• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2023!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Re: Judiciary - first thing to note is that zoom was introduced during the Covid era as a measure to solve the concerns around spacing etc.

Speaking as a Club Secretary: I agree there are difficulties with getting into Daceyville. Having had to do it a couple of times this year, it can be hard to organise, particularly where players work night shifts. I know we're not the only club in this boat and we've noted our issues with it.

The basic line of thought is that some were not treating the situation with the gravity it deserved in the comfort of an internet forum.

Like keyboard warriors, but they have to show their ID first :)

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Re: Judiciary - first thing to note is that zoom was introduced during the Covid era as a measure to solve the concerns around spacing etc.

Speaking as a Club Secretary: I agree there are difficulties with getting into Daceyville. Having had to do it a couple of times this year, it can be hard to organise, particularly where players work night shifts. I know we're not the only club in this boat and we've noted our issues with it.

The basic line of thought is that some were not treating the situation with the gravity it deserved in the comfort of an internet forum.

Do people really take it any more serious in person? Anyone not taking it seriously online doesn’t give a shit sitting their either.

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)

Understand the issue around people not taking it seriously and doing it on there phones whilst at training etc. But as a club in Western Sydney Pfitzy your volunteers are looking at an hour drive each way plus tolls and fuel etc. for a hearing that may take 15 mins on weeknight after working all day and taking other nights out for training etc.

If we want to do it in person maybe we need to look at doing some weeks elsewhere to make it easier for the Western clubs. Maybe Concord, TG or Eric Tweedle? Surely there is a spare room?

For me the question should always be how can we reduce the load on the club volunteers and also the people who volunteer to be in roles like the Judiciary or board members.

Moneyinc

Bob McCowan (2)

Mate.. it is an absolute headache.

Fine if you are from Colleagues, UNSW and so forth, but for clubs with players based in Western Sydney it's a logistical nightmare. We had one player cited over a pretty contentious incident against Lindfield mid season. However, he works out of Sydney during the week and couldn't attend daceyville, and as a result, he had to sit out the rest of the season.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
But as a club in Western Sydney Pfitzy your volunteers are looking at an hour drive each way plus tolls and fuel etc. for a hearing that may take 15 mins on weeknight after working all day and taking other nights out for training etc.

Yep absolutely. I'm fortunate enough to work from home... every day EXCEPT Wednesday! The office is local so I still have to make the trek. I get the issues as much as anyone.

I like the idea of having judiciary in locations other than Daceyville. Just need to make sure the logistics work in terms of paperwork and support staff from Subbies etc

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Fine if you are from Colleagues, UNSW and so forth

I've met players from a variety of eastern suburbs clubs who live around the corner from me. So it isn't just about club location. We have guys from Mosman to Penrith - and that's just 2 grades!

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Mate.. it is an absolute headache.

Fine if you are from Colleagues, UNSW and so forth, but for clubs with players based in Western Sydney it's a logistical nightmare. We had one player cited over a pretty contentious incident against Lindfield mid season. However, he works out of Sydney during the week and couldn't attend daceyville, and as a result, he had to sit out the rest of the season.
That’s absurd.

Online is part of business in every part of the world and industry.

If you suspect someone is taking the piss, any penalty should reflect this.

Moneyinc

Bob McCowan (2)
Spoke to a mate who's been at Hills last few years (hope he sees the light soon). Announced at their presentation night, head coach and a couple other coaches moving on. A stack of their 3s squad pulling up stumps. Sounds like plans already well in advance for 2024 though.

Does this mean Jeremy Lawlor is available?

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Didnt Lindfield only lose like 5 games all season across every grade? Yet they still felt the need to cite someone?

Not sure how that is relevant. If someone is engaging in poor conduct, they should be cited if it meets the threshold.

Let's keep in mind that many clubs - including your own - have had incidents requiring a trip to the Judiciary.

It doesn't necessarily make them good or bad clubs, regardless of their level of success. It is all about how they deal with it.

Bismarck12345

Stan Wickham (3)
Re integrity - didn't a lindfield player get cited for a semi final tackle and receive a red at their hearing but no ban? Is an unusual outcome

Let it sing

Stan Wickham (3)
Re integrity - didn't a lindfield player get cited for a semi final tackle and receive a red at their hearing but no ban? Is an unusual outcome
Interested to understand what a judiciary decision has to do with the integrity of Lindfield or any club.

For what it’s worth Lindfield copped a very heavy penalty for an error of judgement by a senior member of the club in 2016 and moved on and rebuilt.

Nothing to be gained from throwing stones at other clubs but would say with little doubt that brown paper bags certainly still doing the rounds at some clubs