• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby in Buenos Aires by 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Army_Gav

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...tions-experience/story-e6frg7o6-1226130922768
In the short term, ensuring a smooth access to players is vital. Many Argentinians are based in England and France. Over time, there will be an exodus, back home or to the Super 15. The retraction has already begun. The ultimate goal is a Super rugby franchise in Buenos Aires by 2015. Meetings have been held with the Top 14 in France and others are planned with Premier Rugby.

Agustin Pichot laying some ground work for a 16th franchise.

It would make for an interesting draw, tough campaign.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
That would throw a spanner in the works of the conference system but I would be happy for an Americas conference to be established.

Searsy

Herbert Moran (7)
Logistically, it seems a stretch to have a team in B.A. I think it works for the Tri (Quad) - Nations only because it is a shorter competition. I would think a stand alone competition should be established in the Americas. Assume 3 teams from Argentina, 1 from Uruguay, 2 from USA and 2 from Canada. The problem I suppose would be with BA club rugby teams which I believe are still holding onto amateurism.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
the competition is too f**kin massive as it is and adding south america would be a logistical nightmare . The travel costs(let alone jet lag) would murder the current teams (aru already demanded $10M for 4 nations compensation), let alone Buenos Aires who would would have all their away games on the other side of the world. i would much prefer to see them build up there own domestic competition by first knocking out the old heads hanging on to amateurism so they can attract their better players home and then have some cross continent championship with the top 2 teams from the other three 'sanzaar' leagues. if they really have to play super rugby open three spots in each team that are open for argentinean imports, they should be doing that for PI's anyway.......

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
the competition is too f**kin massive as it is and adding south america would be a logistical nightmare . The travel costs(let alone jet lag) would murder the current teams (aru already demanded $10 for 4 nations compensation), let alone Buenos Aires who would would have all their away games on the other side of the world. i would much prefer to see them build up there own domestic competition by first knocking out the old heads hanging on to amateurism so they can attract their better players home and then have some cross continent championship with the top 2 teams from the other three 'sanzaar' teams. if they really have to play super rugby open three spots in each team that are open for argentinean imports, they should be doing that for PI's anyway.......

Things must be pretty bad at the ARU...

I've got a spare $10 I can loan them if the Argies want a team in SupeRugby as well?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
The conference system is set up so each conference can expand. The saffas have already talked about the southern kings coming in to there's meaning au and NZ teams would miss playing two teams.

I don't think it will be to long til south Africa and friends only meet NZ and aus teams at finals time

A

Army_Gav

The conference system is set up so each conference can expand. The saffas have already talked about the southern kings coming in to there's meaning au and NZ teams would miss playing two teams.

I don't think it will be to long til south Africa and friends only meet NZ and aus teams at finals time
From what I've heard, that would be a promotion/relegation style system using the Currie Cup.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
as I've said before, we're moving rapidly towards a system based on domestic series with the H Cup finals being around. Theres no doubt that this is happening and was the plan. In reality, if the currie cup was structured properly to have the premier division with 6 teams and the other with 8, then if you eventually include the southern spears or kings or whatever you have the currie cup first division running in super rugby. Australia already has all their boys in there. though this should be widdled down.

we conclude that 1. individual branding for each conference would do wonders in terms of creating a more tribal atmosphere to the conferences and bringing in individual trophies which just arent mini super rugby trophies would help too.

2. Argentina could easily be included if they raised capital from somewhere to start off their own conference as a whole.

Attachments

• Unión Argentina de Rugby associate unions cut.pdf
    316.9 KB · Views: 656

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
If we could finally get to the stage where we have individual tournaments and a H cup that would be awesome and probably the best model for including foreign domestic teams outside sanzaar.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
as I've said before, we're moving rapidly towards a system based on domestic series with the H Cup finals being around. Theres no doubt that this is happening and was the plan. In reality, if the currie cup was structured properly to have the premier division with 6 teams and the other with 8, then if you eventually include the southern spears or kings or whatever you have the currie cup first division running in super rugby. Australia already has all their boys in there. though this should be widdled down.

we conclude that 1. individual branding for each conference would do wonders in terms of creating a more tribal atmosphere to the conferences and bringing in individual trophies which just arent mini super rugby trophies would help too.

2. Argentina could easily be included if they raised capital from somewhere to start off their own conference as a whole.

Interesting pdf file. It says there are only 24 provinces but I read somewhere there are 32? Either way you can condense them into 4 geographical regions each with 6 or 8 provinces.

I think the only way having them in the comp will work is if you have a two 10 team conferences, Atlantic and Pacific. Which would probably mean 6 saffa teams and 4 argies or 8 saffa teams and 2 argies, maybe the ratio could change over time?

The atlantic conference would be significantly weaker to begin with than a combined aus/nz conference but it would come up to speed over time. I think this is the best solution going forward. Especially since you could have atlantic v pacific all-stars games.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
it's 6000km from buenos aires to cape town and 8000km to durban. that's comparable to playing in Pakistan if you were a western force fan. the distance is just as massive for a 'domestic' competition. imagine if an aus team had a game against the bulls one week and had to play in argentina sometime in the next two weeks, jet lag would kill them. the same issues come up when people sugest japan (which already has it's own pro league anyway) or US, too far and too expensive. if they have to be involved, then have a continental cup with them after our own domestic competitions are wrapped up.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The Argies played in our Vodacom Cup and won the competition despite settling at Potch and 2010 in Stellenbosch. Surely they need to play S100 rugby. They can play in the Aus conferense and SA and NZ can produce one more team to get to a S18 competion.

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
Completely agree.

We should stop trying to create a super competition (pardon the awful pun) and instead try to foster as many independent pro comps in as many parts of the world as we can.

Second this.

Current three nations system works well for super rugby. Any further expansion is going to make it logistically impossible. In addition, the simple truth is that there is no way of fast-tracking these other nations up to tri-nations standard. Trying to include them will make it a two-tier style comp.

Like every other game, rugby in other nations will have to grow from the ground up. IRB has to invest time and money into individual nations and take a long-term (i.e decades long) view.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Second this.

Current three nations system works well for super rugby. Any further expansion is going to make it logistically impossible. In addition, the simple truth is that there is no way of fast-tracking these other nations up to tri-nations standard. Trying to include them will make it a two-tier style comp.

Like every other game, rugby in other nations will have to grow from the ground up. IRB has to invest time and money into individual nations and take a long-term (i.e decades long) view.

Did you think the same way when they change a much better S14 to the S15 one year back?

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think the best way to introduce them is to have an Americas conference with 5 teams (2x Arg, 1x Ura, 1x US, 1x Can) so it jumps to S20.

I wonder if the SANZAR nations could fund a couple of pro teams with a defined handover to the Arg Rugby at a certain date.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Did you think the same way when they change a much better S14 to the S15 one year back?
Super 15 is by far the best Rugby competition I have seen, but this may be because the Reds have won it every year:lmao:

I like the conference system, but would like to see a longer season. But as an Aussie I realise that this will damage the domestic comps in NZ and RSA

Status
Not open for further replies.