• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rd 5, - Reds v Jaguares - 18/3 - 7.40am Buenos Aires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Will be interesting to see the bench this week.

Reds have taken Ruan and Lucas on the tour.
Does Sef get the flick to make way for Smith (sort of unfair really as Sef has ha no opportunity behind Thor) ?
Have always said Lucas is a great bench option as he covers 9, 10, 12 and 15.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The other bloke on tour who is going to get time either this week or next is Andrew Ready.

After the shit he has gone through in the last couple of weeks, he would be primed to play the house down and gets Thorn's nod of approval.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
The other bloke on tour who is going to get time either this week or next is Andrew Ready.

After the shit he has gone through in the last couple of weeks, he would be primed to play the house down and gets Thorn's nod of approval.

God I hope Ready plays. Not sure if it's because Thorn has no other options or because Ready is finally meeting his standards, btu either way Andrew Ready is a brilliant thing for our forward pack. He'll likely improve our scrum, and is so good over the ball. He'll definitely be useful against the Stormers to counter them.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The position Ready would take I think would be reserve hooker not the starter.
He has been good and formed a good unit with Slips and the Thor.

So Mafi might get the chop AND he's been playing pretty well from the bench.

If Ready is chosen (this week or next) and he plays very well, Mafi might have to push hard just for the bench spot

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
The position Ready would take I think would be reserve hooker not the starter.
He has been good and formed a good unit with Slips and the Thor.

So Mafi might get the chop AND he's been playing pretty well from the bench.

If Ready is chosen (this week or next) and he plays very well, Mafi might have to push hard just for the bench spot

Oh, I have no doubt Ready would need to climb off the bench first (baring injury). I do think Mafi has been a bit of a wicket keeper thus far this season, if you haven't noticed him he's probably doing a decent job.
But I do think at his best Andrew Ready is probably the best hooker in Australia.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Reds are starting to look a bit like the young side in 2010/2011 who improved just about every game to eventually take out the comp. They might not go the whole way with this squad (but they might), but I think they are real chances to win the next two games on tour.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reds are starting to look a bit like the young side in 2010/2011 who improved just about every game to eventually take out the comp. They might not go the whole way with this squad (but they might), but I think they are real chances to win the next two games on tour.

yeah, let's not get ahead of ourselves, but that's a valid point.

In 2011 we had that ugly win v the Force in Rnd 1 and then got hammered v the Tahs in Rnd 2 (ala the Rebels this year) and then a tough win over the Brumbies.

But it was after the bye the next round that set us on track for the title. Trashings of the Rebels and Cheetahs, followed by wins in SAF against the Lions and Stormers were season defining.

If we come back from this trip with 2 wins, that's when we can start talking finals.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)

Whoa! Whoa there Brumby!

I'm pretty fond of the young kids, and I'm optimistic as fuck but even I don't think they might win the comp. At a minimum not with Lance at 10, we just won't have the attack from our backline. Maybe Stewart will play even better than he did in NRC, Timu will start playing like Vunipola, Rodda and Timu will be the next 'Whitelock and Retalic' and Tupou will click his heels three times and get some ruby red boots that turn him into the best Tight Head in World Rugby... Even if all those things happen (and they won't, expect maybe Tupou) I still don't think they would win the comp.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I didn't say they'd win the comp (at least not this year) but I do expect they will be very competitive in the next two games and will be a very good chance of returning with two wins under the belt.

glass half full

Sydney Middleton (9)
“ one game at a time” is a mantra that seems to be serving them well..shouldn’t change. It’s quite amazing how powerful attitude is.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Whoa! Whoa there Brumby!

I'm pretty fond of the young kids, and I'm optimistic as fuck but even I don't think they might win the comp. At a minimum not with Lance at 10, we just won't have the attack from our backline. Maybe Stewart will play even better than he did in NRC, Timu will start playing like Vunipola, Rodda and Timu will be the next 'Whitelock and Retalic' and Tupou will click his heels three times and get some ruby red boots that turn him into the best Tight Head in World Rugby. Even if all those things happen (and they won't, expect maybe Tupou) I still don't think they would win the comp.

Hey Zero
Did Lance once kick you in the nuts down at the Valley one night ?:)

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Hey Zero
Did Lance once kick you in the nuts down at the Valley one night ?:)

I just really struggle to see the advantage of starting someone who isn't going to be here next year when you have a young replacement (many think clone) who will be. I mean I could understand if we were on the verge of making the grand final, but best case for us is making the finals and getting an upset. Lance just makes no sense for us in our current situation, and he's stunting the development of Stewart and/or Paia'aua if we don't see them getting some significant time over the next two games.

I do think Lance is playing well, he just is killing any backline attack. He really should be playing 15.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I just really struggle to see the advantage of starting someone who isn't going to be here next year when you have a young replacement (many think clone) who will be. I mean I could understand if we were on the verge of making the grand final, but best case for us is making the finals and getting an upset. Lance just makes no sense for us in our current situation, and he's stunting the development of Stewart and/or Paia'aua if we don't see them getting some significant time over the next two games.

I do think Lance is playing well, he just is killing any backline attack. He really should be playing 15.

we are not trying to win next year, we are trying to win this year. Pick your best team now.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Remember how Beau Robinson came back (leaving NSW) when he had the chance (Qld)? Ready NEEDS to take this opportunity with both hands by the throat and throttle the shit out of it.

And he can.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
we are not trying to win next year, we are trying to win this year. Pick your best team now.

Quade?

It is not a squad picked to peak in 2018. Team picks from out of that squad you might be right. Thorn is no doubt trying to win each game. The year? I don't think so. Longer term planning happening in my view.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Quade?

It is not a squad picked to peak in 2018. Team picks from out of that squad you might be right. Thorn is no doubt trying to win each game. The year? I don't think so. Longer term planning happening in my view.

Yeah, this is right on what my concerns are, we need to be either picking for right now (surely Quade), or picking for the future (Stewart). In my opinion, Lance should only really be in the side to ease the transition into Super Rugby for Stewart; we are yet to see him fill that role as Stewart has yet to get on the field.
What else is concerning is we are potentially yanking Paia'aua for no real reason other than our flyhalf rental isn't able get the best out of him.

Reactions: dru

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Quade?

It's not about peaking this year. It's about picking the best team to win this year. It seems pretty clear that is what Thorn is doing.

Not picking QC (Quade Cooper) does not indicate he isn't doing that. QC (Quade Cooper) may be 10 times more naturally talented than Jono, and you will not get many bigger QC (Quade Cooper) fans than I, but every Jono does he does more consistently than QC (Quade Cooper) has in recent years. QC (Quade Cooper) did some brilliant stuff last year, but gees he did some diabolical stuff.

T

TOCC

Quade was consistently inconsistent post 2013.. no coach has been able to effectively get the best out of Quade since Link and his coaching team, we blame the injuries and the confidence, but for me the missing link is having the right coach which suits quades style and temperament.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
It's not about peaking this year. It's about picking the best team to win this year. It seems pretty clear that is what Thorn is doing.

Not picking QC (Quade Cooper) does not indicate he isn't doing that. QC (Quade Cooper) may be 10 times more naturally talented than Jono, and you will not get many bigger QC (Quade Cooper) fans than I, but every Jono does he does more consistently than QC (Quade Cooper) has in recent years. QC (Quade Cooper) did some brilliant stuff last year, but gees he did some diabolical stuff.

Agree wholeheartedly. I think BT is looking at each game at a time and that includes picking players. Last week he couldn't sing Lance's praises enough. Hopefully the mentions of Quade will stop after round 10.

T

TOCC

ASY (Angus Scott-Young) into the XV for Wright..

Ready, Lucas and R. Smith onto the bench. Fa’agase, McDermott and Mafi out of the 23.

1. James Slipper (C) – Bond University
2. Brandon Paenga-Amosa – Sunnybank
3. Taniela Tupou – Brothers
4. Izack Rodda – Easts
5. Kane Douglas – Norths
6. Angus Scott-Young – University of Queensland (run-on debut)
7. Adam Korczyk – University of Queensland
8. Caleb Timu – Souths
9. James Tuttle – GPS
10. Jono Lance – University of Queensland
11. Eto Nabuli – GPS
12. Samu Kerevi – Souths
13. Chris Feauai-Sautia – Souths
14. Filipo Daugunu – Wests
15. Aidan Toua – Easts

16. Andrew Ready – Easts
17. JP Smith – GPS
18. Ruan Smith – GPS (potential Queensland debut)
19. Harry Hockings – University of Queensland
20. Liam Wright – Easts
21. Ben Lucas – Sunnybank
22. Hamish Stewart – Bond University
23. Duncan Paia’aua – Norths

Status
Not open for further replies.