• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2023!

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
If you ask 40 Subbies clubs what the best structure is, you'll get about 25 different suggestions ;)
Completely agree. Subbies make a call and let’s get moving. I just want to see something happening, we are 10 Weeks from Rd 1 and we T seems nothing has been locked in!

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
Typically we'd have a Division 1 draw by now but we've come out of a few atypical years.

Clubs in Div 1 should know where they sit after discussions with the Board.
Clubs in Divs 2 & 3 should also be fairly confident of their position, based on the Board (via the CCR) discussions in Q4 of last year.
Clubs in Divs 4+ will be seeking to lock down their numbers so they can inform Subbies of their intentions (affiliation forms went in with the best estimate back in November, but it's a fluid landscape).

Any club who is unclear on that position can call Subbies.

Any club members requiring clarity should seek it from their club Executive as a first point.

There won't be any last minute changes because the Board aren't just taking anyone's word for it at this point, and will be watching numbers as well as communicating closely with clubs.
I’m sure(hope) the club executives know more than we do about what division there in. But the structure of that division is just as important.

If your a middle to lower ranked side in Div 2 and all Of a sudden it’s 5-6 team comp and your drawn to play one of the top teams 3 times it becomes a much harder proposition for you to compete and retain numbers.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I’m sure(hope) the club executives know more than we do about what division there in. But the structure of that division is just as important.

If your a middle to lower ranked side in Div 2 and all Of a sudden it’s 5-6 team comp and your drawn to play one of the top teams 3 times it becomes a much harder proposition for you to compete and retain numbers.
Youd be better off just playing 2 rounds and have a short season which is what most players want now. Nobody wants to grind a season of subbies these days.
We have spoken to multiple clubs in the last 3 months about their intentions and planning for 2023. Based on those communications, we're reasonably confident that whatever structure comes out of it will be the best option available.

In this we are considering not only 2023 but the entire competition structure ongoing.

Food for thought in achieving "better":
1) Need to be wary of clubs moving to (or staying in) Divisions beyond their capabilities, which can destroy that club.
AND
2) Similarly, a club landing in a Division where they are beyond the capabilities of everyone else has the potential to wreck multiple other clubs.
I trust Subbies have spoken to clubs and are trying to facilitate the best possible comp for all clubs but we all know there are certain clubs that talk out their ass and will fuck this up. The clubs vary year to year, I'm not pointing fingers at anyone. Thinking of that I'd support subbies in just making a call on some of them.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
we all know there are certain clubs that talk out their ass and will fuck this up.

Always the risk. Trying to get Divisions settled and a draw out in (or before) January, when player registration isn't even open (and a percentage of players wouldn't register anyway) is a bit of a risk as well.

Historically I look at a case like Kings Old Boys whose committee wasn't reading the tea leaves, and stayed on in Div 2 past their ability to compete in quality or numbers.

The difference this season is we started talking to clubs back in October about their intentions and have followed up as required through to now.

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
Ok I’m over ranting. It’s a long season and I’m sure I’ll have plenty more to come.

Lets get some predictions!
- Who wins the Kentwell?
- Which Club will be the club to watch?
- Which club will have a year to forget?
- Best Club House?
- Which League Star will we see having a run in 6th Div halfway through the year?
- Last one after my own heart! Best Burger in Subbies?

Last edited:

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
Lets get some predictions!
- Who wins the Kentwell?
- Which Club will be the club to watch?
- Which club will have a year to forget?
- Best Club House?
- Which League Star will we see having a run in 6th Div halfway through the year?
- Last one after my own heart! Best Burger in Subbies?
- I’m going an outsider for Kentwell Champions in St Pats.
- Club to watch- Manly Savers came close to winning it last year and I reckon they’ll build to be a powerhouse in Subbies over the next few years. Notable mention to Lindfield who I think win the club champs in Div 2 and take on Div 1 in 2024.
- Year to forget- Drummoyne will struggle to reach the heights again in an incredibly tough Div 1. Similarly Barker to struggle with a lack of depth towards the back end of a tough season.
- Best club house has to go to the Saints. It’s the envy of every other club out there!
- League Star- Tommy Turbo having a run for the Savers after being let go from Manly due to his hamstring issues.
- Best Burger is a toss up between the Whale Burger and the RamBurger hard to split them. I’d like to volunteer as the offical taster for 2023…

Last edited:

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
- I’m going an outsider for Kentwell Champions in St Pats.
- Club to watch- Manly Savers came close to winning it last year and I reckon they’ll build to be a powerhouse in Subbies over the next few years. Notable mention to Lindfield so I think win the club champs in Div 2 and take on Div 1 in 2024.
- Year to forget- Drummoyne will struggle to reach the heights again in an incredibly tough year. Similarly Barker to struggle with a lack of depth towards the back end of a tough season.
- Best club house has to go to the Saints. It’s the envy of every other club out there!
- League Star- Tommy Turbo having a run for the Savers after being let go from Manly due to his hamstring issues.
- Best Burger is a toss up between the Whale Burger and the RamBurger hard to split them. I’d like to volunteer as the offical taster for 2023…
If your aim was to bait me - you have won

St Pats cant win Kentwell unless they have decided to pick up 7 new players and use a backline. Forwards were good but its easy to beat 8 when you have 15 on the field.
Who are the Manly Savers? Div 6?
Whats the point of Saints clubhouse when they havent been a relevant subbies team since 2006.
Whale burger is overrated just like the Rawson Oval Deck

Who wins the Kentwell? - Hunters Hill
- Which Club will be the club to watch? - Knox in Div 3
- Which club will have a year to forget? - Forest
- Best Club House? Blue Mountains
Jarryd Hayne will play for the Rouse Hill Renegades this year.
- Last one after my own heart! Best Burger in Subbies? Come back to me in round 8 when I sample all of them in Div 1

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Loving the elitism. It's funny because most of the people I deal with at Hunters Hill aren't like this.
Just a bit of Banter Pfitzy -
Manly seem to be improving and have the ability to pick up some handy backpackers with international experience. If that continues, then they could push up to Div 2 in the future.
Ive had many beers in that clubhouse at St Ives - Every club goes through tough times and im sure the saints will grow again considering their junior base.

BJT

Peter Burge (5)

Its just odd when a Div 2 team wanted to go up, would have made Div 1 an even number comp, but subbies said no. Would have allowed a re-draft of Div 2 & 3 to accommodate....

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
- Who wins the Kentwell? Mosman

- Which Club will be the club to watch? I'd like to see Epping have a solid year after a disruptive year last year
- Which club will have a year to forget? Drummoyne
- Best Club House? Saints
- Which League Star will we see having a run in 6th Div halfway through the year? Junior Paulo back at Oatley
- Last one after my own heart! Best Burger in Subbies? Blacktown

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Youd be better off just playing 2 rounds and have a short season which is what most players want now. Nobody wants to grind a season of subbies these days.

I trust Subbies have spoken to clubs and are trying to facilitate the best possible comp for all clubs but we all know there are certain clubs that talk out their ass and will fuck this up. The clubs vary year to year, I'm not pointing fingers at anyone. Thinking of that I'd support subbies in just making a call on some of them.
The inmates running the asylum rarely works out well. A bit of consultation is okay but time for the powers that be to drop some hammers.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
If your aim was to bait me - you have won

St Pats cant win Kentwell unless they have decided to pick up 7 new players and use a backline. Forwards were good but its easy to beat 8 when you have 15 on the field.
Who are the Manly Savers? Div 6?
Whats the point of Saints clubhouse when they havent been a relevant subbies team since 2006.
Whale burger is overrated just like the Rawson Oval Deck

Who wins the Kentwell? - Hunters Hill
- Which Club will be the club to watch? - Knox in Div 3
- Which club will have a year to forget? - Forest
- Best Club House? Blue Mountains
Jarryd Hayne will play for the Rouse Hill Renegades this year.
- Last one after my own heart! Best Burger in Subbies? Come back to me in round 8 when I sample all of them in Div 1
Strong opinions as always EC.

Not sure how recruitment is progressing at the Hurt Locker but (hopefully) drier conditions this season will definitely make playing 8v15 a difficult proposition.

What's the latest on ground quality around the traps. I am sure you are disappointed that HH will not be gracing Lofberg Oval in 2023.

P.S. Strongly agree that the Whale Burger does not deserve it's reputation. Blue Mountains have a strong contender in this area but the name of their flagship meal escapes me.

Waterloo_Ned

Herbert Moran (7)
Kentwell - Colleagues to win, with Mosman 2nd. Biggest disappointment? Drummoyne to be relegated.

Div 2 - Newport by a landslide. Lindfield and UNSW fighting for the other grand final spot. Hills will win 3rd Grade at the expense of their top 2 teams. Biggest disappointment? Valley to drop off, but will be hidden by Barkers inability to fight in this division.

Div 3 - Knox and Manly Savers GF. Manly are the 3rd biggest junior club in Sydney and will be in Div 2 within 12 months. Biggest disappointment? Old Ignatians to struggle.

I am looking forward to seeing what the board has to do. Their love affair with clubs like Drummoyne, Renegades and Hunters Hill is very contrary to their views on other clubs like Knox, Epping, Hills and Blacktown. I just hope the decisions are made with clear thought about ramifications.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Their love affair with clubs like Drummoyne, Renegades and Hunters Hill

Renegades? Do tell.

As for Hunters Hill, well from afar they've gone up a division and made Kentwell GF as well as 3 other grades getting a crack at the pointy end of the season. Not sure that's "love affair" territory but I'm all ears.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The inmates running the asylum rarely works out well. A bit of consultation is okay but time for the powers that be to drop some hammers.

Myes, yes ... go read the 2022 thread for the undying support Subbies got for "dropping hammers" last year. Tough crowd. :)