• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Au Rnd 4 - Brumbies V Reds Gio Stad Canberra 13Mar

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Having rewatched the game, I thought it was an very high quality game of rugby from both the players and officials, it flowed nicely and had a variety of exciting attacking play and pressure building attack. Whilst there were mistakes, overall it was a good advertisement for the game.

Nic Berry is a very good referee IMO, he understands the game and more importantly understands his role in the game. Communicates effectively with the players and let’s sufficient advantage play out.
Berry also appears to have concerns about what the paying fans want, they want player playing, not having a rest at every stop in play.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
can’t you just be happy a high quality game of rugby was played?

Adam, if you read my comments pre-game, I thought the Reds would win this game because of the loss of firepower in the Brumbies front row. That is pretty much as it panned out, only the margin was 2 where I'd expected something like 8 - 10.

It was a cracking game. My feelings of disappointment come from the fact the Brumbies led for almost the entire match before falling at the final hurdle. I am sure that one of these sides will win the SRAu comp, but at this stage I wouldn't be able to say which one.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Was out last night, so only managed to catch it this afternoon. Fuck that was a great game.

If the Brumbies had AAA and less injuries, they might have held on, but the Reds deserved that.

Reactions: dru

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
“It was a great contest. It’d be nice to be sitting in the stands as a neutral ’cause that’s what rugby needs: 78 points, five tries to four,” McKellar said.

“A really strong rivalry is developing between us and the Reds. I know it’s always been there but between these two teams in particular. They’re playing with a really positive mindset. We went out to the same.

“I thought Nic Berry was outstanding in managing the game. His comments to the players, his decisions at key times. “So there’s a lot to like about it from a rugby point of view.”

Really admirable sportsmanship from Dan McKellar, this man just oozes class & professionalism.

To come out after a loss & give equal credit to both the ref's performance & the opposition is sure sign of a quality individual.

Yes to all of that. Mad respect for his praise of Nic Berry. I too thought he had an excellent game last night.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
At the start of the game I felt like Berry was going to his perceived habit of skinning the Reds to eliminate the element of bias that fans in the past had cooed about due to his time as a player in QLD. But re-watching the game and his decisions were all valid.

He's the top Aussie ref now for sure in my books, and it was telling that he was picked to attend the last RWC, I believe as their least experienced referee. Got a taste of being involved with the big dance. I hope he stays this good.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I'm liking the coverage on the ABC news service. Maybe it was always there and I didn't notice, but it sure is in 2021.

When there is a game in Canberra, Tim Gable always gives the ABC some good coverage. Bear in mind that we have had a virtual monopoly for the last few weeks, with the NRL only starting this weekend: that might explain a bit of the extra coverage. Unfortunately it will disappear, as the big boys rev their publicity machines up to full bore.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Very few people come away from that game with their reputation diminished. JOC (James O'Connor) was arguably the man of the match, though you could make a case for five others.

Rob Valetini continues to perplex me. He was phenomenal with ball in hand, played 80, plenty of tackles. But there are head scratching moments too. On Vunivalu's try he was flat footed, didn't chase at all, no effort. He drops a critical ball in the 75th from the kick off.

I want him to be the next long-term Wallaby 6, I think he's got it in him. But I wonder if the coaches see these things as well, and wonder if he's got the engine to really make it at test level.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
A lucky one that's for sure.

We do make it hard for ourselves sometime. Suli shockingly exposed in D - mate you have one job without the ball in your hand :mad:

JOC (James O'Connor) showed why everyone was goo goo when he was 19. Absolutely sublime. A real shame we didn't have this JOC (James O'Connor) consistently in the intervening years. The difference between the sides.

How good is Zander? Wow the improvement in just 1 year is amazing.

Pigs on both sides were immense but my shout out to the unsung hero, ASY (Angus Scott-Young).

Brumbies continue to conjure tries from nowhere though they're not utilising their backs to full advantage yet. I want endeavour.

A lot for QLD to improve on but I'll take the win it's been a long time between drinks.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think both teams come out with confidence.. Qld they won in Canberra .. ACT only really got mualed after the front row swapped.. rematch at Suncorp could be interesting..

Reds can only play the guys put out against them. Young front rowers will learn alot go home work there butts off.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think both teams come out with confidence.. Qld they won in Canberra .. ACT only really got mualed after the front row swapped.. rematch at Suncorp could be interesting..

Reds can only play the guys put out against them. Young front rowers will learn alot go home work there butts off.
I’m reminded of a few years ago when 5-6 Qld outside backs got injured and the had to debut Jock Campbell

Turned out ok

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

I think rematch will be a blinder , and if there not a bloody good crowd I will go heave.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Newscorp I believe have made their only rugby journo redundant in the tabloids section. But quite frankly, who gives a shit, who reads the tabloids anymore anyway. Most of their news' audience growth is in the Australian which still covers rugby via decent writers like Wayne Smith.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
The SMH and nine.com.au also have far bigger online reaches, are less likely to be paywalled, and are more likely to be consumed by demographics which have a higher likelihood of being a potential Rugby fan (university degree etc). Newscorp drops former allies pretty quickly, look at how quickly they punted Trump, and obviously the feud with Rudd. Not surprising they've all but decided we don't exist

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Newscorp I believe have made their only rugby journo redundant in the tabloids section. But quite frankly, who gives a shit, who reads the tabloids anymore anyway. Most of their news' audience growth is in the Australian which still covers rugby via decent writers like Wayne Smith.

Unfortunately, this may too come to pass...