• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Subbies 2023!

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
What a weekend in Div 1

As much as I love Boronia (Dont get tackled on the cricket pitch for the next few weeks). Drummoyne Oval has to be one of the best ovals to play at. Even #2 was looking perfect on Saturday in the sunshine.
Big win from our boys. Drummoyne has a few extremely impressive specimens running around in 1's and 2's. Alot of skill in those squads. Our boys were too clinical even missing a few players.

Anyone from Blueys or Mosman able to give a quick run down of the day at Rawson? Looked a great match up in 1's. A huge fightback from the whales to snatch the win.
A great competition ahead, it is a slight shame we dont get to play home and away against everyone though considering the evenness of the comp this year.

There are rumours of a few players dual registered continuing to play (For both clubs) and the clubs being aware of this and still allowing them on the field to keep others happy in the team.

21mm

Frank Nicholson (4)
All of this rumour and innuendo about players playing for a few clubs, gets you worried that its happening in your own backyard.

Whilst id hate to see this forum descend into a witch hunt, i think more indication as to what comps said players are playing in would be helpful.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
A great competition ahead, it is a slight shame we dont get to play home and away against everyone though considering the evenness of the comp this year.
Very odd scheduling this year with many teams playing both legs against an opponent before their first and only meeting with another in the last week or two.

Will be interesting to see who best 'weathers the storm' of the much discussed mid-year exodus.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
What would the plans be for Subbies if the Premier Clubs pull the Colts into their own comp. Seeing a number of them now having a 4ths Colts/U21

I know these Clubs have them. I would be confident saying Norths would have one. Only Two Blues, West Harbour & Hunter might not.

Gordon
Easts
Warringah
Manly
Uni
Randwick
Eastwood

More than enough to run their own comp which I'm sure they'd prefer.

Mule

Stan Wickham (3)
Some great games across the lower divisions today! First notable example is the dominant Beecroft win over Sydney Harbour today. The forwards were evenly matched across the game however the backlines showed a different class with Harbour having no answer to the slick backline moves from Beecroft. Super excited to see the next matchup between these two sides. Second example was in div 4 where Pfitzy's Renegades came from nowhere to upset Sydney Irish with a conversion from the side line after full time to win the game! How good is rugby.
hopefully a massive corner (after hugely challenging few years) turned for Knox clean sweeping Barker at Barker's home ladies day.... Sydney Harbour in a couple of weeks after wet weather bye will be challenging tho

Cuz

Allen Oxlade (6)
What would the plans be for Subbies if the Premier Clubs pull the Colts into their own comp. Seeing a number of them now having a 4ths Colts/U21

I know these Clubs have them. I would be confident saying Norths would have one. Only Two Blues, West Harbour & Hunter might not.

Gordon
Easts
Warringah
Manly
Uni
Randwick
Eastwood

More than enough to run their own comp which I'm sure they'd prefer.
Norths would struggle for 4 colts teams. They were struggling at the start of the year (& probably still are) to get 3 teams on the field going on some of the results

oldmate11

Herbert Moran (7)
Div 3 Round 5 Wrap

The Winners

Beecroft
- Huge day at Headen Park with a clean sweep across the grades, entrenching themselves towards the top of the table in all grades. Colts put on a big scoreline against Gordon with a second half blitz sending a message to the rest of the competition. 2nds were valiant in a tight clash against Easts that honestly could've gone either way. Defence was key as plenty of big time tackles kept Easts to only the one try. First grade put on their performance of the season so far dominating Harbour's backline and stifling any attacking opportunities they had. Definitely the form club in this division now.

Knox - Big win for the club at their rivals ground on their ladies day. Was tight for a while in colts but eventually put Bobs away. 2nds and 1sts had tight wins which will be sweet victories they'll look back on at the end of the season. Tough assignment next week, against a hurting Sydney Harbour. Should be a good game.

Sydney Harlequins - Solid wins in front of a good home crowd for Ladies day at Waterloo. Both grade sides look well placed for finals this year with their 2's a standout at the top of the table. The fact they put out a 3rds team on the weekend is a testament to the vibe around the club at the moment. They'll enjoy the two week break knowing they've started the season positively.

The Losers

Sydney Harbour
- Their first loss since Redfield in 2021 I think??? Certainly not panic stations but the margin was a big shock. Never looked that threatening in attack and were exposed out wide big time. For a side as structured as they normally are, they lost their way in the last 10 minutes allowing the score to blow out a bit. Good to see a bit of adversity for the lads, we'll see how they respond.

BOBS - Very deflating get swept by their rivals on your own ladies day but has kind of summed up their season so far. They'll need to show some consistency at some point or risk not doing much of note this year. Colts at least showed a bit of ticker this week which is good to see.

Old Ignatians - Early season shine has worn off and the results that most predicted for this club have started to roll in. Doesn't get any easier for them either, dates with Beecroft and Sydney Harbour await them after the break.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Norths would struggle for 4 colts teams. They were struggling at the start of the year (& probably still are) to get 3 teams on the field going on some of the results
Fair enough. Wasn’t sure about them. Still has them with a 7 team comp of their own.

I don’t expect to see them back in subbies next year.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Div 3 Round 5 Wrap

The Winners

Beecroft
- Huge day at Headen Park with a clean sweep across the grades, entrenching themselves towards the top of the table in all grades. Colts put on a big scoreline against Gordon with a second half blitz sending a message to the rest of the competition. 2nds were valiant in a tight clash against Easts that honestly could've gone either way. Defence was key as plenty of big time tackles kept Easts to only the one try. First grade put on their performance of the season so far dominating Harbour's backline and stifling any attacking opportunities they had. Definitely the form club in this division now.

The Losers

Sydney Harbour
- Their first loss since Redfield in 2021 I think??? Certainly not panic stations but the margin was a big shock. Never looked that threatening in attack and were exposed out wide big time. For a side as structured as they normally are, they lost their way in the last 10 minutes allowing the score to blow out a bit. Good to see a bit of adversity for the lads, we'll see how they respond.
Great win by Beecroft and appear to be on an upward trend back to the Higher divisions which is always good for Subbies rugby.

This pundit did predict against good sides, scoring 12 or 13 points. In this case 7, is not enough. Probably got lucky last year playing the good Div 4 sides in rain soaked games. @oldmate11 - Can you give a bit more analysis on what limited them in attack?

Denistone_Dennis

Chris McKivat (8)
Div 2 Round 5 Wrap

Briars vs Lindfield
- Should be pretty straight forward this one. Briars will fight hard and don't go away easily, but Lindfield should take control pretty early on and use set-piece to put Briars away. Hopefully Briars have used the week off to find a bit more in attack. Lindfield by 20.

UNSW vs Newport - Pivotal game for both teams. After a rough start UNSW are starting to come good, with a few of last years premiership side returning. Newport battled hard, but it looks like the low numbers are starting to take hold and UNSW can be a tough trip even when things are going well. UNSW by 10.

Epping vs Valley - Two teams that will be desperate to get off the mark in 2023 here. Valley seems to have steadily improved each week as their lineup has become more consistent. Epping have gone a little the other way, but will be glad to be back at Somerville for the first time in 2023. Think this will be very close, home ground advantage might be the difference. Epping by 2.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Fair enough. Wasn’t sure about them. Still has them with a 7 team comp of their own.

I don’t expect to see them back in subbies next year.

Maybe next year grade will be better organised before clubs do their own thing. Im hearing those involved in Div 3 comp are loving the regular game time. But the Rats whom missed the boat and had to opt as the Forest II team in Radfield Cup for their 4ths have started to lose a few to local subbies clubs due to the more infrequent game minutes offered.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Clubs should be informed from anyone who comes across it, it's a big load to put on clubs to check all team sheets to ensure their registered players aren't turning out for other clubs.

Then once the clubs know, they then have a responsibility to deal with it, essentially your not playing until your fully paid up on rego, show some commitment.

The problem with not staying on top of it is soon enough guys will be looking at ladders and re-registering mid-season heading into finals, stacking 2.0 if you will.

As far as I'm concerned it one chance, it happens a second time you don't play subbies anymore.
After spending some time away from footy I've become a little less militant on such issues. There's a bunch of "ifs" but in short, let them play if the club is happy for them to....

If they're paid up on rego
If both clubs know about it
If the clubs are not in the same division
If there's no payments (or in kind) involved

Subbies Clubs are having enough trouble getting players to turn out. If there's a player with the energy, money and friendships to play across clubs, good luck to them. Would you try to stop a player who did another winter sport or have a job on Saturdays? As long as they live up to the commitment they make to the club(s) then so be it.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
After spending some time away from footy I've become a little less militant on such issues. There's a bunch of "ifs" but in short, let them play if the club is happy for them to....

If they're paid up on rego
If both clubs know about it
If the clubs are not in the same division
If there's no payments (or in kind) involved

Subbies Clubs are having enough trouble getting players to turn out. If there's a player with the energy, money and friendships to play across clubs, good luck to them. Would you try to stop a player who did another winter sport or have a job on Saturdays? As long as they live up to the commitment they make to the club(s) then so be it.

Subbies already has a dual registration option for Premier club players - must be lowest grade for both clubs e.g. if they play Gordon 4th Grade at the highest they can play for Chatswood 2nd Grade. Any Premier Colts 3 starter or lower can show up for a Subbies Colts side. Doesn't happen often, but we've done it a couple of times. Guy plays Premier 4s first thing in the morning and can usually make it for our 2nd Grade game at 2PM.

Between Subbies Clubs? The systems aren't designed for you to be in multiple places for injury reporting, judiciary, yellow cards etc.

Lurker

Bob McCowan (2)
@Pfitzy is this us this week? Wish there were some games I could get around

Anyone have any games they can recommend I get along to this week that is local to the HH region. If not, Ill probably end up at TG for the Woods game
If you had any clue about ‘your’ club - you would know that HH are playing Three games on the weekend…. You can work out what they are seeing as your such a tight part of the club. Lolz

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
@Pfitzy is this us this week? Wish there were some games I could get around

Anyone have any games they can recommend I get along to this week that is local to the HH region. If not, Ill probably end up at TG for the Woods game

The date is wrong (13th?) but the games should be alright - 2 of them at Boronia, as well. Might even pop over there myself at some point.

21mm

Frank Nicholson (4)
If you had any clue about ‘your’ club - you would know that HH are playing Three games on the weekend…. You can work out what they are seeing as your such a tight part of the club. Lolz

1683848772617.png