• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2023!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
In terms of the game, there were decisions that we have to own. We played the ref's game, and not ours, and got what we probably deserved on the scoreboard.

Saints played hard, accurate footy and deserved the win.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Refereeing is a tough gig, and we don't have eyes all over the field, nor do we have TV and endless replays to back us up when we're out in the middle with the whistle. I've managed to referee one game this year due to club commitments, and while it was 5th Grade, I did my best to ensure I got things right; it's all you can really do.

As the club's qualified ref, I am on the sideline with a flag most weeks for our games. Generally speaking I understand why decisions are made or not, and am prepared to give the referee the benefit of the doubt because their perspective is different to mine.

Having seen some of the decisions both live and on review, I must admit I'm still a little puzzled by some of them.

Definitely not the red card though. We do not sanction any of those actions.

Last edited:

Uzimal1989

Bob McCowan (2)
Refereeing is a tough gig, and we don't have eyes all over the field, nor do we have TV and endless replays to back us up when we're out in the middle with the whistle. I've managed to referee one game this year due to club commitments, and while it was 5th Grade, I did my best to ensure I got things right; it's all you can really do.

As the club's qualified ref, I am on the sideline with a flag most weeks for our games. Generally speaking I understand why decisions are made or not, and am prepared to give the referee the benefit of the doubt because their perspective is different to mine.

Having seen some of the decisions both live and on review, I must admit I'm still a little puzzled by some of them.

Definitely not the red card though. We do not sanction any of those actions.
Well done mate I commend you and all the effort you put in in trying to get 5 off the field

Uzimal1989

Bob McCowan (2)
People have told me I should go refereeing full time during season and help out.

My response: "Love to. Go find the club another 5 volunteers to give me the free time." ;)
Can only imagine some of the responses from people
1. You have enough players to ask
2. But I have no time to volunteer
3. Ok you are on

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
To be fair we've engaged a team manager this year for the first time in ages, and have a couple of helpful people around. But another... say.... 10? would be nice ;)

Mule

Banned
In terms of the game, there were decisions that we have to own. We played the ref's game, and not ours, and got what we probably deserved on the scoreboard.

Saints played hard, accurate footy and deserved the win.
@Pfitzy this is very noble of you, and a quote I'd like to use going forward with other teams as it's rings true so often!!! "In terms of the game, there were decisions that we have to own. We played the ref's game, and not ours". kudos to you @Pfitzy

Champagne Rugby

Stan Wickham (3)
Awesome weekend of rugby in div 3 (an average winning margin of 5) with some surprise results which had i done tips would not have been right.

Beecroft 25 v Oysters 20: they split the regular season 1:1 both winning convincingly at home, Oysters got off to a flyer with 2 fast tries with missed conversions and it was looking bad for beecroft when, they started to hold on to the ball and starve and grind down the opposition a tactic which worked and saw them score them claw back in the first half and overtake oysters take in the second. was a super high quality game.

Harlequins 18 v Knox 10: Knox will be kicking themselves for running on after leading 10 -3 at the 60th minute mark and not making their conversions which would have added some scoreboard pressure. Harlequins set piece domination and structure using their big forwards was the difference as the slowly crawled their way back into the game with penalties and then 2 late tries.

2nd div:
Easts 18 v Beecroft 17 Cracker of game which was a see sawing affair which saw easts win by one point, this will make a hell of a grand final rematch if things fall that way
Harlequins 22 v 17: It was the best I had seen BOBS all year, but harlequins which have been most consistent all year ended up winning, in typical quinns fashion using the structure and forward dominance with a good kicking game to win.

Colts
Knox 27 v East 26: This time Easts went down with a conversion after the siren for knox to win.
Beecroft 19 v Manly 8: Beecroft started the trend for the day of the second half comeback being down 8-0 at half time before winning 19-8.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
@Pfitzy this is very noble of you, and a quote I'd like to use going forward with other teams as it's rings true so often!!! "In terms of the game, there were decisions that we have to own. We played the ref's game, and not ours". kudos to you @Pfitzy

Cheers mate. I'm too old to get angry about this stuff ;)

Bring on the end of the season!

footy_footy

Chris McKivat (8)
Seems as though Colleagues have an unassailable lead on the Div 1 Club Championship despite the bye this weekend. Not even a full bonus point clean sweep from Drummoyne would displace the Blue Giants.

Forest and Petersham have a lot to play for and the final standings at the other end of the ladder are still up in the air.

Petersham have a road trip to Blue Mountains and Forest a date at Drummoyne Oval - not an easy task for either club!

I'm backing Forest to sneak ahead of Petersham by the time full-time is blown in Kentwell.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Div 2 Prelim Finals

Barraclough - UNSW vs Newport
UNSW towelled the Breakers 43-5 and 36-0 during the season however I think this one will be much closer. Newport's best chance is for their smaller fitter pack to try and run the UNSW big tight 5 around the park. Avoid set piece battles and let the Breakers rejuvanated backs work their magic. That said I can only see a UNSW victory here but will be signficantly tighter than previous clashes. UNSW by 12

Stockdale - UNSW vs Hills
UNSW have had Hills measure in both encounters throughout the season and I think will prove dominant here again. UNSW were touched up last week against Old Soldier but they will bounce back here with a comfortable 20+ victory to lock in another Lindfield mauling next week.

Robertson - UNSW vs Newport
Breakers heartbreak game from last year where they went down late against Easts to deny them a shot at arch enemies Lindfield in the GF. This game presents similar dangers. Newport flogged UNSW round one but toughed out a 21-20 2nd round nail biter. After letting it slip last week when they had Lindfield on the rack they wont make the same mistake and should win and win well off the back of a dominate scrum.
Im nervous but confident!

Blunt - Epping vs Lindfield
Epping looking to deny Lindfield a fullhouse of GF appearances and have the more skillful backline which should seperate the two. This will be a real arm wrestle but am going to go with the Rams by 7

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Div 1 Round 14 Preview + Finals Predictions

Blue Mountains
- Petersham. Long way to go for Petersham to try stay up in Div 1. This might be a bridge too far unfortunately for them. Blueys to use this as a tune up for next week. High scoring affair. Blueys by 10

Drummoyne
- Forest - Drummoyne to confirm their finals appearance. Forest may have checked out already for the year. Some handy athletes in this Drummoyne team who will be very dangerous come finals time. Drummoyne to win this by 14

Hunters Hill
- St Pats.This will be a close game. HH playing for the Minor Premiership. St Pats love coming up to Boronia and spoiling the party and. I can see this one being close, but we should do enough to get over the line. HH by 6

Mosman
- Waverley. Im going with the Whales in this one to sneak into the 4. Feel that they will use this are their GF and pick up that Bonus point win to jump Colleagues. Waverley are very strong so it wont be easy. This one might be penalty on the last play to separate the teams. Mosman by 1

I wonder if Colleagues will look back on that debacle at Hudson a few weeks ago with the kicker being timed out. To be fair, the second kick should have been iced, but interesting that something like that will likely cost Colleagues a shot at defending their title.

Finals Week 1
Blueys - HH
Drummoyne - Mosman

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Div 4 finals

McClean Cup
QFA
- Rockdale v Renegades - we've had some serious ups and downs in personnel this year, and have not been able to consistently put out the same team twice. Late season injuries and absences have cruelled our momentum. While I'd like to back the boys, Rockdale have a great scrum and backline, and have had consistency in selection. Rockdale by 20ish.

QFB - Redfield v Wakehurst - might be closer than the table position and the margins from Rounds 3 & 12 suggest. Redfield are fit and well organised, and always good value at finals time, but Wakehurst have upped their game in terms of set piece recently and will be able to focus on a single grade. Redfield by about 15.

Grose Cup
QFA - Rockdale
v Chatswood - the Staggies were cohesive across both their grades, but it meant their 2s were once again the better performers, relatively speaking. Rockdale's only question will be numbers on the day. They've used 47 players in total this season, but only around 30-32 in the last month or so. I think they should still have enough. Rockdale by 8.

QFB - Redfield v Raptors - fitness should get Redfield over the line here, but it depends how the Raptors play. They could power it up the middle and make it a contest, and they got close to Rockdale last week. Redfield by 5.

oldmate11

Herbert Moran (7)
Div 3 Prelim Finals Preview

Clark Cup - Sydney Harbour v Sydney Harlequins

Plenty of big collisions in this one as these two well drilled sides do battle for a spot in the big dance. Harbour will look to spread the ball wide and move the bigger Harlequins pack around in order to control the game. Harlequins definitely the outsiders here but if they can control possession and slow down the ruck they certainly have the ability to spring a big upset. At this stage I think the match will fluctuate for a while, with Harbour getting the lead in the last 10 minutes. Harbour by 5

Farrant Cup - Beecroft v Sydney Harlequins

These two sides have had some good battles this year with Beecroft getting the better of Harlequins both times including an impressive comeback at Waterloo. Ultimately, I feel this game becoming a numbers game. Harlequins stretched across the two grades and Beecroft 1st grade already in the grand final allows them to put out a strong team for this one. For that reason I think Beecroft win comfortably. Beecroft by 12

Nicholson Cup - Eastern Suburbs v Beecroft

This will be an absolute belter of a game. These two sides split results during the season and Easts are extremely unlucky to not be in the grand final already. Beecroft if they avoid discipline issues can beat anyone on their day, with a star studded backline lead by subbies top try scorer Sam Horner who has one of the cleanest left foot steps at this level. East’s are well drilled and with possession can grind teams into the ground. Ultimately, a Sam Horner left foot special gets Beecroft over the line on the bell. Beecroft by 1 and back to back 1 point losses for Easts.