• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Suggest a new coach for the Waratahs here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lion

Ted Fahey (11)
Phil Mooney, now that would turn a few heads.
Patricio Noriago as the forward coach.

Running rugby backed up by real grunt!!

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Lion said:
Running rugby backed up by real grunt!!

Totally illogical. Real grunt by forwards gettting and controlling the ball is the prequisite for running rugby. Forward power is rugby's sine qua non.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Lee

I trust that there's just a hint of irony in your post. I started my love affair with the Waratahs watching them and the Sydney comp on ABC TV, with Cyril Towers commentating. (Pity they couldn't clone him to replace the rubbish Fox commentators now.) My best memories are watching 1) Ken Catchpole and 2) Ella, Ella, Ella play for Randwick even hefore they made the test teams. So no, please no Jake White - he is the antithesis of what NSW rugby used to be about and what it should be about now.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Hawko said:
Lee

I trust that there's just a hint of irony in your post. I started my love affair with the Waratahs watching them and the Sydney comp on ABC TV, with Cyril Towers commentating. (Pity they couldn't clone him to replace the rubbish Fox commentators now.) My best memories are watching 1) Ken Catchpole and 2) Ella, Ella, Ella play for Randwick even hefore they made the test teams. So no, please no Jake White - he is the antithesis of what NSW rugby used to be about and what it should be about now.

Yeah Jake's teams weren't too expansive were they, but they were building for a RWC then with the players they had then and the way Saffer Super teams played then - give or take - and with the way they were refereed then. But put him in charge of a SAffer S14 team these days with the way they are refereed now and the way they have changed, and I'm sure that he would work out what style of rugby would work these days and be able to implement it. He's a winner.

Yeah - I used to go to Coogee Oval to watch the Ella boys play whenever I got a chance, which wasn't that often since I worked in Thredbo most winters, but earlier I got to see Catchy a lot.

I still watch recordings of Catchpole and Hipwell and the way they worked with crap ball. They were crapmeisters.

We make too many excuses for scrummies these days when the ball pongs a bit The old stagers used to get it out fast and often standing at all the wrong angles to do so. The crapmeisters used to snipe sometimes, especially Hipwell on the blind side, but by and large if the ball was crap they got rid of it lickety-split away from traffic so somebody else could do something with it.

It's not a concept that has currency. But I digress.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Lee,

Agree 100%. I'm watching the 98 Bledisloe winning test on Fox now, and back then Gregan could do it too. He got a horrible ball skewing out of a ruck and hit Bernie right in the breadbasket with a no-look reverse pass. Beautiful to watch.

Nothing to do with a new Tah coach I know, but.....

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Langthorne said:
Yes, Melrose was the backs coach a few years back...he managed to get the best from players like Beale (both at the Tahs and Rams), which gives me some hope.

Melrose left the Tahs after the 2006 campaign; Beale joined the Tahs in 2007. I must admit Billy did a decent job with the Rams.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Lindommer said:
Langthorne said:
Yes, Melrose was the backs coach a few years back...he managed to get the best from players like Beale (both at the Tahs and Rams), which gives me some hope.

Melrose left the Tahs after the 2006 campaign; Beale joined the Tahs in 2007. I must admit Billy did a decent job with the Rams.

my mistake - I thought there was an overlap at the tahs

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
why do people still persist in claiming the ARC means anything. it was a few games a few years ago. it reflects on nothing at all.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
waratahjesus said:
why do people still persist in claiming the ARC means anything. it was a few games a few years ago. it reflects on nothing at all.
Sounds like sour grapes, Rays are still the champions!

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
john mitchell should be free in about a year ;)

are the blazers dumb enough to consider it? hmmmm.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Moses said:
waratahjesus said:
Sounds like sour grapes, Rays are still the champions!

the Fleet were robbed, i wish i could give the rays credit but my lifelong loyalties continue to be with the boys from the docks

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
if hickey goes they have to give it to foley, surely he has served as long an apprentiship as anyone else, he was keen to takeover qld and they kept him here, they must have plans for him.

i would give a foot to have les kiss back, i thought he deserved an opportunity.

T

tranquility

Just because you mentioned him Lee, John Hipwell to this day is a design teacher at Churchie in Brisbane. He has nothing to do with the schools rugby program and most of the students have no idea who he is.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Wow - I've said many a time in the past, not necessarily on this forum, I forget, that Hipwell should be called in to give private lessons to dithering Oz scrumhalves.

Deans used NFJ to mentor Burgess but he's worse at dithering now than he was then. Maybe he should get Hippie to give some basics when he has time in the school holidays.

If you know him tell him what I said and that I called him the crapmeister. I would be interested to hear his opinion of the differences between Catchy and himself (as regards what principles they obeyed) and what he has observed scrummies doing since Gregan was in his pomp.

Status
Not open for further replies.