• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super 15 Format

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Geeves

There are a number of things I don’t like about this year’s format. It’s bad enough that you don’t get to play all sides. For example the Reds miss both the Sharks and Highlanders. These would have been two tough games and well I have always a certain respect for the Highlanders especially after they knocked QLD out of the finals race at Ballymore one year.

The thing I really don’t like this year is the points you collect for having a week off. In fact it’s something that is bugging the hell out of me. I know there are always the arguments about the bonus points but at least I can vaguely understand what they are trying to do but hell (I’m assuming that everyone gets 2 Byes?) all the Bye points do is hide how a side is doing.
The second thing that annoys me is the automatic semi for a conference winner. So let’s have a look at the following table (after round 11 data from http://www.superxv.com/)

See T1 Round 11.jpg

Now let’s do three things. The First option is to remove the 4 points you get for having a rest, the second is what happens if we ignored the conference rule and the last is getting rid of bonus points because sooner of later someone is going to ask

See R11 2.jpg

Firstly the really ugly and obvious thing is how badly the Brumbies are doing this year. It’s made worse that really the Aus and SA teams are clogging up the arse end of the table. Now the aim of this dribble is not to abuse a team but to highlight that the BYE points are worthless. Let’s face it if everyone gets equal number of them why award them?

The other thing I really don’t like is the winner of the conference gets an automatic place. Well let’s face it the Crusaders are once again playing bloody good rugby. They also had a voluntary draw this year with the Hurricanes after the earthquake. As the Hurricanes are playing poorly this year (yes I know they won last week) I would have been surprised if they could have beaten the Crusaders this year. The difference between hosting a final and travelling for a final has always favoured the home side (I believe, I don’t have the data on me, someone can prove me wrong). I think that the finals should be based on position on the total points as it rewards teams that have done well throughout the season.

What I did find interesting was that the bonus points had SFA to do with the final 6 this year. Normally they are critical. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the season finishes.

Lets at least get rid of the bonus points for next year.

Attachments

• T1 Round11.jpg
    T1 Round11.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 235
  • R11 2.jpg
    R11 2.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 231

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Keep in mind that we have a shorter season this year due to RWC. Next year you'll play each team once, with conference teams playing twice.

I like the conference system. It makes financial and logistical sense, and is overall a better product. Bonus points should stay as well.

I agree with you, though, about the bye points. They're kind of stupid. I'd much rather read a table by 'games played/games in hand' like the EPL, than award an arbitrary amount of points for a week off.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
The only thing I don't like about the draw this year is that it took 11 weeks before the Reds played a NZ team.

The conference games are obviously important but for NZ and SA, they aren't that big of a deal cos we have provincial competitions anyway....I like watching us play SA and AUS teams.

My opinion anyways....

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I agree with fatprop that every team playing each other home and away is ideal, but I cannot see that happening without a dramatic reduction in the quality of the rugby. That would equate to 28 regular season games plus finals. Throw in the 12-14 test matches top SANZAR players are expected to turn out for each season, and our schedule and the workloads of our players would start looking decidedly French.

I also dislike the fact that this year not all the teams play each other, but there isn't much that can be done about that. My beloved Crusaders, for example, miss out on playing the Rebels and the Lions. That's as close to two guaranteed wins as you get in this comp.

However, I like the points for the bye. Essentially there is no difference awarding all teams with 4 points for the bye or 0 points. It all equals out and I can't imagine why anyone would have a genuine issue with the current system. In the past, when 0 points were allocated for the bye I would always have to take the byes into account when considering my team's finals chances, and that's still the case.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Blues are on top no matter what so I'm happy....lol

That NZ conference is going to be a boody cracker in the comming weeks. Crusaders play the Blues again and Blues play the Highlanders again. These games are going to be crucial in deciding who tops the conference.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
That NZ conference is going to be a boody cracker in the comming weeks. Crusaders play the Blues again and Blues play the Highlanders again. These games are going to be crucial in deciding who tops the conference.

We've already played the Highlanders twice....play the Canes this weekend and then we'll have the Crusaders and Chiefs to contend with.

The Blues are playing with better consistency and structure - not seen since about 2002 - but they still look fragile at times. Toeava's Super season is ended and that's a big loss but we're fortunate that we can move Payne to his usual position of FB and have Ranger and Stanley in the centres. Stanley is still under-rated I believe....that try he scored against the Rebels the other week was great...

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The thing that pisses me off is that every team is not playing another two teams in the comp at all. Get rid of some of these derbies to make sure every team is at least played once. What a farce, is there any comp in the world that would allow that.. not to play a team in the regular season...

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
There are a number of things I don’t like about this year’s format. It’s bad enough that you don’t get to play all sides. For example the Reds miss both the Sharks and Highlanders. These would have been two tough games and well I have always a certain respect for the Highlanders especially after they knocked QLD out of the finals race at Ballymore one year.

The thing I really don’t like this year is the points you collect for having a week off. In fact it’s something that is bugging the hell out of me. I know there are always the arguments about the bonus points but at least I can vaguely understand what they are trying to do but hell (I’m assuming that everyone gets 2 Byes?) all the Bye points do is hide how a side is doing.
The second thing that annoys me is the automatic semi for a conference winner. So let’s have a look at the following table (after round 11 data from http://www.superxv.com/)

See T1 Round 11.jpg

Now let’s do three things. The First option is to remove the 4 points you get for having a rest, the second is what happens if we ignored the conference rule and the last is getting rid of bonus points because sooner of later someone is going to ask

See R11 2.jpg

Firstly the really ugly and obvious thing is how badly the Brumbies are doing this year. It’s made worse that really the Aus and SA teams are clogging up the arse end of the table. Now the aim of this dribble is not to abuse a team but to highlight that the BYE points are worthless. Let’s face it if everyone gets equal number of them why award them?

The other thing I really don’t like is the winner of the conference gets an automatic place. Well let’s face it the Crusaders are once again playing bloody good rugby. They also had a voluntary draw this year with the Hurricanes after the earthquake. As the Hurricanes are playing poorly this year (yes I know they won last week) I would have been surprised if they could have beaten the Crusaders this year. The difference between hosting a final and travelling for a final has always favoured the home side (I believe, I don’t have the data on me, someone can prove me wrong). I think that the finals should be based on position on the total points as it rewards teams that have done well throughout the season.

What I did find interesting was that the bonus points had SFA to do with the final 6 this year. Normally they are critical. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the season finishes.

Lets at least get rid of the bonus points for next year.
This is exactly the kind of moans I have been warned against way back when G&G was still the Yellow Scarf will happen with this new kak format. As soon as reality struck the supporter, the kak will start.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
the thing that pisses me off is that every team is not playing another two teams in the comp at all. Get rid of some of these derbies to make sure every team is at least played once. What a farce, is there any comp in the world that would allow that.. Not to play a team in the regular season...

nfl

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
They play 16 regular season games including home and away against their conference rivals. They understand the extra importance put on these games. I don't mind the current format of Super Rugby but agree it will be better next year when they play every team in the comp.

I do hate the points for a bye system. I would love to see the back of this.

Gooch

Fred Wood (13)
I'm just glad that teams play all other teams from next season. Bye's shouldn't be awarded 4 points, but other than that I am happy with the format.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
What's the big deal with the points for a bye?

They dont like the same for sameness. In the end it all cancel out but at least it give some reflection of the current week by week situation during the season. Also it give John Mitchels Lions some hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.