• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2022

Super Rugby 2022

• Go Blues

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Go cantabs

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go other NZ team.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go Force

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Go Tahs

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • Go Brumbies

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go Reds

Votes: 30 31.9%
  • Go Rebs

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Go new PI teams

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go any team that plays the cantabs

Votes: 12 12.8%

• Total voters

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I like the GLDO just to see the big boppers running it back, I thought that was entertaining
Also less scrums and less resets, I love a good scrum and I like the fact they are contested unlike the group hugs they have in league. But the constant resets do get a bit much so reducing the amount of scrums is good

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
It’s still a 5 m scrum if the defending team takes it back over the try line, assuming it’s the same variation as the rest of the world is using.
Ok, thanks. Didn’t realise that was the case. Still think held up should be a scrum though

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
And commercial reality pretty key given competition for fans and indeed success of other codes encroaching on rugby…
Not just fans but those playing the game at grassroots as well.

I wonder how long until some of these changes filter down to QPR and SS.

I’ve been a part of two drawn semi-finals as a coach way back when, the players on the field were screaming to play for a result (well at least mine were, they knew how the draw result ended for us…)

Even this season just gone in Queensland club rugby I believe there was an unprecedented number of games in the finals with a drawn result, so the higher team on the ladder goes through etc etc. I bet those blokes would have preferred to go down fighting.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Hey Guys, does anyone have a link/password to the G&G footy tipping comp, It was mentioned on the podcast but not all of us have twitter. Sorry if not the right forum

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Not just fans but those playing the game at grassroots as well.

I wonder how long until some of these changes filter down to QPR and SS.

I’ve been a part of two drawn semi-finals as a coach way back when, the players on the field were screaming to play for a result (well at least mine were, they knew how the draw result ended for us…)

Even this season just gone in Queensland club rugby I believe there was an unprecedented number of games in the finals with a drawn result, so the higher team on the ladder goes through etc etc. I bet those blokes would have preferred to go down fighting.
Phil as you say your team was screaming for a result, because they knew what a draw did for them? My answer would be it's in the players hands, if they NEED to get a winning result they need to do it. I hear people say how players hate a draw, well when I played I hated a loss, but if we weren't good enough to win, unfortunately that was what happened. I have never got the need to play extra time, a draw is a result and a game that is meant to be played over 80 minutes of playing time. And even now it can still be a draw after extra time, so really it's just making game longer.

Though as I said I understand the commercial reality, it's what happens in sport in this day and age, I not sure it makes game better.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hey Guys, does anyone have a link/password to the G&G footy tipping comp, It was mentioned on the podcast but not all of us have twitter. Sorry if not the right forum
That's the Rugby Report Card boys comp on ESPN footy tips.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Do we know if team announcements are going to happen all at once like in Super Rugby AU or are we back to team announcements 48 hours before kick off of each game?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Do we know if team announcements are going to happen all at once like in Super Rugby AU or are we back to team announcements 48 hours before kick off of each game?
First announcements are this evening, but it's not clear if it'll be all of them. rugby.com.au just posted this to their instagram, so there definitely trying to make a thing of it:
1644967630590.png

Caption is "The first wave of teams for the opening round of #SuperRugbyPacific to be announced today 5pm AEDT. Stay tuned!". First wave for the opening round makes it sound like it won't be all of them though.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Releasing all teams together at a regular time is a far, far better strategy than having each team release them willy nilly.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Isn't the norm for Friday night's games to be released tonight (48hrs before) and Staurday's tomorrow night? Putting a lot of pressue on wanting teams named 3-4 days before they play. Once season is underway, coaches will want time to see how players are after a few days rest surely?

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Last year in SRAu all teams were named at the same time - better for media and fan engagement. Nothing to stop late changes, every match in the NRL there a couple of changes before kick off.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Isn't the norm for Friday night's games to be released tonight (48hrs before) and Staurday's tomorrow night? Putting a lot of pressue on wanting teams named 3-4 days before they play. Once season is underway, coaches will want time to see how players are after a few days rest surely?
It’s not that hard. Just do it Thursday night at 6 like the AFL have managed for 100 or more years

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Law Variations Confirmed here.
Hope that's just a media document and not the official write up the competition is using - the golden point section on competition points appears to be incomplete and is just generally really vague - e.g. doesn't specifically cover bonus points in the situation where team A has 3 tries more than Team B in regular time but then team B wins with a try in golden point. It appears the 3 try bp from regular time is respected in this case, even though it can still be earned in extra time in the alternate scenario described. I don't really mind one way or the other, but if it's that inconsistent it really should be clearly stated, not just implied.

No Idea why they didn't just put together a proper matrix with all the possible permutations, it's not that complex, I did it in about 10 minutes:

Team A wins GP with a penalty/drop goalTeam A wins GP with a tryTeam B wins GP with a penalty/drop goalTeam B wins GP with a tryDraw
Team A has 3 tries more than Team B in regular timeTeam A win and 3try BP, team B losing BPTeam A win and 3try BP, team B losing BPTeam A losing BP and 3try BP, team B winTeam A losing BP and ???, team B winTeam A 3try BP, Draw points for both
Team A has 2 tries more than Team B in regular timeTeam A win, team B losing BPTeam A win and 3try BP, Team B losing BPTeam A losing BP, team B winTeam A losing BP, team B winDraw points for both

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's total tries at the end of golden point. So if you are up by 3 tries, the match is tied then you lose to a try in golden point you are only up by 2 tries so you would just get one bonus point for losing by 7 or less.