The off-season is definitely the time for the rumour mill to churn. Here is the latest scoop. This comes from NSW Rugby and is something else.
2023 will see the return of the village club. NSW Rugby realizes it is in free fall unless it can correct the course. There is plans for a new hierarchical structure with the Waratahs at the top of the NSW rugby tree.
At the next level are the 12 Shute Shield club. A caveat to that is the talk of re-establishing a Shute Shield club in Penrith and a club based in the south, possible Campbelltown/Wollongong.

Filtering into those will be Subbies club and junior clubs. Each SS club will nominate a Subbies club to be their #1 village club. This will be the make up of division 1. A twelve team competition, with Hunter and Illawarra using their local competition.
The next club chosen under the SS umbrella will be division 2, and so on.
Unaligned clubs will be able to graduate no higher than division 4, if included at all.

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
Latest rumour is that a number of clubs are not happy with the current system and have been involved in secret meetings about forming a breakaway competition.
They insist that paying players should be allowed with clubs being set a cap. They would look at the laws being adopted at super rugby and international level. A modest representative program, including a "Spring Tour" of sorts, will all be part of a broader discussion.
I'm told it is currently 8-10 clubs and they are some of the traditionals, as well as some surprise packets.
I'm told that they will be called the "NSW Rugby Alliance" and will attempt to wrestle some of the traditional cups/trophies from Suburban Rugby.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
When they move to Castle Hill, are you changing your name to HillyHillsman or CastleyCastleman?

CastleHillyCastleHillsman would be a tad unwieldy.