• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2023!

21mm

Frank Nicholson (4)
Div 1 - Grand Final Preview

Kentwell. HH vs Blue Mountains. This is the big one people. I think this could be the best Kentwell Grand final in the last decade. The pain of losing last year will spur on HH here. Great win last week against a very strong Waverley outfit. Alot of mistakes gave Blueys a headstart in the Major Semi and its hard to chase a game which led to the score blowing out slightly at the end. That wont be happening again. Blue Mountains have some great players across the park and a very good year with recruitment of talent in all the right positions. A strong Blue Mountains means a strong competition. Back with your heart and your head. Facta Non Verba. HH 33-31

Burke. Colleagues vs Drummoyne. Colleagues are a very clinical side. Losing only the first round game of the year. They have won close games, they have blown out teams by 50. Seems like they can do it all. Drummoyne are much improved from where they were last year. Strong recruitment, X factor all over the park. Seem like a well coached and well drilled team this year. Colleagues to keep Drummoyne at an arms distance for most of the game. Colleagues 28-20

Barbour. Forest vs Colleagues. Straight sets St Pats had this cup in the clubhouse a month ago. Forest and Colleagues have two very good young squads. This game will be entertaining. Colleagues played their Grand final last week. Ill give the boys from Melwood a win here in a high scoring affair. Forest 35-28

Whiddon. Waverley vs Colleagues. Waverley have a great third grade squad. Alot of talent in this team and strike across the park. Colleagues are a well drilled team. I think Waverley get the chocolates after losing the first two games of the day. Let the boys get back on the bus around Midday and celebrating at Bondi by mid afternoon. Waverley 24-21

Judd. Mosman vs Waverley. Mosman will again prove too strong in this 4's contest. Waverley have a really good group of players in the lower grades, although I hjave heard a few outs in 3's have weakened their 4's side slightly. Waverley will need everything to go right to upset the Mosman lower grades juggernaut. Mosman 22-12

Sutherland. Mosman vs Waverley. Mosman lost by 1 in the Major Semi with 2 in the bin and playing the better football. I dont see them making the same mistake twice. Should name this the Mosman cup given their stranglehold over this grade for the past 6 years. Not the same team as last year and I understand alot of those players are playing Judd where they are the standard of Burke or higher. Waverley always strong and will keep this close. I see a low scoring affair. Mosman 12-10

Great analysis. Kentwell shaping to be a cracker of a match. Hopefully early nerves are shaken off and we get to see some expansive Rugby.

Hope there are no major injuries or sideline punch ons. I wonder if we will see some added security for these fixtures.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Great analysis. Kentwell shaping to be a cracker of a match. Hopefully early nerves are shaken off and we get to see some expansive Rugby.

Hope there are no major injuries or sideline punch ons. I wonder if we will see some added security for these fixtures.

Has anyone heard anything from SRU about an investigation and punishment for the after game brawl? Looks like it has been swept under the carpet as Shute Shield clubs are clearly beyond reproach. As a work colleague said, if that was a football game it would of been front page of the telegraph.

21mm

Frank Nicholson (4)
Has anyone heard anything from SRU about an investigation and punishment for the after game brawl? Looks like it has been swept under the carpet as Shute Shield clubs are clearly beyond reproach. As a work colleague said, if that was a football game it would of been front page of the telegraph.

I found the whole incident rather odd.

all very clear who started and what was happening, but was no mention from commentary, or officials rushing in. Those not involved in the melee were all extremely nonplus about what was happening.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
I found the whole incident rather odd.

all very clear who started and what was happening, but was no mention from commentary, or officials rushing in. Those not involved in the melee were all extremely nonplus about what was happening.
Wouldnt want to upset anyone in the Eastern Suburbs. If it was a Two Blues or West Harbour supporter, I reckon there would be immediate action.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

Tried asking in the Shute Shield thread?

footy_footy

Chris McKivat (8)
Are these sorts of incidents prevalent in Subbies? There is no shortage of pissed idiots around the grounds on any given Saturday and that is only magnified come Grand Final day so it can be a powder keg.

I know there was a blue at TG Milner a few years ago during a Kentwell GF involving Drummoyne and possibly Balmain but otherwise none spring to mind.

KentwellCup>ShuteShield

Bill Watson (15)
Kentwell. HH vs Blue Mountains - Huge game. The old heavy weight of hunters hill vs the mountain men. While HH are consistent and play smart football. I think Hunters will not be able to counter Blue Mountains X-Factor. I think the goaties will take this one out due to their superior strike power .

HH 10 - BM 24

Burke. Colleagues vs Drummoyne. Even with Drummoyne 1st Grade ring-ins in the twos, and after their game with HH last weekend (a game played to quite a high standard). The Magnificent Men from Colleagues will take this one out. Colleagues will be too clinical and consistent with their play tomorrow and will not let Drummoyne let up and will punish them severly if they do. Woollahra will simply just want it more.

DR 17 - WC 21

Barbour. Colleagues vs Forest. Colleagues abosulute ambush of the St Pats last week will instill confidence within thier team, but forest will not lets up. With the score over the season 1-1, coupled with the fact thats Forest plays with league style tactics means for me, that the Blue Giants will take this one out. Colleagues set piece, forwards and slick backs will be to much for the boys from the inner northern beaches. I just think that 29-nil against Pats the previous undefeated says all you need to know about this match-up.

Forest 10 - WC 27.

Whiddon. Colleagues vs Waverley. The Bondi boys ever strong in the lower grades of Div 1, will think of themselves favourites for this match. But the boys in baby blue love a challenge and never back down as underdogs. I think colleagues will go two better than last year and beat the backpackers this time after previously in 2022 holding them only 5 points (the only team to hold them to under bonus point in 2022).

WC 12 - 5.

Judd. Mosman vs Waverley. Mosman will want to avenge a somewhat dissapointing season for their standards and will want to finish off 2023 will another premiership. While Waverley are strong and physical. Mosman will have too much class and composure to let them win.

MS 17 v WV 10

Best of luck tomorrow!

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
Good to see Subbies embracing something different and going with a night game for the Sutherland rather than a ridiculously early kick off or a different ground. Would be great to see more of this type of initiative.
Why not go with a double header last night with the Judd as well or the Kentwell under lights.

SticksXI

Bob McCowan (2)
If waverly manage to hold on to this in Judd, they can count themselves lucky for their #12 not being sent off about 2 minutes before he scored the go ahead try

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
If waverly manage to hold on to this in Judd, they can count themselves lucky for their #12 not being sent off about 2 minutes before he scored the go ahead try
At the 1:04 mark of the game. Definitely throws his hands, not sure if it was good enough for a punch

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Jeez what a game. Blueys out of the gates early with their big forwards looking dominant. Hunters unable to stem the tide in the first quarter but from there it was all about fitness and discipline.

A couple of handling errors the difference IMHO, giving Mountains field position and territory at key moments.

Last edited:

Waterloo_Ned

Herbert Moran (7)
A couple of handling errors the difference IMHO, giving Mountains field position and territory at key moments.

They were also piggybacked by Tom Chadwick (who we have all had problems with before). Look at the bomb that Parfitt drops in the first half, all chasers are off side and don't retreat which affects the drop. Mountains score next phase. Etc etc

But, congratulations to Blue Mountains though. They lead the field all year and never took the foot off. It is one hell of a feat and gives us mid carders running around Div 2-4 hope that anything is possible for the next few years, and that this competition is not just made for the winers and diners of the elite clubs.

I watched a few games today. Div 2, 2nd Grade is one hell of a standard. Either of those teams Drummoyne or Colleagues would put through the cleaners any 2nd grade side in Div 3 or 4 that I have seen. Drummoyne with a huge mistake not to take the points right in front at 18-15 down.