• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Subbies 2023!

Let it sing

Frank Nicholson (4)
Well done to the Breakers in 1st Grade. I thought the game was going to finish in the dark after scrum after scrum penalty.

Uni will be ruing the one that got away. Shapes up as a monster of a match for the Barraclough next week

TheBigArvo

Ted Fahey (11)
Well done to the Breakers in 1st Grade. I thought the game was going to finish in the dark after scrum after scrum penalty.

Uni will be ruing the one that got away. Shapes up as a monster of a match for the Barraclough next week
Looked like a cracking game. Unfortunately the stream of the game didn’t work so those at home couldn’t follow along. Well done Newport to hold on

TheBigArvo

Ted Fahey (11)
Well looks like Subbies worst nightmare has come true with Mosman falling into the relegation zone. Everyone found it easy to push Forrest and Petersham down to make room for Lindfield. I wonder what Subbies are going to do now it’s one of the “big clubs”. Surely Mosman will use the Drummoyne defence and if I’m Forrest I’d be digging my heels in.

Add to that how are the Div 2 clubs going to feel if Lindfield go onto clean sweep the division and remain there next year….

I look forward to many arguments over the coming off season!

SticksXI

Bob McCowan (2)
Well looks like Subbies worst nightmare has come true with Mosman falling into the relegation zone. Everyone found it easy to push Forrest and Petersham down to make room for Lindfield. I wonder what Subbies are going to do now it’s one of the “big clubs”. Surely Mosman will use the Drummoyne defence and if I’m Forrest I’d be digging my heels in.

Add to that how are the Div 2 clubs going to feel if Lindfield go onto clean sweep the division and remain there next year….

Relegation is relegation. If teams don't think they should be there they will just have to dig themselves out next season

HogansHeros

Bob Loudon (25)
Sticking with Div 3 wild predictions.

My Top 4s come final time.

Clark Cup
1. Sydney Harbour
2. Manly Savers
3. Beecroft
4. Knox

Farrant Cup
1. Sydney Harlequins
2. Beecroft
3. Manly Savers
4. Sydney Harbour

Nicholson Cup
1. Beecroft
2. Easts
3. Knox
4. Manly

Looking back:
I had expected big things from a building Savers, but its all fallen apart.

Clark Cup.
3/4, take savers out of the equation. Harbour have performed as expected, and today destroyed quinns to get into the GF. Was clear early in the season it would be a Croft v Harbour GF they have both been a cut above most of the season

Farrant Cup.
Savers 2nd grade only played 1 game i believe, i was completely wrong there. Although Beecroft only lost 1 games this regular season the competition was very close in the top 4. Harbour (Easts) have been very strong and only beat Croft by 1 point in the major semi, will make a cracker GF.

Nicholson Cup
Got all 4 just in the wrong order.
Been some great fast paced games in Colts. Hopefully some more subbies clubs can put together some colts for next season. Would be great for Knox to put away Easts in the GF!

Keen for next weekend!

Heavyd

Arch Winning (36)
The Breakers!!!!! The boys into the GF with 3rd grade props and other brave hero’s out of position braving it in the front row. UNSW completely disrespected Newport by not taking multiple early penalties when they had the chance. Newport number 10 a class above Subbies level but we will take him everyday of the week. Yeah the boys!!!

Prodigy

Ron Walden (29)
Relegation is relegation. If teams don't think they should be there they will just have to dig themselves out next season
Unfortunately not. It’s regrading and it is ‘assessed’ by the board. I think they’ll back themselves into a corner and we see a 10 club division 1 in 2024

The Wombat

Chris McKivat (8)
Th

It’d be ridiculous to send Mosman down. They finished above Forest in every grade except Colts

oldmate11

Herbert Moran (7)
One of the all time games for Newport. The last play sequence which lasted for about 10 minutes is what rugby is truly about. Would be sick if they denied Lindfield the premiership.

oldmate11

Herbert Moran (7)
One of the all time games for Newport. The last play sequence which lasted for about 10 minutes is what rugby is truly about. Would be sick if they denied Lindfield the premiership.
Also pray for the Newport front rowers necks in the morning, geez they were under the pump.

Bismarck12345

Stan Wickham (3)
Think breakers were up for the win - credit to them. Interesting that their players who played today weren’t there all season. “Europe” was a meme, but last week they beat us with players who were “on the bench” for the last few weeks but magically were back. Am sure UNSW is licking their wounds, but know that Newport has had history with saying their players are on the bench but are half a world away. They barely beat us last week, by question if they will even get close to lindfield - unsw choked. I feel that they got away with registering layers who were away - they claimed they had certain players playing, but they were verifiably injured. Such is subbies, but it doesn’t make team stacking any better

Last edited:

Denistone_Dennis

Chris McKivat (8)
Think breakers were up for the win - credit to them. Interesting that their players who played today weren’t there all season. “Europe” was a meme, but last week they beat us with players who were “on the bench” for the last few weeks but magically were back. Am sure UNSW is licking their wounds, but know that Newport has had history with saying their players are on the bench but are half a world away. They barely beat us last week, by question if they will even get close to lindfield - unsw choked. I feel that they got away with registering layers who were away - they claimed they had certain players playing, but they were verifiably injured. Such is subbies, but it doesn’t make team stacking any better
Fair. But if us last week and the rest of the comp hadn't blown it earlier in the year against newport it wouldn't even be a consideration.

Lurker

Bob McCowan (2)
Th

It’d be ridiculous to send Mosman down. They finished above Forest in every grade except Colts
Mate - you need your head read!

It doesn’t matter how many old blokes run around in Mosman 7ths….they forfeited a series of colts games - and deserve no mercy. The Club Champs is the ONLY measure…..

A 10 team complete Div One would be a complete joke…. Mosman better get Google maps out and discover the delights of Yettinden and Somerville

Last edited:

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
Congratulations to Newport on what is, probably, described as a major upset. Personally the Woodsman thought that UNSW was the only team that may challenge Lindfield for the Barraclough, however, this Newport squad is resilient and tough.
Will be interesting to see if Lindfield can complete the sweep next week, in what is a landmark season for the club.
LOWER DIVISIONS PREDICTIONS:
Division 2
Barraclough:
Lindfield vs Newport - LINDFIELD
Stockdale: Lindfield vs UNSW - LINDFIELD
Robertson: Lindfield vs Newport - LINDFIELD
Blunt: Hills vs Lindfield - LINDFIELD
Richardson: Lindfield vs UNSW - LINDFIELD
Yep, I think that Lindfield do the sweep of Division 2 and add all five trophies to the Halligan Cup, Reliance Shield and Cowboy Cup, becoming the most successful season in Subbies history.

Division 3
Clark:
Beecroft vs Sydney Harbour - HARBOUR
Farrant: Sydney Harbour (Easts) vs Beecroft - EASTS
Nicholson: Knox vs Easts - KNOX
As much as I would like to see the men in green knock over this weird set up at Harbour, I think the fact that they have to recycle reserves may be there undoing. I know they have a tremendous colts group to call on, but I think they get down. Eric Tweedale will be a great place for finals footy.

Division 4
McLean:
Irish vs Redfield; Merrylands vs Rockdale - IRISH vs MERRYLANDS GF with Irish's smarts to beat Merrylands size.
Grose: Merrylands vs Redfield; Irish vs Rockdale - MERRYLANDS vs IRISH GF with Merrylands landing second grade.

Division 5
Interesting set up where you don't have to be the best in the competition to win a trophy.
JEFFREY: Burraneer vs (Winner of Oatley v Georges River): I don't think it matters who they play BURRANEER have dominated Division 5 and will be the Jeffrey Cup champs.
MELDRUM: Canterbury vs (Winner of Kings v Colleagues): This is a prize for 5th place, yep, you read that right. It's the FLINT MICHIGAN MEGA BOWL (for all you Jackie Moon fans). In the who cares cup, Canterbury win.

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
Mate - you need your head read!

It doesn’t matter how many old blokes run around in Mosman 7ths….they forfeited a series of colts games - and deserve no mercy. The Club Champs is the ONLY measure…..

A 10 team complete Div One would be a complete joke…. Mosman better get Google maps out and discover the delights of Yettinden and Somerville
With a whole off season to go, I'm going to sell you my proposal for Division 1:

Division 1 (10 clubs - 4 grades and Colts)
Pool A:
Blue Mountains, Forest, Hunters Hill, Lindfield, Mosman
Pool B: Colleagues, Drummoyne, Petersham, St Patricks, Waverley

Home and away for your own pool in Rounds 1-8, then cross over and play everyone in the opposite pool in Round 9-13. Round 14 is a shoot out for positions - 1st in Pool A vs 1st in Pool B; 2nd in Pool a vs 2nd in Pool B, etc.

Semi Finals: Teams are ranked based on the last round playoff, winner of 1v1 is ‘minor premiers’.
Week 1 Qualifying Finals: 3 v 6; 4 v 5
Week 2 Semi Finals: 1 vs Winner of 4v5; 2 vs Winner of 3v6
Week 3 Grand Final: Winners of Semi Finals play off

Before you toss my proposal, I'll remind you that a number of Division 2 clubs are on the brink and might be unwilling to compete in the Division if Mosman and Petersham are dropped, or Lindfield stays. It is a tough slog getting players to games, without the threat of these Division 1 clubs, after a down year, taking it out on the rest of them.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Division 1 (10 clubs - 4 grades and Colts)
Pool A:
Blue Mountains, Forest, Hunters Hill, Lindfield, Mosman
Pool B: Colleagues, Drummoyne, Petersham, St Patricks, Waverley

What about ranking them on CC points?

Pool A: Colleagues, Drummoyne, Blue Mountains, Forest, Mosman
Pool B: Hunters Hill, Waverley, St Pats, Petersham, Lindfield*

* Wildcard last spot as they are the promoted club.