• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2023!

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Throwing a big idea out here.

Green and Gold Rugby Forum to sponsor a NSW Community Cup for Subbies Clubs from Sydney, Newcastle and Central Coast to compete in a pre-season or mid season FA Cup Style Competition. Sponsors to put together a prize money and clubs get rewards for how deep they go into the competiton. From this competition, we pick rep teams to compete in a post season round robin to go up against QLD teams..

NSW Community Cup Knockout

* Clubs from all subbies to be included. Overtime introduce teams from Southern Highlands upwards.
* Have thrown in Newcastle and CC teams based on nothing, seeding would have to be thought through
* Gives clubs incentives in lower division to qualify for "The Cup"
* Brings new sponsors and potential income for clubs competing.
* Cup organisers to be open and honest about ALL income, acting as a true Non for Profit and sharing all proceeds back to clubs to cover the cost of season
* Organisers to be club members only with a small leadership team to drive participation, draws etc. from NSW Rugby
* Build systematic qualification within all divisions eg. All Subbies 1,2,3 clubs qualify however maybe top 4 from other competition etc.
* Clubs don't have squad restrictions so Div 1 teams might blood 2nd graders or colts in earlier stages to build depth in squads
* Players must have signed up for remainder of season to be eligible to play Cup fixtures

View attachment 17432
@Pfitzy - How you feel about a 2nd round Match up against a big Drummoyne side?

Rough for Iggies/Wakehurst who would probably be dusted by 50 in Div 2 to have to play Mountains who could rack up the Century

Wouldnt mind getting hands onto Oysters in round 2 though!

Love the energy about this post

Never Was Been

Bob McCowan (2)
I agree, I don’t think there’s an issue if theyre just playing lower grades for the prem teams.
I just don't understand why they would do it. What's in it for them to play some games in lower grades at Souths, and then to go play 1st Grade all the way out at Lapstone?

The Wombat

Herbert Moran (7)
I just don't understand why they would do it. What's in it for them to play some games in lower grades at Souths, and then to go play 1st Grade all the way out at Lapstone?
To play with mates at both clubs. Also, to get a run of rugby every weekend. Div 1 had a terrible schedule this year with weird byes + the wet weather weekends not being used

The Waverley Walrus

Bob McCowan (2)
I’m sure Blue Mountains reimbursed them for “fuel money” like the other team members from St Mary’s who would have given up their $400 match payments in the Ron Massey cup to play with their mates. Good on them I say!

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
Hearing that Subbies are wasting little time getting their affairs in order for 2024 and want to have Divisions 1-3 sorted ASAP with 8 clubs respectively.

Credit to them for getting on to it early but I'm very curious to see where everyone ends up and how it will be received!
Good luck to them finding 24 teams to fill those 3 Divisions of 8 teams as I see it there’s only 21 viable sides based off this year.
Not to mention what clubs say at this stage of the season could be completely different come pre season next year even if they do have hopes of that number of teams/player quality.
Don’t get me wrong I’d love to see them sort it out early and get a draw out so we can talk about footy rather than whose in what divisions but don’t see it being very practical.
Good luck Subbies!

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Hearing that Subbies are wasting little time getting their affairs in order for 2024 and want to have Divisions 1-3 sorted ASAP with 8 clubs respectively.

Credit to them for getting on to it early but I'm very curious to see where everyone ends up and how it will be received!
Subbies thoughts - Lets just make an 8 team comp and disregard whether teams can fulfil each grade. Instead of ensuring the teams with the numbers are able to get game time week in week out. Because 8 x 8 x 8 looks pretty.

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
Good luck to them finding 24 teams to fill those 3 Divisions of 8 teams as I see it there’s only 21 viable sides based off this year.
Not to mention what clubs say at this stage of the season could be completely different come pre season next year even if they do have hopes of that number of teams/player quality.
Don’t get me wrong I’d love to see them sort it out early and get a draw out so we can talk about footy rather than whose in what divisions but don’t see it being very practical.
Good luck Subbies!
Unless div 3 runs 2 grades and no colts.
Or 3 grades no colts plus some weird Shute Shield team agreements

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Rumours are that Subbies are telling clubs Lindfield are going up while Mosman and Petersham will come down

I for one welcome our new Div 2 overlords. Both clubs have enjoyed some great rivalry with the Breakers over the years and we look forward to welcoming them back to Porters and I know the boys will like a close away game to the Whales and the Petersham bowlo is always a great away bus trip session.

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
I for one welcome our new Div 2 overlords. Both clubs have enjoyed some great rivalry with the Breakers over the years and we look forward to welcoming them back to Porters and I know the boys will like a close away game to the Whales and the Petersham bowlo is always a great away bus trip session.
I thought Newport was going to Div 1 next year?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Subbies thoughts - Lets just make an 8 team comp and disregard whether teams can fulfil each grade. Instead of ensuring the teams with the numbers are able to get game time week in week out. Because 8 x 8 x 8 looks pretty.

I'd normally take the time to say I'm looking forward to your Board nomination this year, but I don't think the barking mad support for Hunters Hill would jive well TBH. And some with Hunters Hill would agree with me...

Last edited: