• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rd 3: Brumbies v Waratahs in Canberra

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I’m a bit salty too, the refereeing was disgraceful. What I am very proud of is how composed the Waratahs players were after every woeful decision, never a complaint, just cop it and get on with the job. This isn’t going to be our year but I’m looking forward to the future.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.. Ref clearly trying to let the Tah's into the game..
I like that you can joke about it, means you acknowledge it
The Tahs have come along way. Enjoyable game watching them fight their way back. Good last 30 minutes from Donaldson. Perese outstanding.
Has to be the front runner for the Wallabies 13 right now, a lot can change in 3 months, but Ikitau should be nervous

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
Newsome is utter dogshit.
Imagine coaching a team to win the comp while knowing your fullback can’t catch the ball, doesn’t want to tackle and has no discernible x-factor whatsoever

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Brumbies too much experience in the end - their ability to play territory is key, using the poor discipline of their opposition in this case.

They are well drilled and have the knack of accelerating phase play when they get a sniff of a gap. It is something that comes with experience and time together. Their younger guys have a safe space to come on and play their game, knowing they've still got a core around them who know how to rescue things if it goes a bit pear-shaped.

The score was reflective of the low-risk game they wanted to play. Get out of your end, take the points on offer, drive the maul. Not much required from the backline except the odd individual effort like SImone.

Tahs basically didn't fire a shot for the first half, and while they'll be happy to take a BP, I think Coleman probably realises the scoreline was flattering; the result of a 2nd half lift from his team, and the Brumbies bench disrupting their momentum at 24-6 up with 25 to play.

Bell's try was good - based on marching up the field off a Brumbies lineout fail (that was the result of Wright fooling the AR, so ... good!), and then riding a couple of penalties upfield. The best bit was not just rolling the dice on Swain's blatant professional foul; we kept running phase play until Donaldson hit a hole created by AAA stepping in instead of holding his spot, and the pop to Bell showed good awareness.

Harris' try was a bit more fortunate but the sort of thing you'd see from a Kiwi side: taking an opportunity presented. Donaldson again spotted a couple of forwards out wide (Frost the main culprit) and cut them up before releasing the eighth man. Harris burned Lolesio and Banks didn't have the size or pace to stop him.

One win and two BP losses is far better than what we had last year. While I'm not exactly jumping for joy, it is something to build on.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Newsome is utter dogshit.
Imagine coaching a team to win the comp while knowing your fullback can’t catch the ball, doesn’t want to tackle and has no discernible x-factor whatsoever
I thought it was a bit harsh too, he’s done pretty well all things considering.

i think he’s a good man to have on the bench. Harrison didn’t shower himself in glory tonight but he wasn’t awful either, so hopefully he has got that ‘rust’ out of the system. It will be interesting to see what DC does next week.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I thought it was a bit harsh too, he’s done pretty well all things considering.

i think he’s a good man to have on the bench. Harrison didn’t shower himself in glory tonight but he wasn’t awful either, so hopefully he has got that ‘rust’ out of the system. It will be interesting to see what DC does next week.

Newsome didn't catch everything - tricky in those conditions - and gave away two pretty silly penalties. The latter being the issue.