• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2024 General Chat

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Been reading that kinda stuff since the year (1988, I think) TV2 started showing Winfield Cup highlights on a Monday night & televising the GF live. Can also remember the foundation CEO of the Warriors (came from AFL marketing & went back to AFL when the second set of owners fired him) declaring that within five years people wouldn't know who'd been around longer, Warriors or All Blacks. Marketing hype for sure but at the time there were those who nodded their head & said, yeah, it might take ten years but it'll happen for sure.

League used to be strong in areas (such as Taranaki per @Dan54's post but also West Coast (which used to host Test matches), suburban Christchurch, Northland & Bay of Plenty) where it's now non- or barely existent. Interestingly softball which was once the preferred summer sport for leaguies is also struggling in many of the same places.

The fact is that Loig is nowhere near the threat to men's rugby that basketball is: for the last three years at least male b'ball has had higher high school participation numbers than rugby & even if that doesn't translate to Club (which so far it doesn't seem to be) those are kids who aren't going to be playing rugby (or league).
Not talking grassroots, talking about the commercial appeal and tv audiences that continue to grow especially in the Gen Z demographic, and the subsequent fight for top tier talent that comes with ballooning salary caps.

NRLW is also an enormous threat to women's Rugby in the pacific, they’ve pillaged Australia Women’s Super Rugby teams as well as Aussie 7s fringe players, and the next natural talent pool is NZ, which has started already.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's similar in Aus. NRL isn't the main threat to Rugby - its AFL.

Yeah, been back in NZ for six years now but living in SEQ we had whanau with rugby-mad kids who ended up playing AFL because that was the only code sending people into primary schools in places like Marsden, Woodridge & Waterford with bags of footballs for the kids to have fun with at lunch-time. That said, plenty of them also went to b'ball & now they're at high school & back in NZ are either still playing b'ball or nothing at all as they've been left behind skills- & experience-wise for rugby.

Not talking grassroots, talking about the commercial appeal and tv audiences that continue to grow especially in the Gen Z demographic, and the subsequent fight for top tier talent that comes with ballooning salary caps.

NRLW is also an enormous threat to women's Rugby in the pacific, they’ve pillaged Australia Women’s Super Rugby teams as well as Aussie 7s fringe players, and the next natural talent pool is NZ, which has started already.

NRL audiences over here are largely Warriors-driven so, yeah, if they're having their once-in-a-decade "this is our year" season like this one was then ratings are through the roof. When they're propping up the bottom of the table, not so much. Sky keep pretty quiet about the actual numbers but I'm told the Super Rugby audience was up by around 10% this year & back to at least where they were pre-Covid & NRL is up only slightly: Warriors games get good numbers as do the other leading teams but practically no-one is watching e.g. Tigers v Bulldogs.

Agree wrt the women, hopefully WXV brings in enough revenue to make NRLW a less attractive option than it currently is.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Head in the sand if you think the NRL isn’t making commercial inroads in NZ and the kiwi supporter base in Australia, but yeah, laugh away. Lets just pretend Super Rugby is a comparative product.
Noone is suggesting that League doesn't have it supporters, but as WOB rightfully says , we been reading this since late 80s, and I have no doubt will read it a few more times, but genuinely if you live here in the country, I genuinely think you have a pretty good idea of how it is going.
If I believed everywrite up that has seen about the end of rugby in NZ, I would have had to find a new sport years ago.
In the meantime I will just go on watching and enjoying the game.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And the best news for the day is??
Roigard has extended his contract with the Canes until 2027!!!!

YEEHAA!

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Good to see the Drua re-sign a lot of their core players. I'm sure there would've been a bunch of French offers for substantially more.

In other news Irae Simone and Alex Newsome have each extended with Clermont for another two years.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Rivez Reihana heading to the 5/8 finishing school that is the CruSadists.
Well that's 2 10s from Chiefs region Crusaders will have, and were obviously in need of another one after Burke's injury. Also may explain Chiefs signing Jacomb from the Naki, after sending Kemara to Crusaders last year with too many 10s.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ryan Crotty has signed on for CruSadists & will be needed with Goodhue gone to France & Ennor's knee injury likely to keep him out for most of the season.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Rumour has it Manasa Mataele is also about to be announced as returning from WA which presumably means so too will his wife Martha which would be great news for Matatū's Super Rugby Aupiki campaign.

Last edited:

Tazzmania

Charlie Fox (21)
Rumour has it Manasa Mataele is also about to be announced as returning from WA which presumably means so too will his wife Martha which would be great news for Matatū's Super Rugby Aupiki campaign.
He was already farewelled by the Force at the end of the 2023 super rugby season and played for Canterbury in the NPC this year, so rumour is a very likely scenario

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ I knew they'd played a NPC & Farah Palmer Cup for Cantabs (& Martha now with Black Ferns) but not that they weren't going back to WA.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Aren't team naming deadlines a certain time before games? I thought had always been case and didn't know it had stopped.

Last edited:

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Neat.
Retiring Wales centurion Leigh Halfpenny is set for a surprise move to the Super Rugby champion Crusaders. It’s understood confirmation of his signature is expected in the coming days, potentially before the 34-year-old signs off his international career against the Scott Robertson-coached Barbarians in Cardiff this weekend.

A goal-kicking ace who predominantly plays fullback, Halfpenny racked up 801 points over 101 tests for Wales, and announced his looming international retirement after their World Cup exit in France last month.

"It’s all done," Halfpenny said ahead of his Millennium Stadium farewell. "I’ve got a contract for another season, and then we’ll see what happens after that. I’m looking for that to be announced next week."