• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2024 General Chat

Wilson

David Codey (61)
3 weeks in:

We happy to write off the 'Saders? Is this an early slump they'll recover from? Chiefs still favourites?

I boringly predict a Crusaders v Chiefs GF.

top 8 for me before the play offs:

1. Chiefs
2. Hurricanes
3. Reds
4. Brumbies
5. Crusaders
6. Blues
7. Drua
8. 'Tahs
Crusaders will bounce back some when they get McNicholl in at fullback and a few players back from injury (Burke and/or Reihana in particular), but it's a while before they're available. I think they'll still make the eight, but how high they can get is probably decided in the next three weeks with games against the Canes, Blues and Chiefs. I won't write them off for making their way through the knock outs just yet, but it looks like a lot of the teams they'll face will have beaten them in the regular season and the aura will be diminished.

For the favourites I think the Hurricanes have just about earned that. The strength of their scrum and the players they have due to come back in (Barret, Kirifi and Shields in particular) make it look like they're only improving from here. Two tough, important wins against what look to be two of the other contenders at this early stage are invaluable too. They have a great chance to really build on their momentum over the next month before facing the Chiefs after the bye, so they should be fresh and firing.

Reds and Chiefs look pretty tight in 2 and 3 at the moment, but the Reds still have plenty to prove to stay up there. Like the Canes they do have a chance to go on a pretty good run here, particularly if they get over the Rebels on Friday. The gloss has come off the Chiefs just a bit and I think teams will have really paid attention to what the Reds have done (and how they've done it) to them recently, but they still have one hell of team and a lot of fluency and confidence. Tough to split the two at this stage though.

Blues have improved on last year, selection stuff up last weekend aside, and I think they'll be pretty solid for 4th at this stage. Their clash with the Brumbies in round 8 will be an interesting one, but at this stage I see it playing out the opposite to last year, with the Blues very much the side in control. They do also look to be getting ahead of their All Black resting requirements, something that might bite the other kiwi sides later in the year given the closeness of the competition.

From there it's all a bit of a mess. Definitely think the Brumbies will make the 8, but they've got a lot to do to get back to anything like last years form. tahs can absolutely do it, but the pressure on the coach may tell on the team and they have a worrying injury list already. Rebels are even more vulnerable to that outside pressure but do look to be trending in the right direction. 3 challenging weeks in a row (Reds (h), Canes (A), tahs (A)) could break them if they don't get a win and/or pick up some bad injuries though. Highlanders are pushing well and Jamie Joseph and Patchell coming in look to have made a real difference, but that squad looks thin and I don't think they can afford to make mistakes. SHould probably snake a spot this year. Drua will probably win everything at home and almost nothing away. Force would have something if they had a tight 5. Moana will get an upset or two but I don't think they'll be in the conversation

That was a very long, somewhat out of order break down, so here's where I think we're headed, single line groupings I can't really split at the moment and you could probably merge 5-10 into one big group:

1. Hurricanes
2/3. Reds/Chiefs
4. Blues
5/6/7 Brumbies/Drua/Highlanders
8/9/10 Crusaders/tahs/Rebels
11. Force
12. Moana

Only 3 rounds in thoug so a lot can change.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Crusaders will bounce back some when they get McNicholl in at fullback and a few players back from injury (Burke and/or Reihana in particular), but it's a while before they're available. I think they'll still make the eight, but how high they can get is probably decided in the next three weeks with games against the Canes, Blues and Chiefs. I won't write them off for making their way through the knock outs just yet, but it looks like a lot of the teams they'll face will have beaten them in the regular season and the aura will be diminished.

For the favourites I think the Hurricanes have just about earned that. The strength of their scrum and the players they have due to come back in (Barret, Kirifi and Shields in particular) make it look like they're only improving from here. Two tough, important wins against what look to be two of the other contenders at this early stage are invaluable too. They have a great chance to really build on their momentum over the next month before facing the Chiefs after the bye, so they should be fresh and firing.

Reds and Chiefs look pretty tight in 2 and 3 at the moment, but the Reds still have plenty to prove to stay up there. Like the Canes they do have a chance to go on a pretty good run here, particularly if they get over the Rebels on Friday. The gloss has come off the Chiefs just a bit and I think teams will have really paid attention to what the Reds have done (and how they've done it) to them recently, but they still have one hell of team and a lot of fluency and confidence. Tough to split the two at this stage though.

Blues have improved on last year, selection stuff up last weekend aside, and I think they'll be pretty solid for 4th at this stage. Their clash with the Brumbies in round 8 will be an interesting one, but at this stage I see it playing out the opposite to last year, with the Blues very much the side in control. They do also look to be getting ahead of their All Black resting requirements, something that might bite the other kiwi sides later in the year given the closeness of the competition.

From there it's all a bit of a mess. Definitely think the Brumbies will make the 8, but they've got a lot to do to get back to anything like last years form. tahs can absolutely do it, but the pressure on the coach may tell on the team and they have a worrying injury list already. Rebels are even more vulnerable to that outside pressure but do look to be trending in the right direction. 3 challenging weeks in a row (Reds (h), Canes (A), tahs (A)) could break them if they don't get a win and/or pick up some bad injuries though. Highlanders are pushing well and Jamie Joseph and Patchell coming in look to have made a real difference, but that squad looks thin and I don't think they can afford to make mistakes. SHould probably snake a spot this year. Drua will probably win everything at home and almost nothing away. Force would have something if they had a tight 5. Moana will get an upset or two but I don't think they'll be in the conversation

That was a very long, somewhat out of order break down, so here's where I think we're headed, single line groupings I can't really split at the moment and you could probably merge 5-10 into one big group:

1. Hurricanes
2/3. Reds/Chiefs
4. Blues
5/6/7 Brumbies/Drua/Highlanders
8/9/10 Crusaders/tahs/Rebels
11. Force
12. Moana

Only 3 rounds in thoug so a lot can change.

What are the chances of an all AUS final??

It is looking like a close comp - and that can mean anything could happen

Wilson

David Codey (61)

Probably needs Australian teams to go 1 and 2 for that to happen, away finals are so bloody hard to win. If the Brumbies get over the Highlanders this weekend they still have a month before they face another New Zealand side so they have some time to find their form again. That could see Reds and Brumbies top the table, but it'd require the Hurricanes to fall off a bit I think.

Alternatively if the Rebels can use the off field drama to galvanize the team they have the sort of pack to do it, but I just think it will be too much for them to hold it together long enough to finish in the top 4. Might be different if there weren't so many new faces, but the team still feels pretty clunky to me and their ruck work is letting them down.

tahs might have too many hard games over the next few weeks before they can find their groove to push for the top of the table. Probably more stable then the Rebels overall but their ceiling doesn't look as high.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Why not have the NZ tax payers contribute similar to how the Aus Government has used it to further relationships with our PI allies.
Already do mate, NZ actually do same thing to Tonga, Samoa and I believe Fiji, in grants of about $1,750,000,000 (about $430-440 mill a year) over last 3-4 years? Probably build a few stadiums with that mate. A hell of lot of it goes to sports, and read somewhere how much goes to rugby etc.
It's not new NZ have pumped money (Aus too probably) for years!
NZR also came up with a $4 mill underwrite for Moana Pasifika in the way of $1mill grant that they don't have to repay, and a $3mill loan facility !

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Strange you should say that, on the main news at 6pm tonight there was a bit in sports about how well Aussie teams are going and was really positive! It's seen as incredibly good news over here, majority are real happy to see the competition!!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Let’s settle down a bit, we are still only 2/6 against NZ teams.

Definitely looking more positive than past couple of years but another couple of crunch NZ games this week will give us more of a guide
Within a bees dick of being 4/6, though.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Auckland A-League expansion team launched today will play out of Mount Smart (but train at Albany initially at least), further complicating Moana's home ground issues. Pukekohe looking more & more like the sensible option.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ Hardly. It's year 2 of a 3-year deal with Christchurch City Council's tourism arm. They've also recently played in Hamilton, Napier & Wellington albeit those were mostly away games with e.g. Wests Tigers doing a deal with the local council to play there.

There's talk of a Christchurch-based NRL expansion team, but that's been around since even before I moved to Aus in '09 & enthusiasm for it seems to rise & fall with the Warriors' bandwagon effect.

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
^ Hardly. It's year 2 of a 3-year deal with Christchurch City Council's tourism arm. They've also recently played in Hamilton, Napier & Wellington albeit those were mostly away games with e.g. Wests Tigers doing a deal with the local council to play there.

There's talk of a Christchurch-based NRL expansion team, but that's been around since even before I moved to Aus in '09 & enthusiasm for it seems to rise & fall with the Warriors' bandwagon effect.
They are waiting for another billionaire to get interested enough.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
The more I read the tea-leaves, the more it looks like the Pacifica will be based in Melbourne....

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
4 day weekend yet they still cram all super rugby games into 2 days, why?

Both AFL and NRL have games on all 4 days

Would have been nice to have a game to watch tonight or even Sunday or Monday

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ tahs v Rebs is on tonight if you're not interested in CruSadists v Tribe...

Agree wrt Sunday (personally I'd have a Sunday arvo game every week) but I think Monday would be a no-go for turnaround reasons unless both teams were heading into a bye.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
^ tahs v Rebs is on tonight if you're not interested in CruSadists v Tribe...

Agree wrt Sunday (personally I'd have a Sunday arvo game every week) but I think Monday would be a no-go for turnaround reasons unless both teams were heading into a bye.
I think that "tonight" was a Perth Thursday and he was after a Thursday night game.

Usually I'm not for artificially spreading out the games too much because it can complicate the draw with turn around times, but with the byes starting next weekend this was probably the perfect opportunity for it.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ Thursday night footy produces the same too-short turnaround issue as Monday. The player's associations would never allow it unless going into or coming out of a bye week.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Yeah Im not fussed about Thursday, there is an NRL game on Thursday every week. An Easter Sunday arvo game is a missed opportunity though.