• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rd 6 Stormers vs Reds Sun 25th 2.15 AEDST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I've taken off another week for having a clean record and potentially another week on top of that for his first and last name beginning with the same letter and having a Marvel Universe nickname.

You forgot that this was the second last sunday in the month, so you've gotta take 3 days off for that.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Watching the game live, the home broadcast team showed quite a few replays to try and get the TMO's attention. The side on view that has been played most since doesn't look great. The other angles show it in a better light, or so I thought at 2am. He looked to be making some token effort to bring his arms up and I'm not sure there was contact with the head, if it was it was very marginal. I agree it was a poor tackle and he is actually lucky to not get a few weeks but I'm also not surprised that he got off with a warning. He doesn't usually do stuff like that so I feel it was out of character.

What brought it and the other dodgy shot earlier in the game on? I have no idea, but I wouldn't mind guessing that he was just pumped for his good mate and mentor's 100th cap and really wanted to get out there and put in a massive game for him. The blood went to his head and that was the result. As I said though, just guessing.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Going to pump the refs again, but not clear how Higgers had a long rest while Tupou gets a slap on the wrist.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Because they were quite different hits. Higgers wasn't trying to do anything other than shoulder charge and made contact with RHP's (?) head. Tupou's was a poorly executed tackle that the judiciary said made contact with the Stormers wingers chest.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Because they were quite different hits. Higgers wasn't trying to do anything other than shoulder charge and made contact with RHP's (?) head. Tupou's was a poorly executed tackle that the judiciary said made contact with the Stormers wingers chest.

This is the crux of it. They found the contact wasn't high.

If Tupou's shoulder had first made contact with Barry's chin he would have definitely got suspended. He would have probably also got red carded because he hit him like a freight train and a direct hit to the chin would have probably knocked him out.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Watching the game live, the home broadcast team showed quite a few replays to try and get the TMO's attention. The side on view that has been played most since doesn't look great. The other angles show it in a better light, or so I thought at 2am. He looked to be making some token effort to bring his arms up and I'm not sure there was contact with the head, if it was it was very marginal. I agree it was a poor tackle and he is actually lucky to not get a few weeks but I'm also not surprised that he got off with a warning. He doesn't usually do stuff like that so I feel it was out of character.

What brought it and the other dodgy shot earlier in the game on? I have no idea, but I wouldn't mind guessing that he was just pumped for his good mate and mentor's 100th cap and really wanted to get out there and put in a massive game for him. The blood went to his head and that was the result. As I said though, just guessing.

Yeah, I agree with this assessment watching the game live. I felt like he did get one of his arms up to wrap and the player bounced out. The other thing is I think he got surprised with how quickly the attacking player came up on him.
I do feel like the home team media crew definitely helped push that to the judiciary with several replays form that really far angle where it looked really bad, but only once (likely when the TMO requested it) did they look at the angle that showed him getting an arm around him, and I don't think I've seen the reaction from Tupou where he goes up to and makes sure the player is okay after the hit, other than the one time we got during the live game.

TL;DR the home media team pushed something all the way to the judiciary. Stormers just need to take a teaspoon of cement, whatever happened to this guy. Rugby is a contact sport -- and so is dancing.

T

TOCC

I suspect the other angle shows Tupous right arm making contact first across the chest, yeah it was high hence the yellow card, but he didn’t lead with the shoulder into old mates chin.. otherwise it would have been a 4 week suspension easy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.