• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2023!

Oak_Wood

Frank Row (1)
It greatly pains me to make this post as I have been passionately involved in Rugby For over 50 years as a player, parent & volunteer! I was witness to a Grand Final today not decided by the players but by some incredibly incompetent & disgraceful officiating! When are the custodians of this game going to understand that officials injecting themselves into the game & deciding the outcome is a key reason why this game is declining in popularity! Two penalty tries & after time is up, awarding a try after the touch judge called a no try as the player was held up over the line. The team that ultimately was awarded the game (they didn’t win the game) would be thinking they won the lottery tonight. I sincerely despair about the future of this game! I hope these officials review their efforts in hindsight & reflect on their ultimate influence on the game and understand that they detracted from the game they play in heaven!

Denistone_Dennis

Chris McKivat (8)
It greatly pains me to make this post as I have been passionately involved in Rugby For over 50 years as a player, parent & volunteer! I was witness to a Grand Final today not decided by the players but by some incredibly incompetent & disgraceful officiating! When are the custodians of this game going to understand that officials injecting themselves into the game & deciding the outcome is a key reason why this game is declining in popularity! Two penalty tries & after time is up, awarding a try after the touch judge called a no try as the player was held up over the line. The team that ultimately was awarded the game (they didn’t win the game) would be thinking they won the lottery tonight. I sincerely despair about the future of this game! I hope these officials review their efforts in hindsight & reflect on their ultimate influence on the game and understand that they detracted from the game they play in heaven!
I remember my first beer...

CryingShame

Frank Row (1)
Hills get up in the 3rd grade grand final. Early mail suggests Andrew Cardinale will be stomping on heads all night in celebration.
Confirming the above has come to fruition

Attachments

• IMG_2980.jpeg
    IMG_2980.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 207

Let it sing

Stan Wickham (3)
I was wondering that. Saw he got a red card but was still on the field at the end of the game (took the last kick) and then was carded after the coaches points were awarded???
He was issued with a yellow card in the game not red. Was subsequently cited and cleared to play

BundyBear

Peter Burge (5)
Division 3 Wrap Up
- Sydney Harbour
continue their run of the lower divisions, now claiming the ultimate title in Division 6, Division 5, Division 4 and now Division 3. One would have to think that is where the roller coaster ends as there is a substantial gap between the likes of Lindfield, Newport and a relegated Division 1 side like Petersham. They are the most structured side in the lower divisions, but depth and size would test them against quality opposition.
- Beecrof
t have set a stronger platform, with a team competing to the end in every grade, while taking the 2nd grade premiership, and arguably having the 1st grade premiership stolen from them. The strength of their juniors and 1st grade side would for me have them up a division next year ahead of Briars.
- Knox can be proud of themselves and there young squad will set them up well for a run next year. Club numbers do not appear to be improving, and a lack of contributors at the club appears to be problematic.
- Harlequins and Barker finish in the mid table with room to improve if the likes of Valley, Briars, or even Epping possibly having to make the move down.
- Manly showed what a shameful club they are, but expect them to go back to being the kings of Division 5 next year, as numbers revive when they discover they can bully small upstarter clubs.

Division 2 Wrap Up
- In Division 2, Lindfield sealed their ticket up a division with premierships in the top 2 grades. A strong colts program will foster that and they should be comfortable with the move.
- Newport through all there criticism, showed yesterday they just breed talent. If their numbers return, expect them to take some silverware next year, even with Forest and Petersham floating around.
- Meanwhile, Hills will be left to wonder "if only". The high priority of running 3 ex Two Blues first graders in 3rd grade may have won them the Blunt Cup, but their committee must ask if the right decision was made. If Pike, Cox and Tamone were playing 1st grade, there is little doubt in my mind, they would have taken Lindfield to the precipice at around 4.30pm yesterday.
- Briars can be proud of their numbers, although limited wins were had in 2023. Always a good club culture, but there top grades would not even contend in Division 3 at the moment. They should move down next year.
- Epping are a mixed bag, and the only side who could lose by 50 one week, before winning the next week, highlighting some depth concerns. There 2nd grade appears a problem, going winless in 2023. I am unsure of the intricacies of their colts program, so they will need to bring that program through to remain competitive.
- Valley are the big losers of 2023. An ageing club with limited coaching and committee, they will be the first club to move down in 2024. They have a long rebuild ahead, which a few years in Division 3 will mask, but bigger problems lie ahead without a complete clean out that begins at the top.

Denistone_Dennis

Chris McKivat (8)
Division 3 Wrap Up
- Sydney Harbour
continue their run of the lower divisions, now claiming the ultimate title in Division 6, Division 5, Division 4 and now Division 3. One would have to think that is where the roller coaster ends as there is a substantial gap between the likes of Lindfield, Newport and a relegated Division 1 side like Petersham. They are the most structured side in the lower divisions, but depth and size would test them against quality opposition.
- Beecrof
t have set a stronger platform, with a team competing to the end in every grade, while taking the 2nd grade premiership, and arguably having the 1st grade premiership stolen from them. The strength of their juniors and 1st grade side would for me have them up a division next year ahead of Briars.
- Knox can be proud of themselves and there young squad will set them up well for a run next year. Club numbers do not appear to be improving, and a lack of contributors at the club appears to be problematic.
- Harlequins and Barker finish in the mid table with room to improve if the likes of Valley, Briars, or even Epping possibly having to make the move down.
- Manly showed what a shameful club they are, but expect them to go back to being the kings of Division 5 next year, as numbers revive when they discover they can bully small upstarter clubs.

Division 2 Wrap Up
- In Division 2, Lindfield sealed their ticket up a division with premierships in the top 2 grades. A strong colts program will foster that and they should be comfortable with the move.
- Newport through all there criticism, showed yesterday they just breed talent. If their numbers return, expect them to take some silverware next year, even with Forest and Petersham floating around.
- Meanwhile, Hills will be left to wonder "if only". The high priority of running 3 ex Two Blues first graders in 3rd grade may have won them the Blunt Cup, but their committee must ask if the right decision was made. If Pike, Cox and Tamone were playing 1st grade, there is little doubt in my mind, they would have taken Lindfield to the precipice at around 4.30pm yesterday.
- Briars can be proud of their numbers, although limited wins were had in 2023. Always a good club culture, but there top grades would not even contend in Division 3 at the moment. They should move down next year.
- Epping are a mixed bag, and the only side who could lose by 50 one week, before winning the next week, highlighting some depth concerns. There 2nd grade appears a problem, going winless in 2023. I am unsure of the intricacies of their colts program, so they will need to bring that program through to remain competitive.
- Valley are the big losers of 2023. An ageing club with limited coaching and committee, they will be the first club to move down in 2024. They have a long rebuild ahead, which a few years in Division 3 will mask, but bigger problems lie ahead without a complete clean out that begins at the top.
You know how I know this is a shit take...You forgot unsw and iggies.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
The first PT was for a scrum infringement when Oysters were going for a pushover and is given all the time in Shute, Super Rugby and Tests. I had no issue with it. The second was when a Beecroft player cynically shoveled the ball over the dead ball line NRL style as Oysters were chasing a kick. Without the benefit of a replay I couldn't say whether the Oysters guy would have scored but the ref did confer with the AR so I'm happy to let it stand. Probably deserved just for the sheer idiocy of the Beecroft player. I've never seen that before. Can't comment on the final try as I wasn't on the field, but I'd take the refs view, who is the sole arbiter anyway, next to the ruck rather than an AR some 20-30m away.

Anyway it was a cracking game and one team was always going to be disappointed.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Probably deserved just for the sheer idiocy of the Beecroft player. I've never seen that before

As a club that has had a few Rugby league players over the years, I've definitely seen it. They don't have penalties for that

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
You know how I know this is a shit take...You forgot unsw and iggies.
UNSW is the interesting one, an incredibly strong club across the board but they keep running into clubs on a roll- Lindfield, Newport, Hunters, Forest etc and whilst they have been in the picture there trophy cabinet has been empty with the exception of Richardson cup triumphs. They’ve been incredibly unlucky not to win more premierships over the last few years. Let’s hope this group doesn’t miss its window.

Iggies have had a tough few years and with there traditional strong colts group no longer coming through there numbers have dropped off. They may benefit from a stint in the lower divisions to rebuild.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Iggies have had a tough few years and with there traditional strong colts group no longer coming through there numbers have dropped off. They may benefit from a stint in the lower divisions to rebuild.

Will be interesting to watch, as they were down to a single Grade by the end.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
UNSW is the interesting one, an incredibly strong club across the board but they keep running into clubs on a roll- Lindfield, Newport, Hunters, Forest etc and whilst they have been in the picture there trophy cabinet has been empty with the exception of Richardson cup triumphs. They’ve been incredibly unlucky not to win more premierships over the last few years. Let’s hope this group doesn’t miss its window.

Very good takes on both of these clubs. You know you are in for a day when playing UNSW, but feel like you could be in the contest.
For Iggies, the hope is that they haven’t lost the connection to the school. But being in a similar location, the rugby playing clientele just does not exist. To be fair to Iggies, the area is probably over saturated with clubs, given that Epping, Eastwood, Hunters Hill, Macquarie Uni, Briars, West Harbour and Drummoyne all within a 10km radius.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
DIVISION 4 FINALS WEEK 2

Grose Cup
SF A: Merrylands
v Redfield - Merrylands by 10
Merrylands by 16

SF B: Irish v Rockdale - Rockdale by 15
Rockdale by 9

McLean Cup
SF A: Irish
v Redfield - Irish by 8
Irish by 3. High quality contest. A lot of squeaky bum moments.

SF B: Merrylands v Rockdale - Merrylands by 5.
Merrylands by 20.

Right results but that last margin blew out...

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
I tried to watch the last 15 minutes of the Div 3 GF but Clutch was a joke. Was a massive call from the ref to award the fnal try 20 seconds after the tangle of bodies went over the line.

Happily they did a much better job for Div 2 with the coverage being exceptional and the mobile camera worked a treat in capturing the action and emotion of the players.

Champagne Rugby

Stan Wickham (3)
I'm just going to insert my humble opinion about the controversy's in 1st grade div 3

1st Penalty Try: Scrum infringement whilst Beecroft was going backward - Correct Call

2nd Penalty Try with yellow card pushing/passing the ball dead: yellow card is correct I have never seen a penalty try awarded for this offence, but in my opinion having seen the scrums that day and with one man in the bin a try shortly after would have probably happened - so harsh but dont think it would have changed too much.

2nd yellow card to Beecroft second rower: penalty for kicking the ball forward in the ruck with approximately 5 minutes to go around halfway. Penalty is the correct call and this law whilst new is not that new - not sure why it was a yellow card though when it was a slow ball and not in a danger area.

Final try: Was he held up - End of day you have to go with what the ref sees and if he saw it touch the ground then I assume he did

Ultimate conclusion: Beecroft probably got treated a little harsh however there was no question every penalty awarded was correct and its a painful lesson that rugby can be very technical and not knowing the rules can hurt you.