• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2023!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Happily they did a much better job for Div 2 with the coverage being exceptional and the mobile camera worked a treat in capturing the action and emotion of the players.

Just watching it now - adding the extra cameras gives it a professional feel. Really good.

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
Not surprising Eastcoast has gone quiet after Hunters poor showing over the weekend.
Don’t think they expected to beat Colleagues in 2s but will be filthy they missed out on a spot in the gf going down to a very strong Mountains outfit.

LongTimeListener

Bob McCowan (2)
Div 2 Grand Final day was awesome.

My headlines;

4s Lindfield and UNSW WOW what a way to kick it off. Andrew (President of Lindfield) in his last dance up against Nic Syks (President of UNSW - also one of the best blokes in rugby) up against each other in a CRACKER. Big come from behind win for the Old Soldiers!

3s Hills and Lindfield another ripper with Hills winning b2b premierships! The waratahs showed why they are strong in this grade and hard to compete with a big bustling team with control and character. Great win and well deserved. Little barny at the end made things interesting before the ref blew the whistle.

Colts - Newport and Lindfield wasn't as much niggle as expected. Maybe the two teams were too nervous. Newport held on in the third nail biter of the day. Pretty classic breakers and Lindfield fixture with the big Lindfield pack rolling down the field with the smaller beaches boys showing plenty of courage to hold on at the death. Both team at each other all year and the Breakers should be very proud after losing 3 consecutive games to Lindfield, only to beat them at the big stage.

Players to watch in 2024 = Both 10s for the teams controlled the game well. Lindfield 10 is more of a game manager and kicked well. Newport 10 was electric and ended up with a prized trophy for his efforts. Both ran a little sideways which may impact their rise into grade, however have some potential to be 1s/2s players in 2024 if they can deal with the physicality. Right Winger for Newport Kamara was dangerous at all times. Seen him play grade before in 2022 so this might mean an easier transition (usually is for wingers)

2s - EPIC! This went back and forth all game with UNSW coming home with a wet sail to almost pip the Old Soldiers at the final whistle. Great expansive game with some heat and a few scuffles ending in a sin bin in the last 10 mins of the game, giving the students a sniff. Lindfield closed out a hard fought match to take home their 2nd trophy on GF day.

Player of the Game = IMO it goes to the 10 for UNSW who I believe usually plays 9, however due to the absence of 2022 captain was shifted to 10. Played with heart and courage, nailed a first half kick from the sidelines but missed a couple late. Dangerous and interested to see if he moves into the top grade in 2024.

1s - LINDFIELD DOMINATED! Newport clearly struggled in the forwards and didn't really show much strike in the backs. 15 Garrow managed very well with J Allen boot and the 10 from Lindfield found gaps when they presented themselves. 10 min period before half time decided the game and Newport struggle at set piece time as well as with any clutch moments of possession. Lindfield forward pack did their job and let the Lindfield backline dictate the scoreboard. Unfortunately for the breakers they looked under strength for a big day however will be favourite to take out Div 2 when the cattle come back. Speaking with one of their coaches (don't know his name), they mentioned at one stage having 40 guys missing from their 2022 campaign either injured, retired or in Europe. Lindfield on the other hand likely will head up into Div 1, but the question remains whether they can compete with their existing squad or would need to seriously recruit.

Would love to see the Lindfield 2023 v Newport 2022 guys if both teams come up against each other in a pre season fixture. Given their rivalry, I'd say there would be no love lost..

Tough Season for this division, hopefully it rekindles next year.

If all clubs were to stay the same without mass exodus of travel plans; Newport, UNSW, Forest, Petersham, Epping, Hills, Briars, Hawkesbury Valley! NOW THATS A GREAT COMP with derbies everywhere incl the return of the Manly Daily Shield which I am sure both teams would invest serious game day entertainment budget to rekindle.

Last edited:

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
1s - LINDFIELD DOMINATED! Newport clearly struggled in the forwards and didn't really show much strike in the backs. 15 Garrow managed very well with J Allen boot and the 10 from Lindfield found gaps when they presented themselves. 10 min period before half time decided the game and Newport struggle at set piece time as well as with any clutch moments of possession. Lindfield forward pack did their job and let the Lindfield backline dictate the scoreboard. Unfortunately for the breakers they looked under strength for a big day however will be favourite to take out Div 2 when the cattle come back. Speaking with one of their coaches (don't know his name), they mentioned at one stage having 40 guys missing from their 2022 campaign either injured, retired or in Europe. Lindfield on the other hand likely will head up into Div 1, but the question remains whether they can compete with their existing squad or would need to seriously recruit.

Would love to see the Lindfield 2023 v Newport 2022 guys if both teams come up against each other in a pre season fixture. Given their rivalry, I'd say there would be no love lost..

I think Newport's scrum did way better than expected (except the first one) given it was made up of a couple of 3rd graders and a brave number 8 trying not to have his back broken. Lindfield clearly had the better of play with the wind in the first half & I thought it was a 15 point wind so at
11-0 down with 5 to go we were a chance. On the 35 min mark the ref ruled a knock on (35 min 1st half, take a look on clutch) when we were in under the posts. A halftime 11-7 with the wind in our backs may have been a different story. Those two late first half Lindfield tries killed us as we had all the ball and field position in the 2nd half but it was certainly one of those days where nothing seemed to stick and congratulations to Old Soldier on their win.
P.S I think our last disallowed try was an interesting touchie call from 30m away as I thought 25-12 was a more deserving scoreline given Newports much improved 2nd half.

PPS I work with a guy who said there has been plenty of 2nd grade Old Soldiers retiring after their 2nd or 3rd premiership in a row.

sterlingmortlocksgloves

Allen Oxlade (6)
Players to watch in 2024 = Both 10s for the teams controlled the game well. Lindfield 10 is more of a game manager and kicked well. Newport 10 was electric and ended up with a prized trophy for his efforts. Both ran a little sideways which may impact their rise into grade, however have some potential to be 1s/2s players in 2024 if they can deal with the physicality.
Agreed, the lindfield colts 10 could do some serious damage over the next few years. Rumours are he’s heading over to the UK during the Aussie off season to hone his skills. Northern Hemisphere footy suits this young lad from what I’ve seen and I expect he’ll add some new weapons to his arsenal.

LongTimeListener

Bob McCowan (2)
Agreed, the lindfield colts 10 could do some serious damage over the next few years. Rumours are he’s heading over to the UK during the Aussie off season to hone his skills. Northern Hemisphere footy suits this young lad from what I’ve seen and I expect he’ll add some new weapons to his arsenal.
May not come back..
I think Newport's scrum did way better than expected (except the first one) given it was made up of a couple of 3rd graders and a brave number 8 trying not to have his back broken. Lindfield clearly had the better of play with the wind in the first half & I thought it was a 15 point wind so at
11-0 down with 5 to go we were a chance. On the 35 min mark the ref ruled a knock on (35 min 1st half, take a look on clutch) when we were in under the posts. A halftime 11-7 with the wind in our backs may have been a different story. Those two late first half Lindfield tries killed us as we had all the ball and field position in the 2nd half but it was certainly one of those days where nothing seemed to stick and congratulations to Old Soldier on their win.
P.S I think our last disallowed try was an interesting touchie call from 30m away as I thought 25-12 was a more deserving scoreline given Newports much improved 2nd half.

PPS I work with a guy who said there has been plenty of 2nd grade Old Soldiers retiring after their 2nd or 3rd premiership in a row.
They absolutely threw everything at it. Just tough for blokes to jump up the grades and get good ball against what is usually a good 1s scrum anyway.

21mm

Frank Nicholson (4)
Cowboy Cup -

Points have been updated with Lindfield on 3719

Can Colleagues challenge with their remaining games?

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)

I’m sure Lindfield will push players not coming back as a reason not to go up. But important to remember that they’ve got a very strong colts group coming through. Only 2 losses in 2 years means they’ve got a lot of depth coming through.
One of the reasons we know Newport will rebound next year due to there great junior/colt player group coming through.

Let it sing

Stan Wickham (3)
I’m sure Lindfield will push players not coming back as a reason not to go up. But important to remember that they’ve got a very strong colts group coming through. Only 2 losses in 2 years means they’ve got a lot of depth coming through.
One of the reasons we know Newport will rebound next year due to their great junior/colt player group coming through.
I spoke with a number of senior Lindfield members on Saturday and was it was unanimous the desire to head up to Div 1

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
I spoke with a number of senior Lindfield members on Saturday and was it was unanimous the desire to head up to Div 1
Good to hear they are a powerhouse at the moment.They’ve close to one of the strongest years of a club looking to go up in recent memory. There players numbers are huge. If they can’t make the jump to Div 1 after there success this year then Subbies need to look at how the model works as I can’t see any other club making that jump

sterlingmortlocksgloves

Allen Oxlade (6)
My opinion is clubs shouldn’t decide their own fate as to being moved up or down divisions. If you win you go up, if you lose you go down and rebuild. You’ve got a club that built on an impressive 2 premierships in 2022 (2nd grade & colts) and a narrow loss in the club championship to Newport. To contesting in all Div 2 grand finals, winning 1st Grade, 2nd Grade, 4th Grade and Halligans. To think that the club officials at Lindfield wouldn’t be pushing for anything but promotion to Div 1 is beyond me.

Oldsoldier

Stan Wickham (3)
One of the reasons we know Newport will rebound next year due to there great junior/colt player group coming through.
?

The Wombat

Herbert Moran (7)
My opinion is clubs shouldn’t decide their own fate as to being moved up or down divisions. If you win you go up, if you lose you go down and rebuild. You’ve got a club that built on an impressive 2 premierships in 2022 (2nd grade & colts) and a narrow loss in the club championship to Newport. To contesting in all Div 2 grand finals, winning 1st Grade, 2nd Grade, 4th Grade and Halligans. To think that the club officials at Lindfield wouldn’t be pushing for anything but promotion to Div 1 is beyond me.
The counter argument is Drummoyne. Were supposed to be relegated but knew they just had a down year and were confident in the upcoming season which proved to be true.
Of course that relies on clubs giving an honest assessment. For the last few years it was clear that Knox needed to leave Div 1 but they fooled themselves and hung around, escaping relegation through cancelled seasons and other clubs falling apart worse than them (Balmain.)

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Not surprising Eastcoast has gone quiet after Hunters poor showing over the weekend.
Don’t think they expected to beat Colleagues in 2s but will be filthy they missed out on a spot in the gf going down to a very strong Mountains outfit.
Sorry Ive been off the grid for the past week.

Not sure about poor showing, I think Blueys are a very good squad. Great players across the park and any time you think you are getting back into the game, they just change the momentum.
When you have the skill they have at 2, 7, 9 and 10. As well as the outside backs strike power, they will be tough to take down.
I see alot of issues with Hills having their Shute Shield Players in 3rd grade. Blueys have their ex shute players absolutely killing it in 1's.

Tough test this week against Waverley. Ill do a preview tomorrow

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Just to catch up on Div 3 GF. I went back and saw how terrible cluch was.
But to say the referee was the issue is a bit of a stretch.

Beecroft can only blame themselves. 3 minutes to go and you have a ruck 40m out from the line and you walk around the otherside of the ruck and kick the ball out? While you have 14 people as well? Then anytime Beecroft had the ball in the last 5 minutes they just kicked it straight down the middle of the field back to Oysters?
The 13 looked like he scored on that last play as soon as he got over the line before all the bodies jumped in.

I didnt believe in the Oysters hype to start the year - but they proved me wrong. Another division won and done.