• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rd 6 Stormers vs Reds Sun 25th 2.15 AEDST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
IMO

Thor was poor all round. The way he had been playing I thought he was a chance of starting at 3 for the Wallabies,
He was unable to adjust and I think 2 full arms and a couple of shorts put our scrum under severe scrutiny by the Referee. It will be interesting if he gets cited.

The boys scrambled pretty well and can still hold their heads high.

Lucas was pretty average. Lots of stupid kicking.

The replacement props got smoked in that last 20 which was unusual.

Anyway, a well deserved week off coming up.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I dunno TOCC - looks like shoulder contact to the head to me with no arms.
Yeah, it's a couple of weeks if he didn't collect his chin, 4 if he did.
Back for sunwolves

Should have been red in game though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
At the start of t he OS tour, if you were offered a win and a bonus point loss you’d have taken it with open arms.

This sums it up for me. Glad everyone who stayed up enjoyed it, personally I found it the dour game I expected.

A win and a BP - awesome result from the SA tour. Plenty for them to work on in the break. But we should see them back at full strength (bar #3) and fired up. Season is getting interesting.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
That’s the funny thing Dru - it was by no means the best or most free flowing Reds game, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. They are working hard and playing with plenty of commitment and energy. Some execution let them down, but even the penalties were more inexperience then lack of discipline in my opinion. Guys like CFS who once looked lazy and disinterested look hard working, determined and disciplined.

I was a bit disappointed with the result but I am very much enjoying watching these guys play.

T

TOCC

I said at the start of the season I'm wouldn't be unhappy if the Reds lose but remain competitive and putting in throughout the match, and for me this match fits that category.

Yes they lost, and there were a few average performances but they remained competitive and kept putting in, i can always support a team who does that.. Far too often in 2016-2017 the Reds just capitulated and players gave up, i found that team hard to support.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Stormers in attack targeted the side of the field Kerevi was defending and often sent a dummy runner thru as it suckers him.

Poor defensive positioning resulted in the first try. Will be exploited more so at international level if he plays this season.

On the positive side Lance is solid and Toua is showing more willingness to go the contact route.

T

TOCC

Stormers in attack targeted the side of the field Kerevi was defending and often sent a dummy runner thru as it suckers him.

Poor defensive positioning resulted in the first try. Will be exploited more so at international level if he plays this season.

If you’re going to criticise a player make sure it’s the right one.

First try was caused when Paia’aua was beaten on the outside which forced Daugunu to come off the wing and take Paia’aua’s player, this is what created the overlap. Kerevi was inside of Paia’aua and had his own man to mark, once Paia’aua was beaten Kerevi tries to sweep across and cover but couldn’t catch the winger.

It was 3 on 3 and Paia’aua was caught flat footed and beaten on the outside. You could argue that Daugunu made a mistake coming off his wing, though I doubt Paia’aua was going to catch his man so it was a calculated risk.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
If you’re going to criticise a player make sure it’s the right one.

First try was caused when Paia’aua was beaten on the outside which forced Daugunu to come off the wing and take Paia’aua’s player, this is what created the overlap. Kerevi was inside of Paia’aua and had his own man to mark, once Paia’aua was beaten Kerevi tries to sweep across and cover but couldn’t catch the winger.

It was 3 on 3 and Paia’aua was caught flat footed and beaten on the outside. You could argue that Daugunu made a mistake coming off his wing, though I doubt Paia’aua was going to catch his man so it was a calculated risk.

I have viewed this again to check and the issue I have is that Kerevi was caught as is often the case in no mans land in defence, he didn't put himself in a position to contribute to the defensive alignment. He didn't mark up a player and this caused indecision in Paia'aua as to whether or not to drift out in defense and he had poor body position to effect the tackle. Kerevi needed to call it and mark up a player.

Also if he knew he wouldn't be able to mark up he need to drop into a sweeper role earlier, not end standing shoulder to shoulder with Paia'aua.

T

TOCC

I have viewed this again to check and the issue I have is that Kerevi was caught as is often the case in no mans land in defence, he didn't put himself in a position to contribute to the defensive alignment. He didn't mark up a player and this caused indecision in Paia'aua as to whether or not to drift out in defense and he had poor body position to effect the tackle. Kerevi needed to call it and mark up a player.

Also if he knew he wouldn't be able to mark up he need to drop into a sweeper role earlier, not end standing shoulder to shoulder with Paia'aua.

Watch it again then.

This no mans land that you claim he was in was actually marked up against his opposing player.

7eada680df38023e36a08594fa169377.jpg

Left to right: Kerevi, Paia’aua, Daugunu and Toua a fullback

I know people like to carry on about Kerevis defence, but Paia’aua was beaten by his man here plain and simple.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Watch it again then.

This no mans land that you claim he was in was actually marked up against his opposing player.

7eada680df38023e36a08594fa169377.jpg

Left to right: Kerevi, Paia’aua, Daugunu and Toua a fullback

I know people like to carry on about Kerevis defence, but Paia’aua was beaten by his man here plain and simple.

One still photo doesn't tell the story, need to look at it real time. Yes Paia'aua was beaten and missed a tackle, but this was the end effect of poor defensive alignment. In real time rolling video Kerevi doesn't mark up or threaten the attack, there needs to be a bit more decisiveness, it his indecision that's earning him the poor reputation not the actual mechanics of his tackling.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Equal fifth on the overall ladder and 3 from 5 with Sth African tour in the bank. This is an excellent start to the season. Need to build from here now.

One game at a time. We are in a good spot though as you say.

T

TOCC

One still photo doesn't tell the story, need to look at it real time. Yes Paia'aua was beaten and missed a tackle, but this was the end effect of poor defensive alignment. In real time rolling video Kerevi doesn't mark up or threaten the attack, there needs to be a bit more decisiveness, it his indecision that's earning him the poor reputation not the actual mechanics of his tackling.

Your right it doesn’t tell the full story, because Paia’aua set himself up for failure about 3 seconds before this. And what that photo does demonstrate is enough to show you’re grasping at straws in blaming Kerevi for this one.

It was drift defence, a defensive pattern regularly employed in broken field play, which in this case was a kick return. Paia’aua‘s real mistake actually came about 3 seconds before this when he pushed wide early. His overcommitted past the man he was marking, something you shouldn’t do in drift defence.. that’s what placed him in the awkward position and made him slow down and gave the opposition the opportunity to get on his outside.

No matter which way you look at it, that was Paia’aua’s man, he was in his channel, Daugunu had the man outside him, yet Duncan still overcommitted past him, and then was beaten by him on the outside.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Your right it doesn’t tell the full story, but It demonstrates enough to show you’re grasping at straws in blaming Kerevi for this one.

It was drift defence, a defensive pattern regularly employed in broken field play, which in this case was a kick return. Paia’aua‘s real mistake actually came about 3 seconds before this when he pushed wide early. His overcommitted past the man he was marking, something you shouldn’t do in drift defence.. that’s what placed him in the awkward position and made him slow down and gave the opposition the opportunity to get on his outside.

No matter which way you look at it, that was Paia’aua’s man, he overcommitted past him, and then was beaten by him on the outside.

I agree, however I'd like it stated for the record this isn't the type of mistake Paia'aua typically makes. Normally he's a good defender. :p

T

TOCC

I agree, however I'd like it stated for the record this isn't the type of mistake Paia'aua typically makes. Normally he's a good defender. :p

Hey I agree, mistakes are mistakes, Rhule was just smart enough to identify that Paia’aua had flat footed himself after pushing too wide too early

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Screen shot below Reds ended up with a 2 on 2 situation. Should have been 3 defenders on 2 attackers, look where ball carrier is and the defensive line drifting across Paia'aua was right to overcomit past him as Kerevi should have been coming thru to create 3 defenders on 2 attackers.

Anyway I am leaving it at that

IMG_3131.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.