• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sunwolves vs Waratahs - Saturday 2nd July 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
He's not that much different in physical terms to Mumm, but probably a bit faster and more aggressive than the older man.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Both very welcome characteristics. I have always thought Dempsey was a bit on the small side for a No 6. What are his height and weight stats compared with Mumm's?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Jack's played well this year yet I see more upside in Hanigan for the 6 jumper. Probably not as abrasive at the breakdown but much better in lineouts and a good ball carrier. Nice depth to have.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Two wins won't be enough if the Highlanders beat the Jaguares or Chiefs. From my calculations at least one bonus point win will be needed.
Certainly going to be very interesting this coming weekend.
I think Brumbies have the kinder draw to finish off on.
The Blues are going to cause some problems, even though they are done, and the Hurricanes still aren't guaranteed a spot so Hurricanes Tahs next weekend will be the game to watch.

You're right. Winning bonus points are required. I think both Aussie teams may actually need 2 winning BPs each unless the Sadists, Chiefs or Highlanders lose unexpectedly next week. Go Rebels, Reds and Jaguares.

A big ask for the Tahs to get a winning BP against the Hurricanes but on their day they can certainly do it.

Cyril Towers (30)
If you ever get a chance to watch rugby in Tokyo, do it. The fans are good natured but very enthusiastic and love their team. The ground is good and easy to get to, but I think the Sunwolves are moving next year. I know the players really enjoyed their time there and were treated very well. And Tokyo is just a great place to spend a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Jack's played well this year yet I see more upside in Hanigan for the 6 jumper. Probably not as abrasive at the breakdown but much better in lineouts and a good ball carrier. Nice depth to have.

And is a natural lineout manager as well - that's rare in a young fellow.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I first recognised HH's talent when he was 13 just as he stepped me for the tenth time in Melbourne club training ;).

Ha, ha - not as bad as when Rugby Reg was stepped by Quade Cooper in a bit of fun at training - and that was after QC (Quade Cooper) told him which way he was stepping.

Yeah HH's family when down there when his dad got a teaching or head master assignment.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
For those who may be interested in which Forwards did the work at the breakdown against the Sunwolves.

Remember:
1. Early means 1st or 2nd of player’s team AFTER the ball carrier has been tackled and brought to ground.
2. Impact means active engagement: strong physical contact, changed shape of ruck, clean-out, protecting ball etc. (more than hand on someone’s bum or arriving after the hard work has been done). Yes it’s subjective - but as I collect all data at least it’s consistent.
3. Impact DOES NOT equate to Effectiveness. I’ve concluded that coming up with an effectiveness measure is just too hard in the time that I have available – but open to suggestions.

2016-07-04_17-22-11.jpg

Ruck Involvements over time

2016-07-04_17-21-20.jpg

Comments:
  1. Full match played by Skelton in hot conditions. Equal best 2016 Ruck Involvements.
  2. Strong effort by Hooper before being rested early in 2nd half.
  3. Big increase in Total Ruck Involvements after half time.
  4. Waratahs won 94% of their own rucks - 68 of 72.
  5. Sunwolves won 96% of their own rucks - 82 of 85.
  6. Increased support of ball carriers by Waratahs Front Row (30% of team Attack Ruck Involvements).
  7. Best rucking efforts by Back: Robinson - 13 Total (12 Attack/1 Defence).

Status
Not open for further replies.