• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2021

HeavyB

Alfred Walker (16)
Glad I left Sydney before Newport started having success..

Just here for a rant about how out of touch the professional game is... My new club in the Central West was visited by Chris Whittaker, Jake Gordon and some other Tahs last night mainly to do a session with the Juniors etc. The day before their visit our committee were hit up and told they were responsible for where those blokes were going to stay last night. Our amateur country rugby club, not the Waratahs or Rugby Australia is responsible and foots the bill for those blokes to come out apparently. Pleeeease.

Also, much to my amusement, I've discovered that all players out here have to buy a $5 ticket to their own game each week. Wonder how this would fly at subbies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Looks like Divs 3, 5, & 6 got their Wet Weather Weekend at just the right time.

Bit of a pickle for the rest of us. We're due up at Savers tomorrow and have organised a Halligan Cup game against Harlequins, so will see what happens.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)

Bit of a pickle for the rest of us. We're due up at Savers tomorrow and have organised a Halligan Cup game against Harlequins, so will see what happens.

Ovals should be fine. We havent had rain for a while and its windy as hell. Wind helps big time.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Uh great - thanks to the kneejerk restrictions we're now tossing up our bus trip requirements and talking to Savers about whether the Steyne is for post-match.

BundyBear

Peter Burge (5)
Round 4

Hunters Hill over Lindfield by 35 - Lindfield will be gallant but I expect HH to do this comfortably. Lindfield will be competitive in the lower grades but I expect HH to win all (2s by 20+ , 3s by 20, 4s by 3, Colts by 15).

St Pats over Epping by 50 - We have been told Epping can't field a colts and are scraping to get a 4th grade side. Pats in all grades comfortably.

Hills over Barker by 20 - Barker have been competitive the last few weeks against weaker opposition but I expect a reality check here. Hills to win all grades comfortably, with Barker nudging home in colts.

Newport over UNSW by 10 - A tough road trip for UNSW. Newport in all 5 grades.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Division 4:
Manly Savers v Renegades - we're down a few blokes and this is our first big away game. Savers will not forget their lesson from Oysters any time soon.
Sydney Harbour v Redfield - it'll be a decent match I reckon but Oysters are going to win another premiership undefeated is my bet.
Mac Uni v Oatley - the students might use their pace and skills to get around Oatley here I think. Could be wrong...
Canterbury v Saints - they're a decent rugby team, SnIves, and Canterbury are lower on numbers this year by the looks.

BundyBear

Peter Burge (5)
The big clubs shined yesterday.

St Pats v Epping
Another great day yesterday at the home of rugby Hudson Oval, with Pats winning 4 of 5 grades. A bit of credit to Epping who hung in their in 1st grade after going 28-0 in the first half, they came back with three tries to finish 35-15. Pats also take 2s, 4s and Colts, but had a shocker in 3rd grade. They have the talent but just can't put it together at the moment.

Hills v Barker
Hills thump Barker who look dreadful this year. Hills won 4 of 5 games as Barker somehow edge out another close game in 2s.

UNSW v Newport
UNSW take a big away win at Newport. Newport take all the biscuits in lower grades winning 4 of 5 grades.

Hunters Hill v Lindfield
Hunters Hill (as expected) provide a tough day for what looked a resilient Lindfield. Hunters win 4 of 5 grades. Well done to Lindfield for knocking off Hunters first Div 2 loss.

BundyBear

Peter Burge (5)
Looks like you had a great crack at it and lead most of the game. Positive signs for you as there is a clear break away in half the field in Division 4 at the moment.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Looks like you had a great crack at it and lead most of the game.

It was quite a good game. If we'd had our regular starting backline we could have won it - missing 9 and 12 but the guys who filled in were still high quality. We were still in the hunt even after I came on the field ;) Last play of the game were blew a possible try that would have given us 2 bonus points. C'est la vie.

Positive signs for you as there is a clear break away in half the field in Division 4 at the moment.

And we should have beaten Saints, really. Just a few brain farts stopped that one.

The top four *should* be Oysters, Redfield, Savers, and Renegades/Saints fighting it out for the last place. Really we should be running 2nd or even 1st but consistency is a bitch.

Seconds were a shambles after most of the starting lineup decided to just not front. Disappointing, really. We will be a lot better on the return leg against Savers but unless we're going to nail those away games we'll be watching finals again.

Thirds went down as well to a fitter, faster Harlequins, but again the lineup was not really what was named, and Quins went uncontested scrums which hurt our ability to use size at set piece.

Old mate 11

Bob McCowan (2)
How about the bust ups in div 3 colts this week!

Ag winger lands a shot on the jaw of a Blacktown forward after getting the ball stripped off him and cops a red card in the process.

Briars and Old Iggies erupt in an all in brawl past the in goal after Iggies go in to score. Hard to know what was said or done to provoke it nevertheless two briars players and the iggies 10 are sent off.

At raptors and beecroft the raptors 9 landed an unprovoked punch on a beecroft forward which the ref missed. He didn’t take too kindly to the deserved jeering and left the field and brought two of his mates to try and intimidate the beecroft sideline.

Gotta love footy

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
DIVISION FOUR:
Oatley v Saints - visitors to get the choccies here using their better rugby.
Renegades v Oysters - yet again we're down a few key players. Oysters will be keen to make amends after the close loss last time out. Tho it is one guy's 100th cap for us so hopefully we put up a good showing.
Redfield v Savers - home side will be flying high after the Giant Slaying they carried out at Lyne Park.
Canterbury v Mac Uni - the Beacons took out Oatley last saturday in the wind. They can do it again.

DIVISION FIVE:
Dukes v Merrylands - after a decent showing against us in the charity game preseason, Dukes aren't kicking on. Merrylands look good.
Irish v Menai - Old Boys' day at Sydney Irish I think? Reckon Menai will bring the size but Irish will out-kick them.
Balmain v Combined Forces - can the Veterans get their first win against a struggling Balmain? I think it'll be close, but travel will get the forces.
Sea Lice v Hammerheads - it is tight in 3rd and 4th spot, with both sides nearly even across the for/against as well as table points. Basically a home game for both of them, it would be worth a watch. Home team by a whisker.

DIVISION SIX
Maccabi v Brothers - CBOBs have found some form and will be hunting for top spot. Maccabi have been plucky but are running on fumes.
Kings Old Boys v Lane Cove - 17-all draw last time out. Kings to bounce back from last week's narrow loss to the Stags.
Wakehurst v Chatswood - Wakehurst look like they're enjoying the absence of Savers this year, and at this stage you'd have to say they're in the grand final against Brothers.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Div 2
Barker vs Newport: Must win for both sides to stay in touch with the top 4. Both sides form has been up and down but both capable on their day for some entertaining running rugby, I think Newport, just in a high scoring encounter.
UNSW vs Hills: A tough encounter with two skillful half combinations up against each other. Will go with the away side by 3.
Lindfield vs Epping: Old soldier will have this penciled in as one of their few wins this season. Lindfield by 13.
St Pats vs Hunters: MOTR, the two big dogs face off in what looks like this years grand final. Heart says St Pats but will go with the Div 1 dodgers Hunters Hill to win this by 10.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Have been watching back some Div 3 - mostly Raptors - on Cluch. They're going to challenge for Clark Cup honours this year, and the rust in Round 1 versus Iggies (2 intercept tries) is well and truly knocked off. The trips to Waterloo and Headen Park might be challenging but they've shown they can take apart any defence in the comp.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
A quick look at Div 3 - based on what I saw on Cluch:

HAC v Raptors - by a thowwwwwwsand.
Beecroft v Blacktown - the 'croft will be strong at home.
HValley v Iggies - away team to take it but not by much. Valley were solid the last couple of weeks.
Briars v Quins - up and down start for the jesters, but think they'll have too much

Old mate 11

Bob McCowan (2)
DIV 3

HAC V Raptors
1sts: Raptors by 50
2nds: Raptors by 14
Colts: Raptors by 30
3rds: Raptors by 28

Raptors too big and too strong for a demoralised HAC.

Beecroft v Blacktown
1sts: Beecroft by 17
2nds: Beecroft by 7
Colts: Beecroft by 30

Beecroft come home and sweep a spirited Blacktown outfit

Valley V Iggies
1sts: Valley by 3
2nds: Iggies by 24
3rds: Iggies by 30

Gonna back the upset here, Valley coming off a good win.

Briars v Quins
1sts: Briars by 7
2nds: Quins by 10
Colts: Easts by 12
3rds: Quins by 14

Briars to win a tight game in firsts but Quins should take the other grades.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
DIV 3

HAC V Raptors
1sts: Raptors by 50
2nds: Raptors by 14
Colts: Raptors by 30
3rds: Raptors by 28

Raptors too big and too strong for a demoralised HAC.

Colts by 28 - HAC have forfeited, meaning only 2 Colts games in 3rd Div this weekend.

Meanwhile, a bunch of Shute Shield clubs are warehousing Colts who will never play Grade for their club.

Eastwood moving into our area directly will make for a few interesting conversations down the track.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Colts by 28 - HAC have forfeited, meaning only 2 Colts games in 3rd Div this weekend.

Meanwhile, a bunch of Shute Shield clubs are warehousing Colts who will never play Grade for their club.

Eastwood moving into our area directly will make for a few interesting conversations down the track.

Don’t count on it, mate. They have not been easy to deal with this year. Don’t seem interested.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Div 2
Barker vs Newport: Must win for both sides to stay in touch with the top 4. Both sides form has been up and down but both capable on their day for some entertaining running rugby, I think Newport, just in a high scoring encounter.
UNSW vs Hills: A tough encounter with two skillful half combinations up against each other. Will go with the away side by 3.
Lindfield vs Epping: Old soldier will have this penciled in as one of their few wins this season. Lindfield by 13.
St Pats vs Hunters: MOTR, the two big dogs face off in what looks like this years grand final. Heart says St Pats but will go with the Div 1 dodgers Hunters Hill to win this by 10.

Well I nailed that one. 1/4.

A massive week in Div 2. Epping get there first win, UNSW pumped Hills and St Pats inflict Div 1 dodgers Hunters first loss. The Breakers also nab a 5/5 against BOBs/Mosman and are slowly building into their season.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Don’t count on it, mate. They have not been easy to deal with this year. Don’t seem interested.

I didn't necessarily mean conversations with *them* :) I meant local clubs internally.

And no, the Premier clubs don't necessarily seem interested in even acknowledging us. But that doesn't mean we'll stop hassling them about it.