• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rd 5, - Reds v Jaguares - 18/3 - 7.40am Buenos Aires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Team has arrived in Argentina.

Great to see Ready get a spot on tour particularly after the debacle on the Suncorp big screen.
Love to see him get a bench spot - he would be fired up. His style of play also compliments what Thorn has done in the forwards.

Hopefully the Argies never start the game like they did last week.

Centre pairing worked well against the Bulls so expect the same (Duncan on the bench again).

Actually I cannot see any changes being made at all to the starting 15.

Reds by 12

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I'm half expecting Rodda or Douglas to move to the bench for a slight rest and promoting Hockings, both Douglas and Rodda look gassed and have been 'Doin' Work' the last few games. Not sure if they'll come off the bench this game or the next, otherwise I'd expect a small injury to one of them in the next few weeks.

Also Korczyk might make way for ASY (Angus Scott-Young) as he gives a little more at the breakdown and is a slightly bigger body while still being efficient in the lineout -- particularly since the Reds don't look to be contesting the defensive lineout as much as I would have thought, given that's the Korczyk biggest strength; but if your plan is to bring back Higgers to start, you probably don't make this move and wait to see how they go against the Jags and slot him in wherever he fits best.

Either of these are maybe 30% likely at best, I don't 'expect' them, just the possible moves I can see.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
You won't rest until we have a team full of teenagers will you zero?

It's not like we have anyone other than teenages in the squad to pick from. :p

Also I'll have you know Angus Scott-Young 20 not 19!
But Korczyk will be the one to make way for Higgers.

Edit: Also I completely spaced on Tui coming back once we get back from tour, they'll probably switch up the locks then.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think it's a big ask for the Reds to win away games yet, and the Jaguares looked pretty complete the other night so I doubt the reds will win.

But I just hope the reds keep on improving like they have done the last two weeks.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Team has arrived in Argentina.

Great to see Ready get a spot on tour particularly after the debacle on the Suncorp big screen.
Love to see him get a bench spot - he would be fired up. His style of play also compliments what Thorn has done in the forwards.

Hopefully the Argies never start the game like they did last week.

Centre pairing worked well against the Bulls so expect the same (Duncan on the bench again).

Actually I cannot see any changes being made at all to the starting 15.

Reds by 12

If the Reds play like the Waratahs even then I don't see a repeat of a try in 17 seconds. Unfortunately for the Waratahs, that might have deflated them somewhat.
They had it a bit harder coming off flying from Sydney to Durban, then on to Buenos Aires, and seeing themselves scored against before they even worked out what country they were in.
Also, if the Jaguares should get behind earlier in the game, they have a tendancy to lose their mojo, giving off penalties willy nelly.
I think if the Reds can sort them out in the early scrums, they're stuffed.
And yeah I know, if my uncle had tits, then she'd be my aunt. (am I allowed to post that here:eek:)

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I actually think the Reds are a good shot in this game. The Jags wont like the way we play as it will be hard work for them.

Our direct running through the backs will probably suit this game too. it would be good to see some back reserves used but I understand you don't always change things when the game is close.

If we are to win a game on tour it will be this one.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
[quote="emuarse, post: 994369, member: 4126"

And yeah I know, if my uncle had tits, then she'd be my aunt. (am I allowed to post that here:eek:)[/quote]

Nah, it's OK now with the new legislative changes a coming (or here now)

T

TOCC

It's not like we have anyone other than teenages in the squad to pick from. :p

Also I'll have you know Angus Scott-Young 20 not 19!
But Korczyk will be the one to make way for Higgers.

Edit: Also I completely spaced on Tui coming back once we get back from tour, they'll probably switch up the locks then.

Korczyk has been playing the tight physical game, you don’t drop him for Higgers as I think that leaves the back row unbalanced. Wright doesn’t have the frame to play the tight physical role yet, maybe in another 12 months. ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is similar to Wright, he doesn’t have the frame to play the role that Korczyk has been playing.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Korczyk has been playing the tight physical game, you don’t drop him for Higgers as I think that leaves the back row unbalanced. Wright doesn’t have the frame to play the tight physical role yet, maybe in another 12 months. ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is similar to Wright, he doesn’t have the frame to play the role that Korczyk has been playing.

I do think ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is a little bigger than Wright, but I agree neither of them are as big as Korczyk. I expect (pending performances against the Jaguars) Thorn will drop Korczyk leaving us with 6) Higgers, 7) Wright, 8) Timu.
I don't think that's going to get us the best results I feel like the best backline would be 6) Timu 7) Korczyk 8) Higgers (with Timu moving to to 8 for defencive scrums, he doesn't defend well on the flank yet).

While it's unlikely I wouldn't hate at some point seeing Tui playing at 6/8 at some point -- pretty sure he played at the back of the scrum when he was playing Rugby League. Obviously that would depend on Hockings/Blyth really stepping up forcing the shift. I suspect Tui will eventually be tried at 6 by Cheika for the Wallabies. He loves a random lock in the back row... because reasons, at least it won't be Mumm anymore, and please god not Hanigan!

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
You won't rest until we have a team full of teenagers will you zero?

I'd like to ask Zero how old he is, as I'm sure he feels players like Lance are Grandfathers. Lance is probably 5 years younger than me so I'd like to think he has a lot left. He has been very good for the Reds and I'm sure youngsters like Stewart will do similar things given time learning the trade

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Perhaps Zero is Thron as Quade is 30 in 3 weeks so, better put him out to stud and not even consider picking him!

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
The Reds are a much better chance going into this than the Tahs with some guys who can bend the line. One of the Tahs biggest problems was most of the time the pack got nowhere near getting over the advantage line and there weren’t any hard runners in the centres so they chanced their arm a lot out wide and conceded a number of turnovers eventually leading to tries. Guys like Tupou, Timu and Kerevi should allow the Reds to get over the advantage line in tight reducing the Jaguares ability to pounce on 50-50 balls thrown out wide and turn it into points.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I'd like to ask Zero how old he is, as I'm sure he feels players like Lance are Grandfathers. Lance is probably 5 years younger than me so I'd like to think he has a lot left. He has been very good for the Reds and I'm sure youngsters like Stewart will do similar things given time learning the trade

Jesus, so apparently I'm a 16 year old actuary?! LOL

Lance is a nice player, but he's not going ot be here for the long term.

T

TOCC

^^^^^
So for the African game do you drop Wright for Korczyk to bring Higgers in (at 6 or 8)

For the Stormers, i think the Reds stick with the power game and go with Higgers at 6, Korczyk at 7 and keep Timu at 8. Bring Wright off the bench. Korczyk has the high workmate and makes quite a number of dominant tackles. I think that will be needed against Carr and Kolisi.

Reactions: dru

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Looking forward to seeing how the Reds handle this one. I agree with the comments above that the attributes of the team and the style they are playing may well turn out to match up well against the Jaguares. But it is an away game and the opposition is in form whilst the Reds, although ticking a lot of boxes, are really a young team on the rise.

But the most dangerous player on a rugby field is often the young bloke who is too young/inexperienced to worry about who is on the other team.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
But the most dangerous player on a rugby field is often the young bloke who is too young/inexperienced to worry about who is on the other team.

The kid too young and inexperienced to know they are supposed to lose!

Reactions: TSR
Status
Not open for further replies.