• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Subbies 2023!

The Wombat

Chris McKivat (8)
I just don't understand why they would do it. What's in it for them to play some games in lower grades at Souths, and then to go play 1st Grade all the way out at Lapstone?
To play with mates at both clubs. Also, to get a run of rugby every weekend. Div 1 had a terrible schedule this year with weird byes + the wet weather weekends not being used

The Waverley Walrus

Bob McCowan (2)
I just don't understand why they would do it. What's in it for them to play some games in lower grades at Souths, and then to go play 1st Grade all the way out at Lapstone?
I’m sure Blue Mountains reimbursed them for “fuel money” like the other team members from St Mary’s who would have given up their $400 match payments in the Ron Massey cup to play with their mates. Good on them I say!

TheBigArvo

Ted Fahey (11)
Hearing that Subbies are wasting little time getting their affairs in order for 2024 and want to have Divisions 1-3 sorted ASAP with 8 clubs respectively.

Credit to them for getting on to it early but I'm very curious to see where everyone ends up and how it will be received!
Good luck to them finding 24 teams to fill those 3 Divisions of 8 teams as I see it there’s only 21 viable sides based off this year.
Not to mention what clubs say at this stage of the season could be completely different come pre season next year even if they do have hopes of that number of teams/player quality.
Don’t get me wrong I’d love to see them sort it out early and get a draw out so we can talk about footy rather than whose in what divisions but don’t see it being very practical.
Good luck Subbies!

Eastcoast

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Hearing that Subbies are wasting little time getting their affairs in order for 2024 and want to have Divisions 1-3 sorted ASAP with 8 clubs respectively.

Credit to them for getting on to it early but I'm very curious to see where everyone ends up and how it will be received!
Subbies thoughts - Lets just make an 8 team comp and disregard whether teams can fulfil each grade. Instead of ensuring the teams with the numbers are able to get game time week in week out. Because 8 x 8 x 8 looks pretty.

HogansHeros

Bob Loudon (25)
Good luck to them finding 24 teams to fill those 3 Divisions of 8 teams as I see it there’s only 21 viable sides based off this year.
Not to mention what clubs say at this stage of the season could be completely different come pre season next year even if they do have hopes of that number of teams/player quality.
Don’t get me wrong I’d love to see them sort it out early and get a draw out so we can talk about footy rather than whose in what divisions but don’t see it being very practical.
Good luck Subbies!
Unless div 3 runs 2 grades and no colts.
Or 3 grades no colts plus some weird Shute Shield team agreements

Heavyd

Arch Winning (36)
Rumours are that Subbies are telling clubs Lindfield are going up while Mosman and Petersham will come down

I for one welcome our new Div 2 overlords. Both clubs have enjoyed some great rivalry with the Breakers over the years and we look forward to welcoming them back to Porters and I know the boys will like a close away game to the Whales and the Petersham bowlo is always a great away bus trip session.

TheBigArvo

Ted Fahey (11)
I for one welcome our new Div 2 overlords. Both clubs have enjoyed some great rivalry with the Breakers over the years and we look forward to welcoming them back to Porters and I know the boys will like a close away game to the Whales and the Petersham bowlo is always a great away bus trip session.
I thought Newport was going to Div 1 next year?

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Subbies thoughts - Lets just make an 8 team comp and disregard whether teams can fulfil each grade. Instead of ensuring the teams with the numbers are able to get game time week in week out. Because 8 x 8 x 8 looks pretty.

I'd normally take the time to say I'm looking forward to your Board nomination this year, but I don't think the barking mad support for Hunters Hill would jive well TBH. And some with Hunters Hill would agree with me...

Last edited:

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Agree will be tough but credit to them to get after it now and find out.

Cheers.

Speaking as a Board member: we did pretty much the same exercise last year, but it was a bit later in the year because there was no RWC to get in the way ;)

We have to weigh carefully the statements we hear directly against what we've observed. It isn't an exact science and there is probably no solution that fits every single club perfectly. Nor do we think that we're going to arrive at an outcome that everyone is 100% happy with.

If you want to make friends, sell ice cream :)

At the point where the Board makes a decision, it is done with the greater good in mind. We're not trying to persecute anyone or have any agenda past that. There are certain guidelines we're using - 8x8x8 being an example - and we're doing our best to get it right.

We also don't think we're perfect, so to those on here who believe they fall into that category: get out from behind that keyboard and apply now! No experience required :)

Rigby

Frank Row (1)
2024 game plan
Lindfield up
Petersham and Forest down
Mosman sneak through to stay in div 1 on the fact they finished higher than Forest in all grades bar colts and their ability to field 6 grades
Get a proper Sutherland and Richardson cups going again rather than some last minute throw together finals series
My logic is undeniable and subbies to offer me a board position for my incredible wisdom