• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2023!

oldmate11

Herbert Moran (7)
B28D4D1C-EEAD-4702-A774-040CF5254668.png

Some changes to the subbies website. Looks like a 6 team div 2 season, doubt anyone else wanted to go up.

Denistone_Dennis

Chris McKivat (8)
Beecroft and Harlequins to come out of this looking like donkeys, likely to have spare grade/colts teams with no comp to play in.

And no, for a lot of players halligans isn't a comp worth playing in.

oldmate11

Herbert Moran (7)
Beecroft and Harlequins to come out of this looking like donkeys, likely to have spare grade/colts teams with no comp to play in.

Agreed. Respect to Briars for having a crack I believe they’re in a milestone year so hopefully they have some success against a division of strong clubs.

En Gage

Frank Nicholson (4)
Agreed. Respect to Briars for having a crack I believe they’re in a milestone year so hopefully they have some success against a division of strong clubs.
John Singleton is a long time member and benefactor of Briars sporting club. If it's a milestone year he might be throwing something their way.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Briars also got a couple of coaches from Randwick and are trying a few things to ensure they stay strong in Div 2.

I think for them it comes down to ensuring everyone there gets a game; looking at the clubs from last year likely to end up in Div 3, Thirds is a question mark for some.

Halligan chat will be busy again this year.

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)

Or maybe a smart decision as they wont have players backing up for 3 or 4 grades towards the end of the season when everyone is in europe on holidays or injured so they can stay competitive... just a thought

The Wombat

Herbert Moran (7)
The Div 1 draw is strange. Mosman have two byes in the first half of the season and then the 4 teams they only play once are the last 4 games of the season. It’s going to be hard to tell where teams truly sit until the final rounds.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Great news for the Epping Rams

Well done for taking on the challenge - and thanks from this Board member for helping make the picture clearer.

Some strong opposition there though I reckon you guys will benefit from being at the same location instead of all over Sydney.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Well done for taking on the challenge - and thanks from this Board member for helping make the picture clearer.

Some strong opposition there though I reckon you guys will benefit from being at the same location instead of all over Sydney.
Well done to Epping from this close Neighbour. Although not sure Richmond, Newport and Kensington are much closer to our little LGA

oldmate11

Herbert Moran (7)
Seeing as we have some divisions set here’s my way too early season predictions for division 2 and 3 this year

Division 2

Barraclough Cup
Winner: UNSW
Runner up: Newport

UNSW were building nicely in the back end of last year, if they can retain their mid-season acquisitions for the full year I can see them going all the way.

Stockdale Cup
Winner: Lindfield
Runner up: UNSW

The grand finalists from last year to meet again for the same result. Imagine a double undefeated season from Lindfield.

Robertson Cup
Winner: Lindfield
Runners up: Newport

These two clubs will probably cruise to the final, if Lindfield has that ruthless forward pack from last year, they’ll win.

Blunt Cup
Winner: Newport
Runners up: Lindfield

Newport will be on a mission after throwing away the premiership last year.

Richardson cup - Lindfield to win the two horse race lol

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Whats the lesson?

Come home carrying your shield, or on it? ;)

I think there is a bit of merit in what is being said: clubs need to communicate to their players that it isn't all about winning. While trophies are nice, that isn't the reason we play, and the longer a group sticks together, the better it gets.

On the flipside that's a little hard to take when numbers are shrinking and the gap between haves and have-nots is widening

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
Don’t sit in your comfort zone clearly
Be comfortable to challenge yourself and step up
How have we learned that? If Epping have a successful year we will have learned that... currently all we have learned is Epping thinks they have the numbers for Div 2.

We might learn that they were over confident, got destroyed each week and be another subbies club relying on clubmen to play 4 games each
saturday to keep them alive.

Last edited:

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
Come home carrying your shield, or on it? ;)

I think there is a bit of merit in what is being said: clubs need to communicate to their players that it isn't all about winning. While trophies are nice, that isn't the reason we play, and the longer a group sticks together, the better it gets.

On the flipside that's a little hard to take when numbers are shrinking and the gap between haves and have-nots is widening

Unfortunately it is much harder to retain players, esspecially younger players when you arent winning. As much as it "isnt all about winning" we know that winning is fun and losing usually isnt. Winning clubs are strong clubs.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Unfortunately it is much harder to retain players, esspecially younger players when you arent winning. As much as it "isnt all about winning" we know that winning is fun and losing usually isnt. Winning clubs are strong clubs.

You're right. I'm old.