• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2024 General Chat

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
@Wilson bang on mate, there is just so much to love, not too many guaranteed results if any, and some bloody entertaining rugby!
And here we are 3 weeks in and only one undefeated team in the comp, just makes it brilliant!

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
@Wilson bang on mate, there is just so much to love, not too many guaranteed results if any, and some bloody entertaining rugby!
And here we are 3 weeks in and only one undefeated team in the comp, just makes it brilliant!
And they were run well into extra time to get there too. Setting us up for some mouth watering clashes the next few weeks as teams jostle for position in the 8 on either side of the Tasman and try and cement themselves as contenders (and one previously dominant side desperately tries to save face).

Just a bit annoyed we have to wait until week 8 for the first Chiefs Hurricanes clash and all the way until the final round for the Chiefs Blues.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I know it’s been a bit frustrating from an Australian fan basis with close losses by the Tahs & Reds, but gee I’ve enjoyed the standard of games so far in Super Rugby this year. Most have been competitive and whilst not at all error free the games have been mostly pretty up tempo.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Is there any chance Moana can play some games in Apia or Tonga, I read there was about 400 people on Friday night

GIIssodaEAA-WWb.jpeg

GIIssofbAAABJXt.jpeg

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Late change of venue right? Can't imagine they are going to get bumper crowds at Mt Smart either tbh.

When you look at what the Drua are getting you can't help but think it's becoming an opportunity missed to take it to Samoa and Tonga.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Late change of venue right? Can't imagine they are going to get bumper crowds at Mt Smart either tbh.

When you look at what the Drua are getting you can't help but think it's becoming an opportunity missed to take it to Samoa and Tonga.
Last years Reds game was in Apia and their game against the Chiefs this year is in Nukuʻalofa, but it still presents a significant logistical challenge. Infrastructure is not at the level of Fiji and the travel burden can be pretty significant, particularly given Moana themselves aren't based there. It's hard to see it changing in the near future, at least while Moana are still couch surfing in Auckland. Part of the problem is having them so split between Samoa and Tonga, it makes it difficult to invest in one as a base without upsetting the other.

Arguably their best option in the interim would be to shift to somewhere like North Habour or Pukekohe more permanently and aim for consistent crowds in a small stadium but still close enough to Auckland for travel. Tap into a fan vase that doesn't feel the love from super rugby week to week. That is what it looks like they had been starting to explore here before the stadium issues forced them to Hamilton at late notice. The alternative would be a move to Western Sydney where there is latent pacific support and a much larger population in general. But given many of the players are sourced from NPC and the side is currently New Zealand backed that may not be affordable to set up.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)

Exactly, docent matter about it being moved to Hamilton, Mt Smart also gets empty stadiums

They need to find a way to play games in Apia etc., if it means investing in ensuring there's a proper stadium & facilities so be it

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Moana only playing twice at Mount Smart this year (R12 v Chiefs & R14 v 'tahs). Other home game venues are Eden Park (R6 v Blues), Whangarei (R8 v Reds) & Nuku’alofa (R11 v Highlanders).

Moving them to NH would be a disaster IMO, it's barely fit for Super Rugby & Stadiums Auckland don't appear to be interested in getting it back up to standard. Plus getting there is an issue (or series of issues) esp from South & West Auckland where most of the Pasifika communities live.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It has always been the worst expansion team ever conceived.
It's actually got to go bankrupt to be the worst expansion team! ;)
Though in all seriousness, it will struggle because it not really one or the other, Samoan,Tongan,Cook Island,Fijian etc etc. I not sure even taking games to Apia for more than 1-2 games a year would help. Drua always better as they are 1; better at rugby, 2 Only 1 country needed to base team 3; only the 1 country RU that they have to really answer too.
I do think if is stuck with may have legs though, and can understand the reasonong of having them. And of course raises the other question, do these island communities actually want these teams that we all seem to think they do?

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Though in all seriousness, it will struggle because it not really one or the other, Samoan,Tongan,Cook Island,Fijian etc etc. I not sure even taking games to Apia for more than 1-2 games a year would help. Drua always better as they are 1; better at rugby, 2 Only 1 country needed to base team 3; only the 1 country RU that they have to really answer too.
I do think if is stuck with may have legs though, and can understand the reasonong of having them. And of course raises the other question, do these island communities actually want these teams that we all seem to think they do?
Roll up the Rebels fans - get your riot shield ready Dan :)

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Does feel like a situation of telling the community what they should want.

But, but we already support teams in the comp. I mean sure, I don't mind them but I go for the Blues.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Moana only playing twice at Mount Smart this year (R12 v Chiefs & R14 v 'tahs). Other home game venues are Eden Park (R6 v Blues), Whangarei (R8 v Reds) & Nuku’alofa (R11 v Highlanders).

Moving them to NH would be a disaster IMO, it's barely fit for Super Rugby & Stadiums Auckland don't appear to be interested in getting it back up to standard. Plus getting there is an issue (or series of issues) esp from South & West Auckland where most of the Pasifika communities live.
I can't speak to the geography of Auckland and the surrounds, but I think they need to find a way to differentiate themselves from being Blues light in Auckland. Only way I can really se them doing that is if they shift to one of the stadiums outside the city - yes, it'd be harder to get to for those in the city but much easier for those around that stadium who might be inclined to jump on some thing local. They don't need a hell of a lot of fans, particularly in those smaller stadiums. If they're running a 5-10 thousand average crowd in a stadium where that's 50-100% full they'd look like a mild success all of a sudden. Mostly suggested North Harbour because it was the one they were first looking to when there was a clash. Whangerei may work better, but it's a bit far from Auckland so it would add a travel burden and may make it harder to lock down players. Or would Pukekohe make more sense if they could get the necessary upgrades done given that islander population is South and West?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ In a perfect world it's Mount Smart all the way as it's adjacent to the most likely supporter base. Unfortunately for Moana, however, the same is true for the Warriors esp on the back of their best season in a decade or more.

The suggestion that maybe Pasifika people aren't that interested in Moana is contrary to the sentiments they've been expressing almost since Super Rugby became a thing & of course it was a group of eminent Pasifika rugby identities who pitched the Moana concept to SANZAAR, not the other way round.