• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2021

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Just saw on Fusesport that western raptors have been promoted to div 3. Will be interesting to see how they go for such a new seniors club

I know from being their near neighbours that they're trying to do everything right. Could be a massive good news story for Rugby in Western Sydney.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
A few things of interest so far:

* Redfield listed in Div 4
* No sign of Sydney Irish, are they running around in 2021?
* Kings Old Boys listed in a full time comp not sure if you would call it Div 5 or 6

I certainly hope Raptors make a go of Div 3. It is amazing to see the make up of Div 3 change so much in recent seasons. A lot of the clubs are now based outside of the North and East of Sydney which is great

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
* Redfield listed in Div 4

And only 2 Grades at that. Going to be very interesting to see just how much they're consolidation plan takes shape, as I would have through they could have managed 3 teams.

* No sign of Sydney Irish, are they running around in 2021?

One Grade this year as the travel restrictions bite: https://www.rugby.net.au/page/Jeffrey-Cup-x-706-132-597.html

* Kings Old Boys listed in a full time comp not sure if you would call it Div 5 or 6

I personally would call Jeffrey Cup "Div 5" as it appears to be the stronger of the 2 - and that is the cup traditionally for Div 5 First Grade. It has the finalists from 2020 - barring Brothers and those who moved up a division - as follows:

McLean - Dukes, Irish (both coming down)
Jeffrey - Burraneer, Sea Lice
Meldrum - Balmain
Non-finalists: Merrylands, Forces, Menai - who are back this year, being half Engadine's old roster apparently.

KOBs are in "Div 6" as the Meldrum Cup, a 6 club competition as there aren't enough to make 8, so think they'll play 3 Rounds in that case. Brothers are also there because of travel concerns, after a fairly good 2020.

Keeping "regional" structures may create problems if teams are then able to grow, and lose half their players who don't want to travel. Certainly when you look at the maps, there are some big Divisions, and little divisions, by land area:

lowerdivs.png

higherdivs.png

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Most divisions hit in around that 400sqkm mark, with Div 4 and Div 6 the outliers.

Of course if Blue Mountains weren't in Division 1, and someone like Hunters Hill filled that gap, it would be nearly as small as Div 6! :)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Subbies Womens 7s tomorrow. Should be good fun and hopefully is a vehicle to help more clubs get women's teams and then take it on to Tens.

A lot of the competitions outside Sydney have Womens Tens and I reckon it is the perfect vehicle for smaller clubs to get a range of body shapes and skill levels playing in a competitive environment.

Footyhead#2

Chris McKivat (8)
Subbies Womens 7s tomorrow. Should be good fun and hopefully is a vehicle to help more clubs get women's teams and then take it on to Tens.

A lot of the competitions outside Sydney have Womens Tens and I reckon it is the perfect vehicle for smaller clubs to get a range of body shapes and skill levels playing in a competitive environment.

How many teams entered in the Womens 7s?

Divs 3, 5 & 6 kick off tomorrow. Any goss or tips?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Divs 3, 5 & 6 kick off tomorrow. Any goss or tips?

Div 3: Keen to see how Raptors go against Iggies. I expect a contrast in styles and it'll test the depth of the new boys. Could be the start of something beautiful for rugby in Western Sydney tho.

Div 5 aka Jeffrey Cup: Dukes v Irish should be a cracker after both teams dropped from Div 4.

Div 6 aka Meldrum Cup: Lane Cove v Chatswood if only for the fact it is the last time Covies will play in front of the existing stand at Tantallon. The new facility won't have quite the same look.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Div 3: Keen to see how Raptors go against Iggies. I expect a contrast in styles and it'll test the depth of the new boys. Could be the start of something beautiful for rugby in Western Sydney tho.

Div 5 aka Jeffrey Cup: Dukes v Irish should be a cracker after both teams dropped from Div 4.

Div 6 aka Meldrum Cup: Lane Cove v Chatswood if only for the fact it is the last time Covies will play in front of the existing stand at Tantallon. The new facility won't have quite the same look.

Wow, I might have to watch some Clutch action.

Does anyone have visibility of Div 2 and how many clubs are able to field a 4th grade?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Has the Valley/HAC clash been postponed due to recent flooding?

I'd suggest that's the case. Deerubbin is not that far above water level and their canteen got wiped out - won't need to water for a while :( Looks like McQuade was not available.

Footyhead#2

Chris McKivat (8)

I thought Raptors were impressive. Had a few blokes playing multiple games which is hard to maintain but they should win more than they lose...

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I thought Raptors were impressive. Had a few blokes playing multiple games which is hard to maintain but they should win more than they lose.

I counted 52 personnel for 70 total records. Hopefully they drag a few more in at home in Week 2.

g00gle

Banned
Watched Raptors on Saturday at Ryde and they were very impressive for a first hit out in Div 3. Especially impressive in shifting the play into the back line and creating opportunities as they went up the field. Minor errors in play sometimes lost them momentum and if they can iron those out they are a real contender in the comp especially later on in the season.

meatpie

Herbert Moran (7)
Ok round 1 for Div1 and 2 this weekend. Anyone got any mail or tips for the weekend?
St Pats, hills and HH the ones to watch in Div2 for me.

Round 1 also for Div4. How are your boys looking Pitzy For the weekend?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Round 1 also for Div4. How are your boys looking Pitzy For the weekend?

Round 1 so who knows? Could be rocks or diamonds but I know we're at least doing a bit better for backline talent this year, while reducing our average age ;) Saints First Grade are a fairly tough proposition tho as their set piece is excellent and they're all in the sweet spot for age versus experience.

We're a few props down, so rather than playing Hunters Hill 5s at Boronia in the morning, I'll probably be lining up against Saints 2s in the afternoon. Makes my married life easier I guess, but not as much fun for a guy within sight of 45 and a wonky ankle - nothing from playing, but a player crashed into me while running the line on our charity day 3 weeks ago and I'm *still* bruised! :)

Training tonight, chiro tomorrow - should be right for Saturday ;)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
HH the ones to watch in Div2 for me.

Hunters Hill should do Old Barker without getting out of 2nd Gear.

Keen observers will note that Mosman have replaced Old Barker in both the Blunt & Richardson Cups this year, as Barker struggle to get their allocated teams out on the park.

Not great, and also makes Halligan Cup hard for a few clubs where Mosman could fill 1-2 slots a week.

Will be a long year in red n blue.

BundyBear

Peter Burge (5)
Division 2

Hunters hill over Barker - Hunters Hill to win 40+ in 1s+2s, and 30+ in 3s+4s. HH to win 4 grades (Colts to Barker).
St Pats over Newport - St Pats to win by 15. Newport will hang in their but Pats will have too much Speed and Size. Lower grades will be mixed.
UNSW over Epping - UNSW win comfortably 30+ in 1s. UNSW have recruited strongly and I expect them to win all grades.
Hills over Lindfield - Hills by 5. Lindfield will be the biggest movers this year with the strongest 1st grade side they have put on the park in a number of years, but Hills will hold on. Lindfield to win all other grades except 1st.

Overall Hunters Hill and St Pats will continue to dominate the Barraclough. UNSW and Hills should round out the top 4, with a fast moving Lindfield not far behind and with some luck could move into the top 4. Newport will remain competitive but depth may hurt them towards the back end of the year and they will finish a clear 6th. You can expect Epping & Barker to fight for the relegation battle, with both continuing the slide since their peak years of 2018.