• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2024 General Chat

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Possibly good short- & bad long-term news for CruSadists wrt Fergus Burke.

The bad:

The possibly good:

Final para mentions he could be back next week (presumably off the bench) v 'tahs.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Watching gather round and again marveling at how much better afl is run V rugby.
Why do we play all our super rugby games in our equivalent round in Melbourne - a city with limited rugby following - and all at the same stadium?
Surely better served to at least pick 3-4 venues across Melbourne or actually do in Sydney or Brisbane and spread around and get actual crowds and interest

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Watching gather round and again marveling at how much better afl is run V rugby.
Why do we play all our super rugby games in our equivalent round in Melbourne - a city with limited rugby following - and all at the same stadium?
Surely better served to at least pick 3-4 venues across Melbourne or actually do in Sydney or Brisbane and spread around and get actual crowds and interest

Super Round was a NZ Rugby concept, NZ Super Rugby teams traded a home game for a flat fee and then contracted it to TEG who negotiated with the VIC Govt.

it was a 2 year deal, if it runs again in 2025 it ‘should’ be managed by the new Super Rugby commission who might do a better job managing it.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Super Round was a NZ Rugby concept, NZ Super Rugby teams traded a home game for a flat fee and then contracted it to TEG who negotiated with the VIC Govt.

it was a 2 year deal, if it runs again in 2024 it ‘should’ be managed by the new Super Rugby commission who might do a better job managing it.
Almost right Adam, not sure where idea came form, but all teams that were drawn to have home game were paid a flat fee, can't remeber which ones, but the ones who were drawn to play an away game didn't get the payment. I think you will find Aus teams were also paid fee if they lost home game. But regardless who got what, I agree with Sir A , but I not a fan at ll of super rounds as a rule. I do know the first year it was talked about having it early beofr NRL and AFL kicked off in Aus , to supposedly give the game a kickstart to the season. but wasn't it postponed? Not that convinced it would of worked anyway.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Almost right Adam, not sure where idea came form, but all teams that were drawn to have home game were paid a flat fee, can't remeber which ones, but the ones who were drawn to play an away game didn't get the payment. I think you will find Aus teams were also paid fee if they lost home game. But regardless who got what, I agree with Sir A , but I not a fan at ll of super rounds as a rule. I do know the first year it was talked about having it early beofr NRL and AFL kicked off in Aus , to supposedly give the game a kickstart to the season. but wasn't it postponed? Not that convinced it would have worked anyway.

It was NZ Rugby concept Dan, as i said above. NZ Super Rugby teams sold their home games for the flat fee offered by TEG.

It’s why NZ Super Rugby teams only have 6 games at their home ground during 2022/2023, and Australian teams have 7 in a 14 game season.

Only exception to this is that it also counts as a Rebels home game, naturally so.

2024 Super Round home teams:

IMG_0938.jpeg

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Just to add to Adam's post...

TEG own Ticketek, which is the authorised ticket seller for AAMI Park, and the MCG, but they're not going to play Super Rugby games there.

TEG is owned by Silver Lake, who are also the paymasters of...

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep, I mate as I said no idea as who's idea it was never saw it mentioned over here (I genuinely thought/assumed it was TEG idea). What I was suggesting is the Aussie teams would of also been reimbursed for loss of gate takings, not just NZ teams. Well I certainly hope so anyway, and if not I would of expected or hope they would kick up a stink. see didn't Highlanders play Blues in Melbourne? So I must check their draws to see who sold their home game
But after a thought, I see your point, the Aus teams kept home games, but would of saved no doubt in travel costs would be their only advantage?
Do hope they put ti to bed and not have it again whichever way it was done!

Last edited:

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yep, I mate as I said no idea as who's idea it was never saw it mentioned over here (I genuinely thought/assumed it was TEG idea). What I was suggesting is the Aussie teams would of also been reimbursed for loss of gate takings, not just NZ teams. Well I certainly hope so anyway, and if not I would of expected or hope they would kick up a stink. see didn't Highlanders play Blues in Melbourne? So I must check their draws to see who sold their home game
But after a thought, I see your point, the Aus teams kept home games, but would of saved no doubt in travel costs would be their only advantage?
Do hope they put ti to bed and not have it again whichever way it was done!

From GeeRob back in 2022...

The concept is actually ‘owned’ by New Zealand Rugby, who’ve licensed it out to events company TEG Sport. TEG in turn negotiated a two-year deal with Visit Victoria to bring it to Melbourne, then paid the New Zealand teams who had to surrender home games a flat fee of about $300,000 in compensation for lost gate revenue.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Not sure I read much by by either of them, certainly as they both seem to be SMH writers, Cully used to have a bit on stuff, but haven't noticed much lately. Though I don't tend to look for names etc too much, as I genuinely find it hard to see what are called rugby journalists and just some of them seem to find internet posts and take it as gospel and use that. (And not just in rugby)

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
So nearly half way through I anticipate

Top 4
Canes, Blues, Brumbies, Chiefs

Middle 4
Reds, Rebels, Crusaders, Drua

Bottom 4
Highlanders, Tahs, Force, Moana,

The only one I'm not fully sure about is Drua/Highlanders who I think will be 8th/9th

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
So nearly half way through I anticipate

Top 4
Canes, Blues, Brumbies, Chiefs

Middle 4
Reds, Rebels, Crusaders, Drua

Bottom 4
Highlanders, Tahs, Force, Moana,

The only one I'm not fully sure about is Drua/Highlanders who I think will be 8th/9th
Massive game for Rebels this weekend, get a win and they move to 23 points which has been mark to make the 8 the last 2 season

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The creation of a Club World Cup moved one step closer to becoming a reality after European executives signed an initial agreement to start the competition in 2028.

The Times understands that the organisers of the Investec Champions Cup, European Professional Club Rugby (EPCR), the northern hemisphere and South African clubs have agreed on key principles with their southern-hemisphere counterparts so it can begin in four years’ time.

The competition is not fully signed off but clubs on both sides of the globe want it to happen. “We are really motoring with it now,” a source said.

The tournament would do away with the latter stages of the Champions Cup every four years, so there would be no European champion that year. Instead, it would pitch the eight quarter-finalists against six top-ranked Super Rugby Pacific teams and two guest sides, probably from Japan.The competition would take place in a four-week block in June, with a round of 16, quarter-finals, semi-finals and final. The Gallagher Premiership, Top 14 and United Rugby Championship (URC) leagues would therefore finish in May to make room for the new competition before the summer Test window opens in July.

ed1f89225cf9979ebd077ea81c0f5c47.png

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
So top 6 from Super Rugby from end of May, even though the season isn't done? Or the season finishes then?

With this club comp and then July test window, it doesn't leave much room for Super rugby to continue.....

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Cool idea, but like all things in Rugby, poor execution.

The competition only runs every 4 years??? Fans won't give a crap about it. Just run it every year like football does.