• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2017: matches not involving Australian teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
It looked to me like Luatua's hit did start at shoulder height but then slipped up to neck height. Probably borderline yellow/red last season but definitely red this season.

A hell of a lot of games this season are going to be decided by the new laws. Worth a punt on the rank outsiders just on the off chance the favourites get a red in the first 10 minutes.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Not sure what the commentators are on about in terms of new protocols. That looked like a red card anytime in the last decade to me.
Very strange defence of him. I reckon it looked pretty intentional. The bloke never got the ball.
Hard to see any redeeming aspect except he didn't protest the punishment.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^^ Didn't see the game & have only seen the FoxSports clip of Luatua's brain explosion (clear Red IMO, with or without the latest WR (World Rugby) directive), curious to know who the comms defending him were? According to the stuff.co.nz live update I saw even Kirwan was calling it Red while Skeen was reviewing it.

Interesting also that Bloos only trailed 9-15 prior to the Red & reportedly dominated the final quarter when they brought their AB benchies on so maybe it wasn't quite the reaming it appears at first glance (can't believe I'm somewhat defending the Queen City mofos, I must be getting soft in my middle age :)).

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
weirdly I thought the Blues solid D from Round 1 didn’t actually regress too much. The Chiefs jailbreak action was just goddamn dizzying. Sirens, dogs, flashing halogens, just sheer bloody terror. I don’t know the Chiefs schedule but they might ANNIHILATE some sides this season

Upthenuts

Dave Cowper (27)
as a long suffering Blues fan, it looks like we might be settling for another year being the 5th best NZ team, theres worse things than a top 10 finish

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
^^^curious to know who the comms defending him were? According to the stuff.co.nz live update I saw even Kirwan was calling it Red while Skeen was reviewing it.

Commentators were TJ, Goldie and JK, and they all said it Red as soon as it happened, JK just said it not normally his game, but didn't in anyway defend his action!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Commentators were TJ, Goldie and JK, and they all said it Red as soon as it happened, JK just said it not normally his game, but didn't in anyway defend his action!
That was the way I heard it too. Not really even much debate that it would have been yellow in the past.

Clear red for me. No one should be complaining if that is consistently a red card this season.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
as a long suffering Blues fan, it looks like we might be settling for another year being the 5th best NZ team, theres worse things than a top 10 finish

The Chiefs were very good, I wouldn't throw in the towel yet. I still think you'll get one of the wildcard spots (at the expense of the Highlanders).

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
That was the way I heard it too. Not really even much debate that it would have been yellow in the past.

Clear red for me. No one should be complaining if that is consistently a red card this season.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

My issue with the comms was the insistence by a couple that there was no intent (which they cannot know) followed by the "he's a good bloke" routine, as if that does or should make a difference. They should just be objective and say it was bad, it's red, that's it. And I am aware that lots of other commentators going round are just as bad on this or worse, which is also irrelevant.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Liam Squire looks to have done some damage to his previously-less-damaged knee. Lentjes having already gone off & the reserve hooker limping out if the warmups, they can't really afford to lose him as well as probably only Wheeler can cover flank/ 8.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
WTF. 80% possession & Clan have barely been in our half, first time they get into the 22 they score under the dot. Clan 10-3 after 30ish.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Clan score again on the back of a grand total of 58sec in the CruSadist's 22. This just doesn't make sense, Clan should be looking up & contemplating how they're gunna come back from 15ish behind, instead they're probably wondering how they got to be 11 in front.

Upthenuts

Dave Cowper (27)
is it just me or is the tackling and contact a step up this year compared to previous years, intense hard hitting rugby from game one for the kiwi teams

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's far too late but Dagg needs to go to 15, Clan are quite happy to kick it into Havili's zone 'cos they know he'll just truck it up & they can counter that easily. Or Sopoaga will kick-pass it to Fekitoa who doesn't drop it & feeds Naholo for the PI-trifecta try. Fuck me, 6-27 with 30 to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.