• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2024 General Chat

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Throw in a potential new NRL team in Christchurch and NZRU will start to feel similar pressure to what the RA have faced for decades.

Might be enough to actually trigger a real decision of overhauling what professional rugby in Oceania looks like
NZR have faced same pressures for a while and always will.
I always remember when Warriors played their first game, Dean Lonergan on tv saying look at this people we are seeing death of rugby in NZ , now adays he is part of company (I think he still is) that promotes the Melbourne super round etc.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
On the reporter that wrote article, I can honestly say I have no idea , as this is first time I have noticed his name, but then again I ignore the Herald as a newspaper, kind of sensationist for me.

1 news = the Herald?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It does mirror Australia somewhat, in nz where an independent review showed the board not fit to run a professional sport and needed to be replaced, yet the board has chosen not to implicate that recommendation, RA anyone.

As alluded to by Dan54, current NZR board are moving towards an independent model per the review but the member Unions are digging their heels in. RUPA meanwhile want the current board to stand down immediately & replaced with an interim board that will in turn stand down when they've appointed the independent board. Not sure who they think should be on the interim board but it seems unnecessarily complicated to me.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Absolutely ridiculous that the Drua player that tried to rearrange Mafi’s nose via a headbutt only got 2 weeks. There has been players suspended this season for 4 weeks for an accidental high tackle. So strange

Reactions: dru

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
1000052296.png

Tahs v Reds on 31 May is shaping up to be a massive match if the Reds can't get their season back on track.

Last round, might be a playoff for the last finals spot

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
the press will always say its the Kiwi sides getting worse.
When we lose a lot more than we win - its because WE are getting worse.
to be fair the saders are miles off and dont look themselves - but heck we're getting the eyes picked out of our teams by Jail Rugby and Overseas Rugby - as long as we get a few back each year in return.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Bugger that. The last of the All Blacks golden generation aka Whitlock has retired.

New Zealand rugby are just falling back from the heights to reached to be mere mortals. Hopefully the same thing happens to the Saffers as it looks like the French and Irish are regressing back to their mean.

In other words, the World Rugby is ripe for Australian domination.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Could be a while before we see Tamaiti Williams: on top of his injury issues, as of 7/04 he's dad to a 630g (!) at birth, 13-weeks-premature baby girl. Insta post says all's well so hopefully that remains the case but I doubt footy is front his of mind right now.

Last edited:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Jack Mesley Appointed CEO of Super Rugby Pacific

The Super Rugby Pacific Board has appointed Jack Mesley the inaugural Chief Executive Officer of Super Rugby Pacific (SRP (Super Rugby Pacific)).

Sydney-based Mesley, who will commence in the role on 22 July, boasts more than 20 years of professional experience in marketing and operations, and currently holds the position of Chief Commercial Officer at Australian Professional A-Leagues.

Mesley said he was excited by the opportunity to engage with the competition and the fans, to help deliver the best possible entertainment product and to drive deeper engagement with the game.

“This is a monumental step for the unions and clubs to come together with a real intent to grow Super Rugby Pacific and put fans at the centre,” Mesley said.

“I am looking forward to working with closely with the Super Rugby Pacific clubs to understand their commonalities and differences, and to come together to ignite the flame for generations to come.”

A graduate of the University of Canberra, Jack has extensive and broad experience in driving fan engagement and achieving commercial outcomes. Prior to his role at the A-Leagues, Jack was the Chief Commercial Officer at NRL club Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs and spent nine years in brand and marketing at leading beverages company Lion.

Super Rugby Pacific Chair Kevin Malloy said Mesley’s strong marketing background and practical skillset made him ideally suited to the Super Rugby Pacific CEO role.

“What set Jack apart from a strong pool of candidates following a thorough search was his passion for rugby, his enthusiasm and a breadth of experience in both marketing and sports,” Malloy said.

“We were looking for someone who isn’t afraid to roll up their sleeves, given the joint venture is still relatively new. Jack sees the potential of the competition and wants to build on the success we’ve had to date. And he understands the need to form strong relationships with the broad range of stakeholders. We are really looking forward to having him onboard come July.”

BIO:
Jack Mesley is a commercially minded sport administrator who has a strong background in brand and marketing. With over 20 years of experience in building brands and driving business growth through sports and entertainment partnerships.

He is currently the Chief Commercial Officer at Australian Professional Leagues, home to the Isuzu UTE A-League Men, Liberty A-League Women and E-League.

Prior to A-Leagues, Jack was the Chief Commercial Officer at the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs and held various senior marketing and commercial positions at Lion, Diageo and the Asian PGA. Having held executive roles as both a sponsor and rights holder, Jack is uniquely placed to spearhead brand growth and maximise returns.

Jack is a passionate rugby fan, having played rugby for the Brumbies Under 19s while studying at the University of Canberra. He spends his weekends on the side-lines of grassroots rugby, with his son playing.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I don't know enough about him to have an informed opinion on this, but I'm not sure being CCO of A-League (and oversight of their marketing) is viewed that favourably at the moment.
Hard to tell how much blame for the A-League's issues falls to which individuals. It's not as though it's been a recent collapse though, the comp has been a basket case for a lot longer than 3 years.

As far as Mesley's record goes a history in rugby and a history of sports administration (and not just with the A-League) makes for pretty solid credentials. His over 10 years in marketing and sponsorship for Lion and Diego make for a great bonus too. One of the benefits of the unified competition management should be the opportunity to negotiate bigger and better overall sponsorships rather than the slapdash per country model of the past.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Hard to tell how much blame for the A-League's issues falls to which individuals. It's not as though it's been a recent collapse though, the comp has been a basket case for a lot longer than 3 years.

As far as Mesley's record goes a history in rugby and a history of sports administration (and not just with the A-League) makes for pretty solid credentials. His over 10 years in marketing and sponsorship for Lion and Diego make for a great bonus too. One of the benefits of the unified competition management should be the opportunity to negotiate bigger and better overall sponsorships rather than the slapdash per country model of the past.
A-league has even more insurmountable structural issues than Super Rugby.