• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2023!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Why can’t we all just be friends????

My theory:

1678943326378.png

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
For all Divs?

According to the draws thus far published, no

Div 1 = 15th April
Div 2 = 1st April
Div 3 = 1st April
This info is fresh via SMS yesterday:
Div 4 = 15th April
Div 5 = 15th April

I assume it is due to the differences in structure - 10 clubs in Division Four is probably a full round (9 games) and then 5 opponents a second time around. By the look of the ground availability sheet I filled in it looks like a 2-week finals series, which probably means 1 v 4 and 2 v 3. Just like the old days of Super Rugby

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
What’s the go with HAC and Menai? Think they’re the only clubs unaccounted from last year.

Both have folded. Second time Menai have stepped away after a successful year, and you'd think their readmission would require a few conditions around it.

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
According to the draws thus far published, no

Div 1 = 15th April
Div 2 = 1st April
Div 3 = 1st April
This info is fresh via SMS yesterday:
Div 4 = 15th April
Div 5 = 15th April

I assume it is due to the differences in structure - 10 clubs in Division Four is probably a full round (9 games) and then 5 opponents a second time around. By the look of the ground availability sheet I filled in it looks like a 2-week finals series, which probably means 1 v 4 and 2 v 3. Just like the old days of Super Rugby
Good to see Subbies have gone with the block buster Grabd Final rematch in Div 3 for Rd 1. I think both Savers and Oysters will be challenging for the title this year.

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
Good to see Subbies have gone with the block buster Grabd Final rematch in Div 3 for Rd 1. I think both Savers and Oysters will be challenging for the title this year.
With only 2 grades in Div 3 this year i think there will be some quality footy played.

Div 2 similarly

oldmate11

Herbert Moran (7)
Division 3 Season Preview

The best division in rugby returns this year with new and old faces looking for success this season. No third grade is a shame however it is good to see colts remain in strong numbers.

Clark Cup

The contenders:

Sydney Harbour - Going undefeated last year in div 4 has to leave the Oysters at odds on favourites here. They'll suffer some losses this year and only the one grade can leave them in a tough spot as they lose players to injury and travel throughout the year. In saying that, I'd be surprised if they weren't in the big dance.

Manly Savers - A club that's building very nicely and should have a good amount of on field success in this division, were very strong in division 4 last year like Sydney Harbour. They'll also be helped by the less travel required in div 3 this year.

BOBS - Barker were pretty competitive in a tough division 2 last year. Reaching a qualifying final is nothing to sneeze at and they'll be aiming to improve on that success in a lower division.

The Maybes:

Beecroft - Had a much improved second half of the year with some big wins against fellow div 3 clubs Harlequins and Iggies which will inspire confidence. Another strong colts outfit joining the grade sides will also do them good. Club to watch if they start going on a run.

Knox - They are definitely a big question mark this year after dropping down from division 1 not really sure what to make of them. My prediction, they'll jag wins here and there but ultimately will still be rebuilding this year.

The Pretenders:

Sydney Harlequins - The quins 1st grade sides in recent years haven't been too impressive so I'm expecting more of the same here despite coming from division 2. Can't really see them in the top 4 unfortunately.

Old Ignatians - Iggies are a casualty of the division 2 comp last year and are looking like a club in rebuild after a dismal year. If numbers are similar to last year, they'll be in for a long season.

Farrant Cup

The Contenders:

Sydney Harbour - AKA Eastern Suburbs 5ths will probably do well here, looking at last years results for all clubs I can't really see anyone running away with the comp this year. Being div 4 grand finalists they'll be firmly in the mix

Sydney Harlequins - Reached the finals in div 2 last year so they should be in a strong position in 2nd grade here, should make finals easily.

Manly Savers - Much of the same for the Savers who have good numbers in this grade.

Beecroft - Were only a couple games off div 2 finals last year and have strong numbers this year, they'll be up there.

The Pretenders:

BOBS - Struggled for numbers last year so I could see this side falling off a cliff as the season goes on if nothing changes.

Knox - Barely fielded a 2nd grade for most of last year, can't see them doing much

Old Ignatians - Will probably suffer from a lack of numbers, can't see them doing much either.

Nicholson Cup

The Contenders:

Eastern Suburbs and Manly - I'll put them both here, both clubs will be sending colts here this season and will most likely do well. I hope that in the future div 3 colts doesn't become premier clubs sending extra sides for half the comp.

Knox - The only side that did anything for them last year and were agonisingly close from a div 1 grand final! My only question mark is last years side look like they've graduated colts so it will be interesting to see if they've been replaced effectively.

Beecroft - Did the club proud in div 2 last year only being beaten by an extremely strong Lindfield outfit in the semi final. They do have quite a few players to replace in key positions though.

The Maybes:

Sydney Harbour - Looks at this stage the oysters may be fielding a colts side? Will be interesting to see how they stack up compared to their grade side if that is the case.

The Pretenders:

BOBS - Were pretty average in div 2 last year, can't see them doing much against the stronger clubs in this division

Old iggies - Much of the same here, were also average in div 2 last year.