• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2024: NZ, Drua & Moana matches

Wallabies

Frank Nicholson (4)
I hate to say it but Fiji drua are really just not a good team (at all). You can see in play to play, they’ve got no communication and are almost just guessing when they play. On top of that poor decisions like taking a shot at goal with ten left on clock and a yellow card about to expire?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I hate to say it but Fiji drua are really just not a good team (at all). You can see in play to play, they’ve got no communication and are almost just guessing when they play. On top of that poor decisions like taking a shot at goal with ten left on clock and a yellow card about to expire?

Has pretty much always been the case with PI teams. Brilliant footballers but too much individuality which is surprising given their cultures are based on community.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Hurricanes' last try a bit iffy. No 19 left the maul on the left hand side, ran around behind the ball carrier and rejoined the maul that split off to the right in front of the ball carrier. Penalty Drua.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Pretty happy about that as a Canes' man, but Aumua looks like a worrying injury. Thought maybe the Drua were a bit unlucky to not get the try where he was ruled held up, but I couldn't say it was on ground definitely. Drua when they really needed to use extra men decided to go through Canes which doesn't really work, as this is a pretty good defensive team. Thought Jordie was exceptional in defence tonight, he must be shattered.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I would of been surprised if it was made a red, Drua player was falling in tackle, and someone bringing him down around legs will almost always be only yellow.
Only if there is a sudden change in height. I could see it going either way, though he was very upright entering the tackle. Irony is it probably has more impact in terms of head collision than what McReight got weeks for.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep Mol, can go either way, but generally if player is tackled they don't get upgraded, but if needed he will be in front of panel anyway, I relaxed either way, and haven't even looked enough to see where first contact was.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Yep Mol, can go either way, but generally if player is tackled they don't get upgraded, but if needed he will be in front of panel anyway, I relaxed either way, and haven't even looked enough to see where first contact was.
If it's an accidental head contact in the process of the player being tackled, yes, tend to stay yellow. He was very upright and far from passive however with an arm that did swing into the Drua players head, so it doesn't look good in terms of consistency when compared to the other incidents that have been receiving higher sanctions.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Agree that they weren't very smart. Really lacked some leadership out there which is a shame because they could have made more of a game than the scoreline reflected.

They get a little white line fever at times and fail to build.

For the record I felt that he (forget the number of the Drua player) in all probability grounded the ball for the try which would have made it more of a game.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Have to say just watching replay , was quite impressed with the elbow on back of Flanders' head as he scored try.

Last edited:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ Procter (I think) got a decent shove in the back after scoring as well.

On the Kirifi carding I think if you take the other 'cane out of the equation it's at least as bad as the McReight one: the 'cane who went low didn't cause Kirifi to go high IMO, he was always way too upright & there was a swinging arm involved whereas there wasn't in the McReight case.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Soon after half time, on a kick return, Jordie made an identical upright tackle to the one which knocked Petaia out earlier this year.

Just luck we didn't have the same result. Tackle school hasn't worked for him

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
^ Procter (I think) got a decent shove in the back after scoring as well.

On the Kirifi carding I think if you take the other 'cane out of the equation it's at least as bad as the McReight one: the 'cane who went low didn't cause Kirifi to go high IMO, he was always way too upright & there was a swinging arm involved whereas there wasn't in the McReight case.
Yeah it was super duper red but, you know, Paul Williams lol.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Understand what you saying WOB, but you can't take other Cane out of equation, as the player would of been more upright if he wasn't being tackled. The thing is all things HAVE to be considered surely.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Saw another way of punishment today. Just got home from rugby, went to Kaponga (3rd div rugby) player was sinbinned for Kaponga, so it cost him a crate from the bar for the team. None of this pussy stubbies but a crate of big bottles (or tallies for Aussies), and the price of big bottles has just gone up at the club, they are now $8 each!!!!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Understand what you saying WOB, but you can't take other Cane out of equation, as the player would of been more upright if he wasn't being tackled. The thing is all things HAVE to be considered surely.
He didn't drop suddenly or anything. I can't fathom how that isn't a red. It was shoulder to the head which is red every time these days.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
He didn't drop suddenly or anything. I can't fathom how that isn't a red. It was shoulder to the head which is red every time these days.
As I said in the one where Slipper only got yc , it's not just direct to head, but in all cases mitigating factors are taken into account,and usually a player being tackled and so changing direction is taken into account, whether wrongly or rightly. And I am quite happy if the citing commissioner take it further.