• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rd 5, - Reds v Jaguares - 18/3 - 7.40am Buenos Aires

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I didn’t think Nabuli was as poor as everyone else on here seems to have, however I think it’ll be a pretty easy decision when Perese comes back.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I didn’t think Nabuli was as poor as everyone else on here seems to have, however I think it’ll be a pretty easy decision when Perese comes back.

Did he actually do anything wrong?

T

TOCC

Yeah threw a pass to Daugunu who was in a far worse position then himself who was then tackled and isolated, its not the pass which is the issue rather the poor read of the defence at the time. Didn't drop back enough in support of kick returns enough, he had one good opportunity for a run but then slowed down looking for an offload which wasn't on. But more importantly he just doesn't have a good work-rate, or rather he doesn't know how to inject himself effectively.

I dont see Maranta as been any better, but Perese certainly is.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I've gotta say Stewart wasn't the only one with poor kicking that game, I think the Jaguars did a very very good job of attacking the kicker, there were a number of times a number of our were very visibly rushed into poor kicks. I do think we would have done well to have Lucas realize this and sent a forward runner or something, although to be fair it's easier said than done when you have been under that much pressure for that long.

My vote is Nabuli to play left right out (of the 23) Toua to the wing and Stewart to 15. Not that Nabuli really did anything wrong but just wasn't anywhere near as impressive as nearly all the other players (at any point of this season).

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I didn’t think so. The commentators criticised his pass to Daugunu - but I though Nabuli was a bit isolated if he didn’t pass. He seems to be having trouble getting through the line, and got stepped on the chase once or twice but I didn’t think he played particularly badly.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I didn’t think so. The commentators criticised his pass to Daugunu - but I though Nabuli was a bit isolated if he didn’t pass.

I think he got himself in that situation though. He tried to get on the outside of his man and didn't beat him so he was going to get tackled with little support and would have likely got turned over so he through the pass which was poor.

A better read of the situation sooner would have been to pass earlier so he stayed alive and could support Daugunu at the breakdown or straighten up so he was pushing through the gain line and was more likely to get support arriving from inside (and also making it clear to Daugunu that he needed to provide support because Nabuli wasn't passing).

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I read it slightly different on one viewing and thought Daugunu should have been a touch deeper in support, which would have put him in space from my recollection. But maybe I need to view again.

Even so, I am a bit surprised at the level of derision Nabauli is attracting lately. He is not carving up, that’s for sure, but I think he is playing reasonably, not giving away the silly penalties he did last year and is chasing kicks much harder. I seem to be in the minority though so I’m probably wrong.

I still think Perese will take the spot when he is back - although possibly come in from the bench.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Great sign!
DYingJfWsAAd1gq.jpg

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I thought the subs were well managed this week. Paenga-Amosa, Slipper and Tupou came off a lot earlier than they did last week, the swap between Scott Young and Wright worked well giving SY some experience starting and the Stewart for Lance sub worked out fine in the end (unsure whether it was tactical). Even though it was a physical game I expect a lot of guys to be fresh next week, contrast that with the Tahs who looked cooked coming from South Africa to South America.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
You've got to recognise that as an achievement.

The way that the Reds are playing is an achievement, in my book. Win, lose or draw, what matters is the way the team plays; and this team is playing excellent rugby.

If Thorn can keep the wheels on for the whole season, I reckon he should be in the Wallabies coaching complement for the World Cup.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
This is what RA have on their youtube, but it's just ASY (Angus Scott-Young), no Thorn or Slipper

I haven't seen anything else, but I think if his on field performance can match his press conference abilities we might have a future Wallabies Capitan on our hands. That's one of the best interviews given to a non-english speaking press I have seen in a long long time!

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I haven't seen anything else, but I think if his on field performance can match his press conference abilities we might have a future Wallabies Capitan on our hands. That's one of the best interviews given to a non-english speaking press I have seen in a long long time!
Does Medicine I believe and was a former Head Boy at Churchie, bit of a renaissance man.

Status
Not open for further replies.