• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rd 3: Brumbies v Waratahs in Canberra

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yes and I get that you've let a lot of them in here. I'm sure you (as a group) didn't mean to and I'm not going to take it personally.

However, you're really holding back the quality content I can bring when the muse takes me.
Shiggins is back for force games, you really want to let him post more then every 30 seconds... we dont have the bandwidth

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I’ll be interested to know what complaints Brumby Runner has with Berry tonight.
I still rate him the poorest of any of the Aus refs, just behind Murphy. Neither are consistent, good or bad.

Despite Pfitzy's protestations, though, I reckon he did get most of the scrums right. The Tahs pack was wheeling around their LH side on most occasions.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Samu only gets a look in for the Wallabies because of McKellar yeah? Harris and Wilson have been outplaying him over the first three rounds.
Harris is much improved this year and Wilson is back to his best, but really they are both competing for the 6 and 8 spots where Leota and Valetini were best last year and are the incumbents. Samu gets the nod for a bench spot probably because he can play all three back row positions.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Ok fellas, another game where I filed to see whole game through , went to bed at oranges 11pm is getting a little late for me, and I got golf this morning (not that sleep helps me be any good). Have to say I certainly didn't go because of quality of gamr, which I thought was pretty ok. And one thing I was thinking as I watched game, although Brumbies were clearly on top, if I was a Tah's man, I wouldn't be cutting my wrists, they showing signs of real inprovement, I get the impression when the young ones get another season or so under belts you will have something to shout about.
As a neutral who just loves the game , it makes me happy to see teams on the up!!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Harris is much improved this year and Wilson is back to his best, but really they are both competing for the 6 and 8 spots where Leota and Valetini were best last year and are the incumbents. Samu gets the nod for a bench spot probably because he can play all three back row positions.
Harris making a case for wallaby consideration. Could you look at Valetini at 6, Harris at 8. Valetini yes a definite starter in wallaby pack but could be 6 or 8. After him a lot of contenders for backrow spots ie Wilson, Harris, Leota, Anstee and Samu. I would probably pick leota and Wilson ahead of Samu for bench spot at this point.

Last edited:

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Tahs first half was pretty poor, a lot better in the second half. The Brumbies, while imo didn't show much more than the Tahs in attack or defence, are a mile ahead in discipline, composure and game management. They are a very well drilled side, they don't give an opponent any free shots, they all know their role very well.
The Tahs, on the other hand, probably showed more attacking flair, and generally defended pretty well, however ill-discipline and lack of composure cost them dearly. Whenever on attack, they would turn the ball over, then quickly give away two consecutive penalties to march the Brumbies back up the other end of the field. This was the pattern of last year, however the positive sign is that now they don't concede a try every time they do it. Coleman is going to have to fix this if they ever expect to beat good teams.
For the Brumbies I thought Valetini was outstanding, Slipper got on top of HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Frost was strong, White controlled things very well and Simone played one of the best games I've seen from him
For the Tahs Bell was a monster again, Perese had a huge game and completely outshone Ikatau, Sinclair is a real work-horse and Harris was very good but needs to clean up some silly mistakes. Donaldson was real rocks and diamonds last night.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Harris making a case for wallaby consideration. Could you look at Valetini at 6, Harris at 8. Valetini yes a definite starter in wallaby pack but could be 6 or 8. After him a lot of contenders for backrow spots ie Wilson, Harris, Leota, Anstee and Samu. I would probably pick leota and Wilson ahead of Samu for bench spot at this point.
Harris has suddenly jumped Wilson and Samu for wallaby starter?

Marce

John Thornett (49)
The score was reflective of the low-risk game they wanted to play. Get out of your end, take the points on offer, drive the maul. Not much required from the backline except the odd individual effort like SImone.

Tahs basically didn't fire a shot for the first half, and while they'll be happy to take a BP, I think Coleman probably realises the scoreline was flattering; the result of a 2nd half lift from his team, and the Brumbies bench disrupting their momentum at 24-6 up with 25 to play.
So, it was like the average Wallabies-England game is the last years. Brumbies (English style) vs Tahs (Aussie style)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Harris has suddenly jumped Wilson and Samu for wallaby starter?
Nah just speculating if he kept improving what this could look like and adding my tah bias. Wilson and Samu ahead but wishful thinking that Harris could maybe get there with continued improvement.

ps I am back on the tahs bandwagon so expect to see my team of the week and wallaby selections loaded with a majority of tahs players

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I still rate him the poorest of any of the Aus refs, just behind Murphy. Neither are consistent, good or bad.

I would rate Murphy behind Berry. The latter seems to have an issue with scrums but is generally OK elsewhere. Damon never fills me with confidence because he never looks confident himself.